GMDXv9.0 Release

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Bogie
UNATCO

Re: GMDXv9.0 Announced

Post by Bogie »

Kelkos wrote:I'm starting to think that Made In China hates me. :-k
dude what
where did that come from

also
Kelkos wrote:that's a little cartoonish.
:-k k bud
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Kelkos wrote:Also , CyberP, watch this video , you could use it to further market your mod.

Someone should replace deusex with GMDX tho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XY045AMeoUc
How'd you suppose I do that?

You can by mentioning GMDX on the video comments, alongside the GMDX comments that are already there. I can't because people don't like self-promotion.

Additionally, I don't want to spend much time on marketing. Anyone can talk and spread the word to the wider fanbase. Not everyone can code, employ good game design, use the level editor etc. Hence I should be modding and fans should be doing the lackey work ;)
Thankfully GMDX is recommended frequently these days, but still not as frequently as it deserves.
Kelkos
UNATCO

Post by Kelkos »

Bogie wrote:
dude what
where did that come from

also
It's still worth a laugh :lol:
Being a soldier isn't just following orders, it's following those orders in the service of a higher cause. When that cause is betrayed, we're not soldiers anymore, just pieces on a chess board dying for the wrong reason.
DevAnj
UNATCO

Post by DevAnj »

The guy behind that video, mkaelus, is very much aware of GMDX, he's recommended it several times and even made a trailer of sorts for it. If you think that's a good idea, you could try requesting him to do it. He probably won't agree though, especially since a gag is less effective if reused with few changes.

Regarding GMDX popularity, I don't think it will ever reach Revision's levels of popularity, but it has been steadily gaining recognition ever since the last release. I have a feeling that the release of v9 will do fine and give the mod the exposure it deserves, though nothing big like New Vision or Revision. Besides, it can be used to embellish your resume if you know how exactly to present it.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

I'm not expecting No Man's Sky/Revision levels of hype. The works that actually deserve that level of exposure never get it these days.
As long as true/core fans keep doing their thing and pointing people to GMDX as the "definitive Deus Ex experience" all will be well. I don't intend to market extensively and professionally, so I shouldn't expect all the sheep to automatically be herded.
Made in China
MJ12

Post by Made in China »

I'd say MOTY is a great way to raise awareness, but unfortunately it's a bit too late to raise awareness right now. Something should've been released earlier this month or late November for it to work. Since GMDX implements game-wide changes, maybe more images/gifs/YouTube videos? Some sort of hype could've been created for it.

Anyway, since other mods can and will do it all along the MOTY competition, it's a bad time to put in ANY effort in marketing, as GMDX will be trumped. Shortly after it's over, though, seems optimal - especially if close to release.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Nah, I'm not doing much of anything. Just leaving it to the fans. It'll be the same as always: an article here and there, and a trailer at launch.

I don't have a degree in marketing, I don't have a website developer on the team, and I don't have connections to Square-Enix. I don't have much a willingness for marketing in general. It's fine, fans will carry it. Deus Ex itself had shit marketing too, but it lives on today because of its quality.
Made in China
MJ12

Post by Made in China »

Can't argue with that. I also think that GMDX has enough of a fanbase for it to live on in the heart of the Deus Ex community.

Also, speaking of your site - it really should be revamped. Due to lack of (properly implemented?) CSS everything is misaligned, and that kind of makes it a chore to read through. I don't think it deters anyone from playing GMDX, but it also doesn't reflect it as well as it should.
Maybe someone from /r/CSS can help with that. Also, its link should be shortened to something catchier, but I don't see it being a problem since gmdx seems like a random selection of letters (such as xkcd).
Bogie
UNATCO

Post by Bogie »

Made in China wrote:[...]since gmdx seems like a random selection of letters (such as xkcd).
GMDX is an abbreviation for Give Me Deus Ex (Difficulty mode from Human Revolution). But yeah, I suppose it would work for a link since it's short.
Kelkos wrote:
Bogie wrote:
dude what
where did that come from

also
It's still worth a laugh :lol:
Yeah. :D
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

8 hours remain to vote GMDX for Mod of the Year: http://www.moddb.com/mods/gmdx
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

The need for a flawless, highly user-friendly installer exemplified: https://steamcommunity.com/app/6910/dis ... 678/?ctp=2
That GMDX mod sucks. My steam is in D: and the game cannot even open. I don't have to do a bunch of complicated stuff that I don't even care about to my own computer in order to get this useless crap working, if they cannot make the mod be able to detect steam on it's own, then that just means it's not good enough and a ♥♥♥♥♥♥ mod. Next.
Kelkos
UNATCO

Post by Kelkos »

Not Hillary or Trump ?

Screw this , you have my vote ;)

Unless you DID include that napalm grenade :evil:
Being a soldier isn't just following orders, it's following those orders in the service of a higher cause. When that cause is betrayed, we're not soldiers anymore, just pieces on a chess board dying for the wrong reason.
DevAnj
UNATCO

Post by DevAnj »

This gave me a chuckle:
I've finished the game with GMDX 8.0, and from the planned changes for 9.0 that I've read from the site, I can say it's just gonna become another revision mod. Planned changes for 9.0 are nothing but texture and graphical design changes that takes too many liberties. I would suggest just storing version 8.0 away, even.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Yeah...same dumb bastard that made the other statement quoted above.
One doesn't just create "the definitive Deus Ex experience" and then suddenly fuck it all up, as if it were down to chance as opposed to love, care, and a good understanding of what the game can benefit from and what it cannot. v9.0 will be on yet another level.
Bogie
UNATCO

Post by Bogie »

Everyone; Vote for GMDX. It's now in the Top 100 with Revision.
http://www.moddb.com/groups/2016-mod-of ... #vote22166