GMDXv9.0 Release

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Kelkos
UNATCO

Re: GMDXv9.0 Announced

Post by Kelkos »

You DID add the Napalm Grenade ? Right.
Being a soldier isn't just following orders, it's following those orders in the service of a higher cause. When that cause is betrayed, we're not soldiers anymore, just pieces on a chess board dying for the wrong reason.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

No, and I never said I would. I said I'd consider it.
Kelkos
UNATCO

Post by Kelkos »

Oh come on <_<

I'd too CONSIDER voting
Being a soldier isn't just following orders, it's following those orders in the service of a higher cause. When that cause is betrayed, we're not soldiers anymore, just pieces on a chess board dying for the wrong reason.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

You're walking on thin ice, Skrillax/Kelkos.
Kelkos
UNATCO

Post by Kelkos »

Meanin`
Kelkos
UNATCO

Post by Kelkos »

Ugggggggggggghhhhhhh :cry:

Sorry, ok, I guess I got a little too carried off with the whole Napalm Grenade thing. Ok , but is was a cool addition though. Shame to see someone trashing a really good idea.

P.S I'm sorry cause you helped me in various other things. YOU WIN =D>

This Time :evil:
Kelkos
UNATCO

Post by Kelkos »

The Napalm Grenade would be a nice addition though
DevAnj
UNATCO

Post by DevAnj »

Cybernetic pig wrote:Deus Ex itself had shit marketing too, but it lives on today because of its quality.
I don't quite agree. I remember it was featured in several gaming magazines of the time and there was a decent amount of hype around it thanks to Warren Spector and Harvey Smith's involvement. Deus Ex also did commercially well, and it was certainly deemed good enough to spin a whole franchise around it. But this is off topic.

I don't think a napalm grenade is necessary, I think the fire based weapons are dangerous and common enough already, if anything I feel flame damage should be nerfed a touch. I do think there needs to be more grenades for the demolitions expert playstyles though, maybe not necessarily explosives but just stuff like gas and emp grenades.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

You have seen the trailer, right?

"Shit" marketing was probably an overstatement. Fact of the matter is it achieved cult status, didn't have an extensive marketing budget, and it didn't really meet the mainstream nor the core PC gaming audience in the same way Doom or Half-Life did.
A lot of this is down to marketing or the lack thereof.
Bird
NSF

Post by Bird »

Cybernetic pig wrote:Deus Ex itself had shit marketing too, but it lives on today because of its quality.
Same thing happened and happens with VTMB. Not to mention that game had Half-Life 2 as competitor.
DevAnj
UNATCO

Post by DevAnj »

Cybernetic pig wrote: it didn't really meet the mainstream nor the core PC gaming audience in the same way Doom or Half-Life did.
A lot of this is down to marketing or the lack thereof.
I would argue that it wasn't really aiming for the audience of those two games. Those are basically straight up shooters, and so inherently carry more mass appeal than a weird mixture of shooter and RPG. I would wager even with better marketing it wouldn't really wean many more people across.

I can predict that you will now pull up the example of Bioshock to disprove me, but Bioshock was really more of a shooter than anything else, and as such the RPG elements were very simplified and took a backseat. Yes, the marketing did help it, but really most of the hype came simply because it was Ken Levine's first "independent" project, so to speak. Without Ken Levine's name and more importantly his grandiose promises, Bioshock would probably not have received much attention and would just be known as a big name shooter of its day.

Also yes, I did see that trailer. It's pretty typical of 90s game trailers, to be honest. Yeah it seems weird now but back in the day it was par for the course, especially since we had neither good recording software nor Youtube. :p
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

I would wager even with better marketing it wouldn't really wean many more people across.
Uh huh. People will buy literal dogshit as ornaments if presented effectively enough. How is this still not concrete knowledge in people's minds? No Mans Sky was a mainstream success solely because of its marketing, for example. It was a success before ever being put on the market.
whether or not it is actually a good game is not even relevant, because its fate was sealed by extremely good marketing. Yes, it was met with a lot of anger and refunds, but all said and done it wiped the floor with many other indie projects in terms of financial success.

Leaving the videogame world for a moment, just what exactly are cigarettes? Cancer sticks. Addictive, make you smell, wane on your health, drain your money, little to no upsides at all.
Worldwide phenomenon, why? Primarily marketing and cultural influence. Back in the day cigarettes were marketed as a thing for cool and classy people with money to waste. Even today tobacco marketing spending is still in the billions.

Only in this world can you persuade a man into lifetime purchasing of his slow, painful death and heavily damaging his general well-being because it's "cool" and "everyone else is doing it".
DevAnj wrote: I would argue that it wasn't really aiming for the audience of those two games.
They overlap. Good chance almost all us Deus Ex fans have played Doom or Half-Life.

We're trailing off topic. Deus Ex didn't have the best or most extensive of marketing. It achieved cult status, and that status is strong and keeps it well alive almost exclusively because of the game's quality. We're all here today because of said quality. That was my original point and I don't wish to discuss the specifics or wager what could have been. I said it had shit marketing, that may have been a slight overstatement, let us leave it at that.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

because its fate was sealed by extremely good marketing
Lets say "effective" marketing, as "good" has positive connotations when I'd wager all my cigarettes that a lot of it was not positive at all, but rather shady manipulation of the market. Starting with plain old lies/false advertising.

I still find it funny/sad that Spector bought into the hype. Wisdom is supposed to come with age, they say...Unless he was just using it as research, but I don't know why you'd announce your purchase of it if that was the case, nor why you wouldn't just see through the bullshit and look elsewhere for worthwhile indie projects as opposed to directly supporting the unworthy with your time and money.
Bird
NSF

Post by Bird »

I just had the sudden urge to correct your logic and statement to make things look all right:
Cybernetic pig wrote:Leaving the videogame world for a moment, just what exactly are cigarettes? Cancer sticks. Addictive, make you smell, wane on your health, drain your money, little to no upsides at all.---SNIP---
Only in this world can you persuade a man into lifetime purchasing of his slow, painful death and heavily damaging his general well-being because it's "cool" and "everyone else is doing it".
You are missing one, but a vital (heh) point of smoking cigarettes. After a while, you start to crave for it. Said cravings makes you irritated. If something bad happens to you in an emotional way, you feel to have a cigarette to make sure things are OKAY. After you had a cigarette and you have the feeling that you got your fix, you feel uplifted for a while, but some hours later cravings takes place and makes you irritated wanting to have a cigarette again. But when you are smoking, you have the false illusion that it makes your life easy and bearable for a short time. In exchange, you are living a life on borrowed time.

Catch 22 and whatnot. Going cold turkey probably would make one bat-shit crazy while having mood swings. Those things I expressed above I think are the only “benefits” of smoking cigarettes, pipe smoking, inhaling nicotine, placing snus, vaping, whatever is cool and trendy these days.
Bird
NSF

Post by Bird »

Cybernetic pig wrote:I still find it funny/sad that Spector bought into the hype. Wisdom is supposed to come with age, they say...
It seems Warren downloaded NMS around 4 months ago alongside with Fallout 4. Probably, he just needed a break. Was he really hyped about NMS some months ago? I think hype means 'everyone buys a copy'. I bought Minecraft too back then. Had some good fun with it and that is it.