GMDXv9.0 Release

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Re: GMDXv9.0 Announced

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Well, it is tempting, but the work involved ensures my standards stay high anyway:

Potential explosion art assets
Programming of 'nade behaviour
Inventory description
Inventory Icons
Item placement
Balance shift considerations
Should the enemy use it, and if so how does that influence gameplay, how frequently should it be used etc?

I'd have to do all that, along with the doubt that a simple reskin of the model is good enough, so the grenade better be damn well worth putting in the game. Is it though? It'd be cool AND fitting, but Deus Ex isn't begging for it.

I will consider it though, because cool and fitting are two notable criteria to meet.
Kelkos
UNATCO

Post by Kelkos »

I'll work on the inventory icons, and descriptions. Balancing is not an issue as flame resistant mj12 elites are present, also you can place these in tight corners where key plots are played for example, when arresting the leader, a napalm grenade is placed. In the 747, a napalm grenade is placed etc
Being a soldier isn't just following orders, it's following those orders in the service of a higher cause. When that cause is betrayed, we're not soldiers anymore, just pieces on a chess board dying for the wrong reason.
Salk
UNATCO

Post by Salk »

My two cents is that it is not really needed nor is it worth the trouble to introduce it.

The obvious risk is that you will regret it like you did for other new weapons which were subsequently removed from GMDX.
Kelkos
UNATCO

Post by Kelkos »

It will further improve gameplay as it could be used a challenges to stop the player from reaching his goal.
Being a soldier isn't just following orders, it's following those orders in the service of a higher cause. When that cause is betrayed, we're not soldiers anymore, just pieces on a chess board dying for the wrong reason.
Kelkos
UNATCO

Post by Kelkos »

If you don't want to code it, just borrow the napalm grenade form BioMod, it's going to save you the trouble.
Bird
NSF

Post by Bird »

Kelkos wrote:[…]just borrow the napalm grenade form BioMod[…]
This statement of yours makes me shiver for I would not do such a thing. I would rather implement it myself, or scrap the whole idea. But hey, this is just me!
Made in China
MJ12

Post by Made in China »

Speaking of grenades, there are many types of real-world grenades that can be implemented - some that can diversify the gameplay, and some that are very redundant even though useful in real life situations.

--Colored flares, because why not.
--Smoke grenades - maybe decrease accuracy and detection range of NPCs? Also, can be colored.
Most quick activation smoke greandes are WP grenades, and can ignite their surrounding in the initial flash.
https://youtu.be/CjlJi4l0cBs
--Incendiary / Molotov cokctails - already discussed.
--Flashbang (modern grenades are just "bangs", flash may trigger epilepsy) - causes some NPCs to panic.
--Rubber pellet grenade - similar to a regular grenade, but causes less than lethal damage. Very impractical and redundant when you have gas grenades and enemies don't use hazmat suits.
--Seeing as grenades and mines are interchangeable in Deus Ex, those can be upgraded too - most mines differ from one another in activation and power, but some have different methods of operation (such as Bouncing Betty). I can see it being unfair in Deus Ex.

With all of these options on the table, it's impractical to implement all of them for both balance reasons, inventory reasons and time. However, I think smoke grenades, especially those that can ignite on activation, are the best to include if in need for another grenade. It also solves the issue of having NPCs running straight into the fire due to it not leaving a lingering flame.
Bogie
UNATCO

Post by Bogie »

Well, I made a suggestion a while back to CyberP to make EMP grenades act as flashbangs towards enemies using tech goggles or have some sort of augmented vision (Basically, they would begin rubbing there eyes for a second). To add on to that, normal NPC's would maybe panic from EMP exploding.

This could apply to flares too, since the initial activation would probably blind anyone directly looking at it.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Bogie wrote:Well, I made a suggestion a while back to CyberP to make EMP grenades act as flashbangs towards enemies using tech goggles or have some sort of augmented vision (Basically, they would begin rubbing there eyes for a second).
It's tempting...extra incentive to use it vs augmented/tech-using enemies rather than solely disabling their cloak etc.

As for new grenades, meh. Four grenade types is enough. Demolition skill is as I want it to be in version 9.
Bogie
UNATCO

Post by Bogie »

Another cool idea for an AI change; civilians who see dead bodies will begin running with there Panic animation and maybe do there on fire bark. It would probably look incredibly dumb, but it's sorta realistic since seeing a dead body would probably scare the crap out of you.

Npc's who see gore faint (Okay, so maybe not, but you know...)
Kelkos
UNATCO

Post by Kelkos »

No offense , Bogie but that's a little cartoonish.
Bogie
UNATCO

Post by Bogie »

Heheh, I guess your right about that. :mrgreen:
Made in China
MJ12

Post by Made in China »

This already exists. Non combatants will panic for a little bit and run away from the corpse, like they should. It makes you feel like your actions aren't really acceptable, but it doesn't break anything.
Kelkos
UNATCO

Post by Kelkos »

I'm starting to think that Made In China hates me. :-k
Kelkos
UNATCO

Post by Kelkos »

Also , CyberP, watch this video , you could use it to further market your mod.

Someone should replace deusex with GMDX tho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XY045AMeoUc