UnrealEd constantly crashing during package editing

A refuge for those migrating from the fallen DXEditing.com and a place for general discussion relating to Deus Ex editing (coding, mapping, etc).
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Re: UnrealEd constantly crashing during package editing

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Something is wrong with your setup.

Recap:

There's no DeusEx.u in your DeusEx directory before you go to compile?
The editPackage lines are as specified?
All files are in the right places?
There's not an error with your code?
The DeusEx.u package is setup to be compiled correctly, as in all .uc classes are in DeusEx/DeusEx?
Can you even compile before making changes? Should establish that first.
Stanton_Blackbyrd
Thug

Post by Stanton_Blackbyrd »

Cybernetic pig wrote:Something is wrong with your setup.

Recap:
Can you even compile before making changes? Should establish that first.
A fair question to be asked, as I usually rush in headfirst when I want to edit something for personal amusement. Regardless, it would appear that I should perhaps wait until the latest (last?) version of GMDX is released, and then perhaps try again with merging & integrating bits & pieces of other Deus Ex mods into this one. But to answer the question, I have not performed a "test compile" with the files.

As for the other questions......
There's no DeusEx.u in your DeusEx directory before you go to compile?
The editPackage lines are as specified?
All files are in the right places?
There's not an error with your code?
The DeusEx.u package is setup to be compiled correctly, as in all .uc classes are in DeusEx/DeusEx?
No, Yes, Yes, Probably, due to attempts to integrate other complex features of Shifter, and Yes. XP

Moving on, though.....I seemingly resolved my issues in the whole "DebugInfo test functions" section by just deleting it outright. Didn't get any complaints from the compiler over it, but now I'm having different problems with "ScriptedPawn" (again, because of my attempts to test and/or integrate another Shifter feature). I should probably start over with a clean installation and just try to implement the "zyme" feature for now, then keep performing a clean installation for any other little difficult-to-integrate features.
Cybernetic pig wrote:In DeusEx\System find the DeusEx.ini file and under [Editor.EditorEngine] your EditPackages list should look like this:
EDIT: Almost missed a step.....I was wondering why UnrealEd wasn't working, and then I remembered that "Paths=..\GMDX\System\*.u" also had to be added to the *.ini, under "[Core.System]". :P
Stanton_Blackbyrd
Thug

Cybernetic pig wrote:Can you even compile before making changes? Should establish that first.
Test compile finished, and......well, then. I've run into what is clearly a rather major roadblock. My "DeusEx.u" file is properly compiled, and I've attempted to test the changes in-game. Zyme activates for all of one second, doesn't slow down the game speed like it's supposed to do, and then the effects "wear off", shifting JC into the regular "drunk state". I've copied over every bit of usable code that I could to make this work, and it still doesn't seem to want to work right. I know that I'm missing something because the intended "slow motion/bullet time" effects aren't activating like they should, but I have no idea of what. I'm thinking that perhaps you should look at the compiled *.u file yourself; maybe you'll have better luck figuring out why and/or how the whole integration process wound up schitzed.

In the meantime, perhaps I'll see if I can carefully integrate Yukichigai's "skill point system" without too much hazard. :/
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Stanton_Blackbyrd wrote:"slow motion/bullet time"

In the meantime, perhaps I'll see if I can carefully integrate Yukichigai's "skill point system" without too much hazard. :/
Slow motion bullet time AND skills for kills? The Deus Ex/GMDX defiling continues :P

I would take a look, but it'd take time to figure out. You can do this, just got to pull some hairs out and suffer before making actual progress. At least that was my process before actually learning what the hell I was doing in the early days.
latest (last?) version of GMDX is released
Should be. There's more potential but without the community pulling together (more than it already has) it can't be met, so this will likely be it.
Stanton_Blackbyrd
Thug

Cybernetic pig wrote:Slow motion bullet time AND skills for kills? The Deus Ex/GMDX defiling continues :P
No, that was me just being a smartass....or at least trying to be. :wacko: I already tried getting that to work, and the only way that it succeeds is if someone smarter than me makes it happen. ](*,)
I would take a look, but it'd take time to figure out. You can do this, just got to pull some hairs out and suffer before making actual progress.
Just let me know where to upload it......probably going to be bald like an eagle before I'm finished. Image
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

No, that was me essentially saying I don't want to do it as it is too time consuming, and I believe in you, that you can do it if you really persevere.

But fine. I want to see people making add-ons so I'll give you a little boost.

Use an online code comparison tool like: https://www.diffchecker.com/

Post the unmodified GMDXv8.0 DeusExPlayer.uc on the left, and then the GMDXv8.0 DeusExPlayer.uc with your changes on the right. Make sure you store it on the website, click compare and provide me the link.
Stanton_Blackbyrd
Thug

Cybernetic pig wrote:No, that was me essentially saying I don't want to do it as it is too time consuming, and I believe in you, that you can do it if you really persevere.

But fine. I want to see people making add-ons so I'll give you a little boost.

Use an online code comparison tool like: https://www.diffchecker.com/

Post the unmodified GMDXv8.0 DeusExPlayer.uc on the left, and then the GMDXv8.0 DeusExPlayer.uc with your changes on the right. Make sure you store it on the website, click compare and provide me the link.
You're probably wondering what the hell happened, and why I'm just now posting this link......long story short, I've been dealing with numerous issues which include (but are not limited to) moving, getting a new job, finding a new place to live, and more or less arguing with ISPs that don't seem to very much like actually selling their customers the service(s) that they're being paid to provide. At any rate, this is the link to the code differences page. :/

https://www.diffchecker.com/uaeMNTKf
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

The DeusExPlayer.uc seems complete as of now. What's the problem, it won't compile? What's the error?
Stanton_Blackbyrd
Thug

Cybernetic pig wrote:The DeusExPlayer.uc seems complete as of now. What's the problem, it won't compile? What's the error?
*grumblegrumble* Forgetful me is forgetful, as usual......you're going to need these, as well. Sorry about that! :-/

https://www.diffchecker.com/NpqoTpDQ

https://www.diffchecker.com/v2lr6bnc

https://www.diffchecker.com/NVSOeNcl
Stanton_Blackbyrd
Thug

EDIT: Well, it looks like I can go ahead and take a break from editing for now. At any rate, thanks for all the help so far.

EDIT 02: Skill point award system successfully integrated. Points now being granted for bot, monster, and humanoid kills.

EDIT 03: Bullet time features successfully integrated as of noon today. As stated before, thanks for the help.