GMDXv9.0 Release

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

DevAnj
UNATCO

Re: GMDXv9.0 Announced

Post by DevAnj »

Cybernetic pig wrote: Uh huh. People will buy literal dogshit as ornaments if presented effectively enough. How is this still not concrete knowledge in people's minds? No Mans Sky was a mainstream success solely because of its marketing, for example. It was a success before ever being put on the market.
whether or not it is actually a good game is not even relevant, because its fate was sealed by extremely good marketing. Yes, it was met with a lot of anger and refunds, but all said and done it wiped the floor with many other indie projects in terms of financial success.
You're missing some context. What drew people to No Man's Sky was not just bombastic marketing, it was the promise of being able to visit literally millions of planets and do a lot of space activities, including mining for materials, crafting, space fighting, and more. Its appeal was akin to Minecraft, an already much successful game. It was just different enough in mechanics and used the space theme and flashy graphics to sell. If No Man's Sky had been, say, a generic third person shooter, no amount of marketing would have gained it the hype it got.

The appeal of cigarettes is harder to quantify, but it's not as simple as you make it out to be. Bird already elaborated on it somewhat.

I also doubt Warren Spector bought into the hype, it's more likely he did it just to show support for the developers. In the game industry any connections you can make help after all.

I think we need an economist and psychologist to truly determine the effects of marketing here. Lol.
Salk
UNATCO

Post by Salk »

DevAnj wrote:I don't think a napalm grenade is necessary, I think the fire based weapons are dangerous and common enough already, if anything I feel flame damage should be nerfed a touch. I do think there needs to be more grenades for the demolitions expert playstyles though, maybe not necessarily explosives but just stuff like gas and emp grenades.
I completely agree.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

DevAnj wrote: You're missing some context. What drew people to No Man's Sky was not just bombastic marketing, it was the promise of being able to visit literally millions of planets and do a lot of space activities, including mining for materials, crafting, space fighting, and more.
Promises, as in how the game was presented, as in marketing. False advertising at that. You are aware much of what was promised was not delivered on, right?
I also doubt Warren Spector bought into the hype, it's more likely he did it just to show support for the developers. In the game industry any connections you can make help after all.
No, he chose NMS. If he showed support for every developer in such a way then his twitter feed will be full with "just bought x, y & z" every five minutes.

Everyone involved in gaming picks and chooses what to buy and play, and ultimately support. Too many games, not enough time.

Oh DevAnj. One of these days I'm going actually learn my lesson and ignore you. You trigger me harder than kelkos.
bird wrote:I bought Minecraft too back then. Had some good fun with it and that is it.
Minecraft and NMS are different cases. Minecraft grew after release, did as advertised, and is commonly considered to be a measurably good game on a baseline level, opinions aside. As in it is feature complete, it resembles a game, its price to content value is reasonable. Myself I've hardly played it and therefore have no valuable opinion to give on it, but I know its nothing like the events that led to the NMS shitstorm of success.
DevAnj
UNATCO

Post by DevAnj »

Cybernetic pig wrote: Promises, as in how the game was presented, as in marketing. False advertising at that. You are aware much of what was promised was not delivered on, right?
Yes I am. However, this challenges your claim that marketing alone can make people buy something. Consider the issue of No Man's Sky's development team. Since they have lost the trust and goodwill of people, they're going to have a harder time convincing them again, no matter which PR genius they approach. So marketing alone isn't enough, though it is a big deal.
Cybernetic pig wrote: No, he chose NMS. If he showed support for every developer in such a way then his twitter feed will be full with "just bought x, y & z" every five minutes.
You're going by the assumption that Warren buys games every 5 minutes. Didn't you know that he's a university professor, and is thus not likely to spend too much time on gaming? Not to mention he's been roped for several projects recently, including Underworld Ascendant and the System Shock 2 sequel. So I think it's more likely just his way of showing support.
Cybernetic pig wrote: Oh DevAnj. One of these days I'm going actually learn my lesson and ignore you. You trigger me harder than kelkos.
Is this really how you handle disagreement? :p

