Deus Ex 3: Is it official or what?

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

DX 3 will happen

DX 3 will not happen
54%
Don't know
46%

Total votes: 13
Morpheus
X-51

Deus Ex 3: Is it official or what?

Post by Morpheus »

Just head a long while ago that deus ex 3 would be released, but not by ION Storm as they broke up. Warren Spector said he would like to do another game like deus ex style.

Truthfully what was DX 3 meant to be anyway? What storyline?

I have an idea for my mod after its finished (Deus Ex Morpheus) I wanted to doa mod called "Morpheus 2: Tomorrows Conspiracy" where there is a UWO (United World Order) a sort of UN type government for all the world which was like Illuminati but work openly and try to make people feel safe and secure as possible and keep the world safe.

The storyline would basically be about the future after the consipracy is over. More laid back approach to RPGs, not a FPS like DX2.

This would be a better DX 3 idea.
James T
UNATCO

Post by James T »

As far as I've heard, DX3 has amounted to nowt but a rarely-spoken wish in the heart of Warren Spector.

After DXIW shat in the series' nest, I'm not even that interested in a DX3, actually. Of course, one would hope that they'd learn from the unbelievable mistakes they made with IW's engine and gameplay, but I didn't even like the story of IW, so... bler. I wish DX had stayed out there, hale and hearty in the marketplace, with new instalments making the best of, saaaay, the engine of that snazzy Crytek game they were showing off last year, but naw, 's too late.
"If all Americans want is security, they can go to prison." -- Dwight D. Eisenhower
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

I don't think that it will be released, however I very much hope it does.
ThalesA7X
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by ThalesA7X »

Every recent interview I have read with Warren Spector, he has said he does not want to do things over. He says he want to do new stuff. When he was asked if DX was an exception to that, he said no. He said he would rather leave it at that.

Sorry to let you all down.
Last edited by ThalesA7X on Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

What Warren wants has nothing to do with it, as he no longer works for the company that owns the license, Eidos. Last I heard, Eidos had handed it over to Crystal Dynamics (Project Snowblind, Tomb Raider: Legends). What they're actually going to do with it is complete speculation, but I think a prequel to the first game was mentioned at one point.

Obviously though, the only correct answer should be "Don't know." Unless you can see into the future, you have no idea what's gonna happen. Just look at the Indiana Jones franchise, did you think there'd be another damn Indie movie? :P
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Snowblind isn't actually that bad, as far as 'aug-based shooters' go.

Far too fast-paced to play DX style, and the physics for most decorations are HORRIBLE (emough physics code to be really, really hard to stack/climb over, but not enough to collapse convincingly, plus one or two fell through the world in protest at being stacked, and one of those actually pulled me along after it, which was..interesting).

But still: worth a shot if you're bored, since the 'reaction time' aug + shotgun combo is so awesome I pretty much used that to the exclusion of everything else.
Master_Kale
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by Master_Kale »

Project Snowblind was SUPPOSED to be DX3, called Deus Ex: Clan Wars. It was mentioned briefly by Eidos back in 2004, before E3 (http://www.gamespot.com/news/6092995.html), but when E3 came and went, it was previewed as Snowblind and confirmed that it would have no relation to DX (http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/06/16 ... 00820.html).
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Master_Kale wrote:Project Snowblind was SUPPOSED to be DX3, called Deus Ex: Clan Wars.[/url]).
You sure it wasn't meant to be DX2 MP? That's how I remember it.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Master_Kale
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by Master_Kale »

Jonas wrote:
Master_Kale wrote:Project Snowblind was SUPPOSED to be DX3, called Deus Ex: Clan Wars.[/url]).
You sure it wasn't meant to be DX2 MP? That's how I remember it.
You know what, now that you mention it, I vaguely remember reading that in a gaming magazine or online.
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

As far as I'm concerned, ZODIAC was DX 3. *shrug* The only way we have any hope of seeing a DX3 that doesn't make us want to simultaniously tear our eyes out and drop a nuke on Eidos HQ is a fan project.
Actually, now that I think about it, DX: MIB is a sequel to DX1. >_> Hey, at least there's that. Glass is half full and all that jazz.
fub
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by fub »

the only way that a plausible new deus ex could be released would be if it were a prequel-type thing. there are too many plot inconsistencies created by dx2.

/waits for chris to eat me alive
inACTIVE tnm graphical artist.
Jonas wrote:WHAT THE HELL KIND OF A NINJA-MOD IS THIS?!
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Or if they re-made DX2 so that it actually felt like Deus Ex for a change. - aka Started from scratch and made an entirely different game that follows Deus Ex 1 correctly this time.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Oh yeah hey, and world peace would be really cool, and like if George Bush realized he's being a dumbass, and Al Qaeda was like "woah, war is bad! Let's all make out." That'd be totally rad.

Also, CP, the real world is over here, why don't you come join us? ;)
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Laputan_Machine
Mole Person

Post by Laputan_Machine »

I wouldn't rule it out, anyone remember System Shock 2? Well the some of the core team from that and Deus Ex, has been working a newer game called Bioshock check it out, it looks awesome. The only problem is Eidos I think.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

James T wrote:After DXIW shat in the series' nest, I'm not even that interested in a DX3, actually. Of course, one would hope that they'd learn from the unbelievable mistakes they made with IW's engine and gameplay, but I didn't even like the story of IW, so... bler. I wish DX had stayed out there, hale and hearty in the marketplace, with new instalments making the best of, saaaay, the engine of that snazzy Crytek game they were showing off last year, but naw, 's too late.
Invisible War hardly screwed it up, it fixed a lot of flaws in the original game - although in steamlining it (which was mainly for the best) they took out good things like locational damage and whatnot.