Smoke39 mod v0.2a released

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Dark Reality
UNATCO

Post by Dark Reality »

All of em, except where a new feature added by Smoke directly conflicts with a new feature added by Shifter - in which case a choice would have to be made as to which feature to keep. AFAIK there aren't any conflicts; you'd have to work with Yuki on that. No one knows Smoke more than you and no one knows Shifter better than Yuki. But here are some of the features from Shifter that I'd like to see in a Shifter/Smoke collaboration:

-Skill points for kills, and the stealth bonus (gives you X skill points at the beginning of each mission, depending on how many enemies did not see you). (This MIGHT be a conflict with your system of skill points being taken off the requirement to upgrade to the next skill level - but I couldn't decide, both systems are really smart.)

-Joining the Combat Strength and Melee mods into one and the alternative being EMP Damage

-Shifter's new weapons and plot points (Schick giving you the upgrade canister if you rescue him and the convo between Tong and Leb)

I'm downloading Smoke 0.2a now - I'll give it a shot, see what I like and what I don't, get back to you on that.

I made a post about the new Smoke mod over on GameFAQs. The Universal FAQ sticky has a link to 0.1a, but Smoke doesn't really get a lot of attention, and it deserves it - the feedback Yuki gets on Shifter really goes into future versions. Here's the link - note that I combined the changelog and download link as opposed to linking here or to the DXediting.com forum link - I figure GF being so minimalist, the community would appreciate a more comprehensive topic with a direct download.
Smoke39
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by Smoke39 »

ThalesA7X wrote:Kind of yea. but only when you gib them.
No, they drop it as long as it's drawn, regardless of how they were killed.

Nathan: I'm not sure how feasable it is to mix the two mods. It's a lot of code to merge, and I don't even remember everything I've changed in mind. It would also be harder to continue making future versions, because every time one of us finished a new version, we'd have to also add it to the mixed mod. That's more work than I really have time for.
warman
UNATCO

Post by warman »

For some reason when I installed this frobbing items made the ammo counter go down and the gun makes a firing motion, with no actual firing.
NiroZ, the same
Thug

Post by NiroZ, the same »

Hey, does anyone know were i can find the latest Shifter mod, and/or the full changelogs for Shifter, DXNathan and Smoke39?
currently hiding in a cardboard box.
fub
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by fub »

dxnathan is a mod?
ThalesA7X
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by ThalesA7X »

I am looking for the link to download shifter bu while I'm looking, DXNathan isn't a mod, but he took yuki's mod Shifter and changed some stuff to fit his wishes. Here is what DXNathan posted when he first posted the thread on gamespot/faq forums.

"The aim of the ShifterPlus project is to take the DX experience beyond Shifter, to make a more relaxed game. For example, the player should never be told they have too many of an item or ammo. All mods should work on all weapons (within reason). You should be able to fire your weapons underwater (since you can sure as **** be shot underwater). Things like that.

A lot of people are suggesting some radical ideas to Yukichigai, the author of Shifter, and I get the feeling that he doesn't want to make the game too easy, that he wants to preserve the integrity of the game's balance. While I respect that, I'd like to do more. The way I see it, people will use Shifter when they want to play a serious game (IMHO Shifter should completely replace original DX) and ShifterPlus when they want to play a fun game without necessarily cheating.

I am taking suggestions, but I warn you that my coding experience is very, very limited. I will often have to ask for help. But I would like to incorporate your suggestions as long as they fit with my vision of ShifterPlus.

Here is what ShifterPlus does (in addition to Shifter):

1. Ammo and item stack limits are increased by about tenfold.
2. Biocells and repair/medical bots give more, and the bots take less time to recharge.
3. Some guns' specs are tweaked.
4. All guns can be fired underwater and fitted with all mods (with a couple exceptions, like you can't silence a shotgun - but you can now silence the Pistol) (Shifter weapons are untouched).
5. Skill costs are tweaked. More useful skills cost a bit more, less useful skills cost less, so JC can be more diverse.
6. No penalty for killing "friendly" targets. They pay the same as they would if they were "hostile".
7. The laser should be more accurate (like vanilla DX) but this is being worked on.