Anyway, back to GMDX. Jonas, please split this and other posts discussing the effects of marketing into another thread.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Bird wrote:I just had the sudden urge to correct your logic and statement to make things look all right:
Cybernetic pig wrote:Leaving the videogame world for a moment, just what exactly are cigarettes? Cancer sticks. Addictive, make you smell, wane on your health, drain your money, little to no upsides at all.---SNIP---
Only in this world can you persuade a man into lifetime purchasing of his slow, painful death and heavily damaging his general well-being because it's "cool" and "everyone else is doing it".
You are missing one, but a vital (heh) point of smoking cigarettes. After a while, you start to crave for it. Said cravings makes you irritated. If something bad happens to you in an emotional way, you feel to have a cigarette to make sure things are OKAY. After you had a cigarette and you have the feeling that you got your fix, you feel uplifted for a while, but some hours later cravings takes place and makes you irritated wanting to have a cigarette again. But when you are smoking, you have the false illusion that it makes your life easy and bearable for a short time. In exchange, you are living a life on borrowed time.

Catch 22 and whatnot. Going cold turkey probably would make one bat-shit crazy while having mood swings. Those things I expressed above I think are the only “benefits” of smoking cigarettes, pipe smoking, inhaling nicotine, placing snus, vaping, whatever is cool and trendy these days.
The words of a fellow smoker, or ex-smoker.

My logic was perfectly fine. The addiction happens after the advertising and cultural/social influence gets to the individual and is therefore irrelevant. Nearly every to-be smoker knows before their first puff that it is bad, but they do it anyway because tobacco companies made it a normal part of society in the early days.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tobacco_advertising
Targeting youth[edit]
Prior to 1964, many of the cigarette companies advertised their brand by claiming that their product did not have serious health risks. A couple of examples would be "Play safe with Philip Morris" and "More doctors smoke Camels". Such claims were made both to increase the sales of their product and to combat the increasing public knowledge of smoking's negative health effects.[18]
Much cigarette advertising was intended to target youth. Major cigarette companies would advertise their brands in popular TV shows such as The Flintstones and The Beverly Hillbillies, which were watched by many children and teens.[19] In 1964, after facing much pressure from the public, The Cigarette Advertising Code was created by the Tobacco companies, which prohibited advertising directed to youth.[18]
The use of celebrities and famous athletes would also encourage smoking for youth. Popular comedian Bob Hope was used to advertise for cigarette companies.[18] The African-American magazine Ebony often used athletes to advertise major cigarette brands.[20]
To use my favorite Deus Ex quote: "When you have the youth, you have everything".

Cigarettes wormed their way into society and are here to stay now, unless they are outright banned.
DevAnj wrote: Is this really how you handle disagreement? :p
Don't act innocent. You've been a thorn in my side for some time now and you know it.
Last edited by Cybernetic pig on Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
DevAnj
UNATCO

Post by DevAnj »

Cybernetic pig wrote:
Don't act innocent. You've been a thorn in my side for some time now and you know it.
Only because I disagree on some vital points, like universal ammo, save points and such. This argument on the importance of marketing is just one of these deep seated disagreements, which I first brought up through PM. That and I think your behavior on forums and the like needs improvement. But I'll not go into that much more.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Sigh. I need a cigarette. I never asked for this. You're a borderline stalker. Passive aggressive, nonsensical, and apparently have the moral standing to act as behavioral police.
Last edited by Cybernetic pig on Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
DevAnj
UNATCO

Post by DevAnj »

Does that mean that I can't bring up disagreements with you, just because I debate stuff with you on other forums? Also I made a new thread to discuss the topic. It's in the Off Topic forum.
Cybernetic pig wrote:You're a borderline stalker. Passive aggressive, nonsensical, and apparently have the moral standing to act as behavioral police.
Yeah, whenever the debate gets heated, you pull out the "stalker" card. How typical. It's not like it's a convenient way to shut me down or anything.
Last edited by DevAnj on Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Considering I've asked you to stop multiple times, why would you continue? I enjoy a casual disagreement, but you're beyond casual. It's persistent, unending, senseless and passive-aggressive with you.

