DX GOTY problem... feel like a noob

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: DX GOTY problem... feel like a noob

Post by Jonas »

Windows 7 is awesome.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

DirectX 10. \o/
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Jonas wrote:Windows 7 is awesome.
Does it play Windows 95 (and older) games without a problem?
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

No idea, Google it.

It does have some built-in emulators, including a highly effective Windows XP compatibility mode. Apart from that, it runs DOSBox fine, so you should be covered.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Thanks Jonas, it's not that far from officially being released. I might have a wander through Microsoft later.

Edit: jaedar and others may be interested.
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2 ... 538,00.asp
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

When I said we might need emulator image drives for DX, I was thinking of the proliferation of issues that are occurring as DX ages. The multi-core one is a big issue, and though it's been worked around, it ranges from annoying to impossible for various people. We'll see more issues.

Windows takes an odd tack with its system version compatibility mode. I honestly have no idea how it works. I doubt it uses different dll versions, and programs seem to detect the system version anyway (and refuse to install), so maybe they're actually using VirtualPC-type emulation. I don't like it. It's nice to have, but it's hacky. I like clean and clearly-defined breaks, as few as possible but not to hold back progress.

I haven't been on Windows for months now. I should probably stop talking about Windows as a user. WINE 1.1.30 out now with OpenAL support and more DirectX10 work; it has spotty compatibility too, but at least broken things are gradually fixed. It looks like System Shock II won't run on Vista, Win7, or anything afterward again, but it's working in WINE with compatibility kept up to date. Deus Ex has the highest possible compatibility rating in WINE. Apparently PlayOnLinux even has a script that autoinstalls Deus Ex, HDTP, patches it, and adds the new renderers automatically. This doesn't fix issues like the multi-core one, but it makes new Windows versions less scary.
nekdo
Thug

Post by nekdo »

I have mutli core and win7 prof, and Deus ex runs fine... I have just finished TNM the other day.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Thanks jaf and nekdo. The only thing I managed to find at Microsoft was their talk of Windows live , Games for Windows, and how important gamers are to them. No surprises there. I couldn't find any mention of older games and compatibility with W 7 there but maybe I was looking in the wrong places.
InGroove2
Thug

Post by InGroove2 »

bobby 55 wrote:Thanks Jonas, it's not that far from officially being released. I might have a wander through Microsoft later.
thanks for hijacking my thread, bro. anybody know anything bout the nv4 bug?
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

InGroove2 wrote:
bobby 55 wrote:Thanks Jonas, it's not that far from officially being released. I might have a wander through Microsoft later.
Sorry fella just replying to a question asked. I won't appear on this fucking thread again. No consolation though.
Edit: At the risk of making a liar of myself. Sincerest appologies to InGroove2, politely this time.
Last edited by bobby 55 on Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

InGroove2 wrote:thanks for hijacking my thread, bro. anybody know anything bout the nv4 bug?
Hey, be nice. If a thread goes off-topic and you don't feel the original topic was properly resolved, just bring it back on topic, don't be an ass about it.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
InGroove2
Thug

Post by InGroove2 »

bobby 55 wrote:
InGroove2 wrote:
Sorry fella just replying to a question asked. I won't appear on this fucking thread again. No consolation though.

well....... fella,

it read to me like you posed your little windows 7 question all by yourself, which led to the distraction of the only people on the internet who might have had any chance of helping me figure out this damn thing.

easy on the aggressive use of "fucking" for you may have read too much into it... i just wanted to inquire if anyone knew about that bug. obviously my only concern here is playing the game smooth enough to feel ok about installing and playing TNM. i'm not concerned with what you do or dont talk about.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

InGroove2 wrote:well....... fella,
Right, bro, as you wish then, let's drop the tangent and get back on topic.

Sadly I can't help you, except to suggest you reinstall Windows, and that's always a bit of a last-resort solution. It does tend to help, though.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Relax everyone. Bobby55 tried to help a couple times until no solution was apparent. New bugs occurring in Deus Ex is highly relevant as it ages, especially with Microsoft's impending bug creator release. If anyone derailed the thread, I did by mentioning that, because Deus Ex 2 was a horrible abomination.

Anyway. Windows has an Event Viewer, and it usually isn't very helpful, but you can check for entries happening when the sound locks up. Reinstall windows and update drivers. Consider disabling that second audio card, since PCs simply weren't designed to have more than one soundcard (especially when your Creative Soundblaster is the second one); I'm specifically remembering Creative cards demanding certain IRQs, and the hilarious "creative drivers". Try the onboard sound, and if that works, try disabling the onboard sound in BIOS and one of the other cards. No one here seems to have had this issue with Deus Ex yet, so we don't have any answers aside from basic troubleshooting.

Threads on the OTP forums tend to derail. It's part of the fun. People here are extremely helpful, so if a solution is available, it'll be posted. People here do use the search tool to revive non-current threads, and we're all on the Deus Ex Compatibility sinking ship too, so it's OK if a thread goes off-topic for a while; it'll even keep the thread current. Also, since there's new users here, I'll mention that the "Deus Ex 2 Suxx0rz" thing is at trope, a constant flamewar thread-derailment joke, so just ignore that or revive a thread where it's discussed.
nekdo
Thug

Post by nekdo »

I have to agree with justanotherfan. Sound Blaster can be a bitch when you have two sound cards in your PC (like me). I had problems with both IW and Deus Ex, thanks to that. However since you can just turn off any soundcard in the bios, and test it whether Dues Ex runs fine or not, the problem this time has to be something else.