DX3 reviews?

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

AEmer
Illuminati

Re: DX3 reviews?

Post by AEmer »

Re: Gamer, DDL, Jonas brawl

Wow. Why would you troll eachother like that.
I get that it escalated over time, but jesus. Can't we all just get along and actually focus on the content of the discussion? :P

Ahem, anyway. I do think HR is less interesting to discuss, and I do think it relates to the random crap, but not whether or not it's there, but rather, how it's shaped and what its purpose is. Also, I'd like to add that I got incredibly into the plot threads of HR, probably more so than I ever got into Deus Ex on my own...I just appear to be the only one around here that into it.

Take Jocks apartment in Hong Kong. The game has a lot of apartments, but it introduces an important subplot through one which you have a good chance of just randomly discovering and figuring out. In HR, there are plenty of random apartments, and they all fit the "random crap" bill put on Deus Ex, but they don't really tell us anything about a character we already know and who's important to our own role in the story, while at the same time being ambiguous and containing a mystery.

Jocks apartment reveals that:

Paul was suspicious of maggie chow, even though they were supposedly lovers
Jock and Pauls relationship is close enough that he has no problem hirering him to spy on his girlfriend
Jock is a bit of a peeping tom
Maggie Chow is probably not someone you should trust.

By contrast, whenever there's a side-narrative going on in HR, it's rarely about a character we know about. The best example is Prichard, some of whose character details are revealed through the office hacking subplot. But thats just one character, and the details of the plot are all hiding within text, not waiting to be discovered by a sharp eye looking out a window, and the implications are less layered, so they require less lateral thinking. Furthermore, this is the exception rather than the rule in HR, whereas in Deus Ex, theres a lot more _relevant_ random crap.

I mean, it's great to sink my teeth into the details surrounding the lower production quality for the chinese typhoon nockoff (very much random crap), but it's just not as relevant...it's not even as relevant as encountering the parents of an MJ12 guardsman in Paris.

The fact that the random crap in HR simply poses less questions, I think, makes the game weaker, but also much less interesting to discuss. There's much less ambiguity introduced by much of the random crap...it's generally easy to digest, and less complex.
Ultimately, that's a matter of the map designers being less ambitious, and exploiting the medium to a smaller degree.

But I think it's unfair to say that HR is no Deus Ex game because of this distinction. Clearly, the designers tried to reverse engineer this part, but either didn't understand the depth of Deus Ex' random crap, or simply thought it a smaller priority compared to all the brilliant aspects and ideas they possesed themselves. The way the world of HR is revealed through the narrative threads is crystal clear by comparison to Deus Ex, and it's generally much more detailed and congruous. It doesn't have the same depth, because Deus Ex is full of implications riding on implications, and the massive continuity bible is a telltale sign of that...but within the game, the focus on biological enhancers, how these are perceived by society, how the enhancements are made, developed, designed and monetized the ethical implications, the publics and special interests relation to it, and so forth...it's just really thickly detailed, every angle is covered, and it all makes sense. By contrast, the grey death, in spite of being a massively important thing in Deus Ex, has very weak development.

In this case, yes, HR is different because it's bredth is narrower, and it wants to really develop and get at you from every angle concerning its most important subject, whereas deus ex is a hodge-pudge of issues that are less developed but tie together to form a larger, grander and more perillous picture. Both of those, however, are merely twists on the Deus Ex recipe: the two games are more similar to eachother than any other game, and both are quite distinct from everything else outthere.

Both are apple pies, one is just made exclusively from golden delicious while the other is larger and made from a larger variety of apples.
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

I'm not sure effectively rezzing a week-old thread to say "whoa calm down you guys" is entirely necessary, but hey.. :P

Out of curiosity, is it ever stated (by anyone other than Maggie) that Paul and Maggie were even in any sort of relationship at all? The impression I always got was that he knew she was dodgy as fuck and thus had Jock watching her (while he was off fucking up his assassination mission). When you turn up she simply sees "pretending to have been in a relationship with Paul" as a way to gain your trust, because she's A) a trained actress, and B) opportunistic and devious.