You like my work so that brings you to discussions that involve it, and that's fine, but what you're doing is causing me upset and you know it.

I don't want any conflict, dev_anj. I have enjoyed talking to you in the past, but this "disagree at all costs, on every subject" thing you've got going needs to stop. Maybe it's just a cultural thing idk, but there needs to be balance, because all you've been doing is...that, and it's draining.
Kelkos
UNATCO

Post by Kelkos »

Targeting youth
Prior to 1964, many of the cigarette companies advertised their brand by claiming that their product did not have serious health risks. A couple of examples would be "Play safe with Philip Morris" and "More doctors smoke Camels". Such claims were made both to increase the sales of their product and to combat the increasing public knowledge of smoking's negative health effects.[18]
Much cigarette advertising was intended to target youth. Major cigarette companies would advertise their brands in popular TV shows such as The Flintstones and The Beverly Hillbillies, which were watched by many children and teens.[19] In 1964, after facing much pressure from the public, The Cigarette Advertising Code was created by the Tobacco companies, which prohibited advertising directed to youth.[18]
The use of celebrities and famous athletes would also encourage smoking for youth. Popular comedian Bob Hope was used to advertise for cigarette companies.[18] The African-American magazine Ebony often used athletes to advertise major cigarette brands.
Sad World eh? :(
Being a soldier isn't just following orders, it's following those orders in the service of a higher cause. When that cause is betrayed, we're not soldiers anymore, just pieces on a chess board dying for the wrong reason.
Kelkos
UNATCO

Post by Kelkos »

I think the developers actually made a mistake, or as a joke , gave Jaime the Assault Rifle in Paris. His mesh doesn't correspond to the shooting animation, and that has some weird mid fall shooting animation. Is this a joke, or was Jaime's mesh planned to be something else? . Like in the beta version of deus ex, each character has IT'S OWN SPECIAL MESH, like paul has a half-sleeved trenchcoat, anna uses a special cybernetic arm prosthesis, and Gunther had a large trenchcoat mesh, So, Jaime's mesh must've had some form of special shooting animation? :-k
Being a soldier isn't just following orders, it's following those orders in the service of a higher cause. When that cause is betrayed, we're not soldiers anymore, just pieces on a chess board dying for the wrong reason.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Bird wrote:Backstory:
I am going through vanilla DeusEx.int (by double-checking every localised Hungarian string if they are OK to go to GMDX). After I am done with that, I will merge my DeusEx.hut with a current GMDX.int.
Can we make this official? There's already French and Russian language support in version 9. No sense in leaving out Hungarian too.
Bird
NSF

Post by Bird »

Sure thing. Since March 2016 I always wanted to add Hungarian language support to GMDX.

EDIT: Apart from \DeusEx\*.uc-s (I mean DeusEx.int) stuff which is translated are:
  • DeusExConText.u
  • DeusExText.u
  • DeusExUI.u (compass and DataVault images)
  • Map-specific .int files, like 02_nyc_street.int
  • All the other .int files in \System by default
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Great. Let me know when it's ready.
Bird
NSF

WORK WORK WORK

Post by Bird »

I have ~1500 lines left to proofread. Soon.
Done. CyberP, may I please have your most recent/current GMDX.int? After I translated all the new content, Hungarian Localisation should be OK to be implemented.

I wanted to proofread every datacubes/dialogues _again_, but meh. Maybe later (in some years). My priorities are to struggle with WiX again to learn it how to use it properly in order to create a decent installer.