Wanna download it? http://files.filefront.com//;5438784;;/"

There is a link to shifter plus but I am still looking for regular shifter.

EDIT: Here is a link to DL Shifter. I am not promising that it is the most up to date one but it is shifter. http://www.savefile.com/projects/218988
JC_Helios
X-51

Post by JC_Helios »

While Shifter plus may suffice, I find that some of Nathan's changes detract from the Shifter feel, and begin to look like Shifter...Plus "a poor mans hardcore". No offense to Nathan, I'm sure with a little more experience, and maybe a little help he can make more defining changes.

as for Shifter and it's changes:

Savefile is where Yuki releases new versions, and video demos first, but it has been down the past few days.

I would upload the newest version(1.7 beta) to filefront, but the upload system is currently down.

The last version before 1.7 beta can be found here:

http://files.filefront.com/Shifter_V_16 ... einfo.html

Click on: "more details about this file" to read the majority of the Shifter readme, and the changes Shifter has made.

Nathan's ShifterPlus is built on top of 1.7 beta I believe, so besides his changes ShifterPlus is the most recent Shifter currently available.
NiroZ, the same
Thug

Post by NiroZ, the same »

Thanks for the info/links. However, are you sure that that is the 1.7 beta version? it says its 1.6 final, and on the filename 11.6(which i assume is a typo).

Edit: it is 1.6 No idea how you thought it was 1.7 beta
currently hiding in a cardboard box.
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

NiroZ, the same wrote:Edit: it is 1.6 No idea how you thought it was 1.7 beta
The last version before 1.7 beta can be found here:
The upload system of filefront is down, apparently, so it cannot be uploaded there. :)
JC_Helios
X-51

Post by JC_Helios »

Filefront's uploading system is back up, so...:

Version 1.7 beta:

http://files.filefront.com/shift_17_bet ... einfo.html
NVShacker
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by NVShacker »

My only problem with the Smoke mod is that Realistic is too hardcore.

Think I'm exaggerating or being whiny? Go talk to the NSF commander and tell him you're sending him back to the people in a body bag. He kills me before the engine is accepting input again :X
NVShacker
Are you still there?
Smoke39
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by Smoke39 »

I just tried playing the game on realistic without my mod and it seems that enemies were perhaps less accurate. Not sure what would have changed that. But in any case, the lower difficulty settings are there for a reason, same as always.

Speaking of difficulty, In the next version I'm thinking of giving more precise control over it. As it is, the damage you take is mutlitplied on easy by 1, on medium by 1.5, on hard by 2, and on realistic by 4. I think a slider would be better than these discrete settings. And I think I may add sliders for other new aspects of difficulty, such as max carrying capacity for medkits and such.
NVShacker
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by NVShacker »

Well I have no issues with Realistic in regular DX, and I've never felt that Realistic was meant to be harder than hard, just more... realistic in its damage modeling and whatnot (I thought Hard was harder than Realistic, but I could be wrong). Thing with that scenario though is that survival is, as far as I can tell, impossible if an NPC attacks you at the end of a convo. I can of course jump out and take other NPCs by suprise but I don't think it seems right that the chubby relatively peace loving NSF commander would be able to pull out his pistol and shoot before I could. I guess it's not the accuracy so much as the response time.

EDIT- Also, slider control over difficulty would be neat. Yay DX GUI coding! You can always put any properties that would be too verbose for simple difficulty selection in config variables of course.
NVShacker
Are you still there?
Smoke39
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by Smoke39 »

The only thing difficulty does is multiply the amount of damage you recieve from enemies. Realistic doubles the damage over hard; it's definitely supposed to be the next set up after hard. As for reaction time, I haven't changed the AI at all.

As for the difficulty sliders, I'll probably leave buttons for the old difficulty settings as presets, and have the new sliders set by default to the original DX values as optionally configurable settings.