Unreal Ed woes

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

fender2k1
NSF

Unreal Ed woes

Post by fender2k1 »

So, I'm doing some touch ups of maps. I've been out of the loop for quite a long time, but has anyone experienced a bug with unreal ed where you will be navigating the 3d view and all brushes (except for mover brushes) will disappear and UED will lock up?

Its happened for years now.. was there ever a resolution found? I've tried exporting and importing and i remember this not working either. Its quite a pain. This even happens for DX maps as well. :/

edit: it happens with ued2 as well. makes me think its the renderer?
Follow UNATCO Born on twitter for the latest updates:
http://twitter.com/unatcoborn

forums:
http://dxr.deus-ex.org/forums/

NO THANKS I ALREADY HAD A HAM SANDWICH IN THE CHOPPER
http://www.moddb.com/mods/nihilum
AgentSmithereens
Silhouette

Re: Unreal Ed woes

Post by AgentSmithereens »

I think this happens for everyone, and it's when there's too much detail for the editor to process or something. Your best bet is to use the wireframe mode. Or just navigate in Dynamic Lighting really slowly.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Yep, wireframe mode is the only known solution. Generally it won't lock up as long as the camera is inside the world geometry, so what you can do is make sure the level is behind the camera position when you open it, then switch to wireframe mode, fly the camera inside the subtracted part of the level, then switch back to render mode.

If the camera ever does lock up when you're out of the void, you're fucked, because then so will the game when the player gets there (has happened in TNM). Then it's time to start deleting things :(
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Trasher
UNATCO

Post by Trasher »

Happened to me twice - and I cried a lot(sweared like hell).
Dead-eye
X-51

Post by Dead-eye »

You mean like when you load area 51 final and you turn the camera to look at the level the engine crashes/freezes?

I found a solution... have a really fast computer... like mine. Twin 9600gts in SLI and 4 GB or ram.

My guess is that it has something to do with video ram or general ram getting too full. Unreal 1 most likely docent have the coding to allocate memory correctly when the ram is full. At any rate having a computer like mine has fixed the problem.

Not that it's much use to me seeing as I'm no longer a unreal mapper.
fender2k1
NSF

Post by fender2k1 »

Yeah its been happening on ~5 different machines throughout the years.

I wish there was an easy fix :(

I'm going through all the old UB maps to try and move sections of them to newer maps, and its just impossible at this point. Very frustrating.
Follow UNATCO Born on twitter for the latest updates:
http://twitter.com/unatcoborn

forums:
http://dxr.deus-ex.org/forums/

NO THANKS I ALREADY HAD A HAM SANDWICH IN THE CHOPPER
http://www.moddb.com/mods/nihilum
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Dead-eye wrote:I found a solution... have a really fast computer... like mine. Twin 9600gts in SLI and 4 GB or ram.
Heh, I have an ENGTX260 and 8 GB of RAM and it still happens to me. It's not your hardware, it's just that the Unreal Editor can't handle it.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

It's not too hard to navigate via X/Y/Z views though, and then get your camera where you want it to be, then shift to zone/portal view, then maybe textures, then eventually dynamic lighting. I find it fairly hard to make a map that ISN'T an insta-crash map of this type, so I've forgotten what it's like to actually pan around the map in textured or dynamic lighting mode.

Possibly also to do with me sucking horribly at mapping, though.
Dead-eye
X-51

Post by Dead-eye »

Jonas wrote:
Dead-eye wrote:I found a solution... have a really fast computer... like mine. Twin 9600gts in SLI and 4 GB or ram.
Heh, I have an ENGTX260 and 8 GB of RAM and it still happens to me. It's not your hardware, it's just that the Unreal Editor can't handle it.
I just reinstalled UED2. Man my computer is fast. I rebuilt the entire Area 51 Page map in less then a minute. There are no frame rate drops and I can easily edit the map without any problem!

Wonder why this still happens to you if you got such good hardware? Do you still get frame rate drops?
DDL

Post by DDL »

Bear in mind we're not talking an optimised engine running with whatever resources you have available: we're talking a shitty 1999 engine running with whatever it thinks is physically possible in 1999, pretty much. Kinda like expecting frogger to suddenly handle dynamic raytracing just coz it's running on a quadcore: at the end of the day, it's still fucking frogger.

So ued may be runnin' super smoooooth, but it'll still crash and burn if something excessive comes its way. Sadly this is..quite often.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Dead-eye wrote:
Jonas wrote:
I just reinstalled UED2. Man my computer is fast. I rebuilt the entire Area 51 Page map in less then a minute. There are no frame rate drops and I can easily edit the map without any problem!
My 1 year old computer just rebuilt it in Ued1 in under a minute, it's not that fast :P
Dead-eye
X-51

Post by Dead-eye »

DaveW wrote: My 1 year old computer just rebuilt it in Ued1 in under a minute, it's not that fast :P
Well that would put you and me in the same boat. Still you got to keep in mind back in the day when I was making levels for Deus Ex I was doing it on my old PC. My old PC only had an AMD 2.4ghz processor and rebuilding the same level would an take 10 minutes. Not to mention the level was too big for me to edit because the screen would lock up every time I tried to view it in UED.

My computer isn't the bomb but it's a lot better then my old PC.