Or did I miss something?
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Wot DDL said about Maggie and Paul. Like the guy in Tonachi Road said:"She's a snake, believe nothing she says." :P
Last edited by bobby 55 on Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

AEmer wrote:Why would you troll eachother like that.
That wasn't trolling. It was just an argument. Not every argument that happens on the Internet is trolling.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

DDL wrote:I'm not sure effectively rezzing a week-old thread to say "whoa calm down you guys" is entirely necessary, but hey.. :P
Probably not necessary; I just happened to find the exchange disturbing. I'm not trying to be a backseat moderator, or trying to calm the waters or somesuch just...reflecting on what I thought I saw. It also wasn't the purpose of my reply either, more of a startled aside.
Out of curiosity, is it ever stated (by anyone other than Maggie) that Paul and Maggie were even in any sort of relationship at all? The impression I always got was that he knew she was dodgy as fuck and thus had Jock watching her (while he was off fucking up his assassination mission). When you turn up she simply sees "pretending to have been in a relationship with Paul" as a way to gain your trust, because she's A) a trained actress, and B) opportunistic and devious.

Or did I miss something?
They were certainly in some sort of relationship...hence why Jock is spying on her. I mean, I doubt Paul would set up someone to spy on her if he wasn't somehow involved with her.

But I honestly don't know what the extent was. I think it's purposefully left ambiguous, though I may simply have missed something.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

AEmer wrote:They were certainly in some sort of relationship...hence why Jock is spying on her. I mean, I doubt Paul would set up someone to spy on her if he wasn't somehow involved with her.

But I honestly don't know what the extent was. I think it's purposefully left ambiguous, though I may simply have missed something.
Depends how you define relationship. I don't believe anything romantic and/or sexual took place between Paul and Maggie, but he probably either knew or suspected that she was involved with MJ12. That's a much better reason to have her watched than sleeping with her is.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

Jonas wrote:Depends how you define relationship. I don't believe anything romantic and/or sexual took place between Paul and Maggie, but he probably either knew or suspected that she was involved with MJ12. That's a much better reason to have her watched than sleeping with her is.
And I'm saying, suspecting she's involved with MJ12 doesn't seem like enough of a reason to take active measures. If you suspect that she's involved with MJ12 _and_ you're in a romantic relationship, that's a much better reason than just suspecting she's in MJ12.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

AEmer wrote:And I'm saying, suspecting she's involved with MJ12 doesn't seem like enough of a reason to take active measures. If you suspect that she's involved with MJ12 _and_ you're in a romantic relationship, that's a much better reason than just suspecting she's in MJ12.
"Active measures" would be having her killed. All he's done is put her under surveillance, which seems like exactly what you'd do if you suspected a high-profile public figure of being involved with MJ12, in order to get proof that she actually is. Also, if you suspect she's involved with MJ12, that's a pretty good reason not to be in a romantic relationship.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

No, active measures would be doing anything that will transparently lead back to you if discovered.
Putting someone under survailance is an active measure.

And why would paul want to kill her if she was working for MJ12? That wouldn't really accomplish anything.

I think he has a reason for wanting to know, and that reason is that he's somehow involved with her. Surely in that situation it makes increasingly more sense, the closer his involvement is.

You might like to know if a random person completely unrelated to you is involved with MJ12, sure, but you would much rather like to know if someone close to you is.

There's enough there that you can reasonably speculate that they may have been in some kind of relationship.
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

And now we're discussing DX again... After 11 years.
DDL

Post by DDL »

She's a multimillionaire famous actress, and she's in with MJ12: it's both weird and fascinating enough to be worth checking out, plus it's a potential "in", since at the stage she was under surveillance, it's not like Paul knew everything about MJ12: he was still compiling a dossier when his killswitch was activated, and that happens a long time afer his botched assassination.

It's kinda like discovering Drew Barrymore is a member of the illuminati. You don't need to also be currently humping her to find the fact that Drew fucking Barrymore is a member of the illuminati worth investigating.

I mean, you're right in that if you WERE humping her it'd be even MORE worthy of investigation, but I'd say it was entirely meriting investigation already.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Hehehe! There's the good ol' Deus Ex multiple path thing that kinda muddies the water too. If you see Max Chen before talking to Gordon Quick and Maggie, you get a different dialogue with Maggie, and it's one where you could get the perception of an affair. It's hard for me to believe though, as she's getting holographic messages from Walton Symons, and the conversation with Page at Versalife. Both those guys want Paul dead. It's an interesting discussion going on here. :)
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

@ Gamer:
Yes...even if I was wrong about my assesment, this discussion is still proof of the inherent ambiguity.
That doesn't mean HR is any less of a Deus Ex game.
---
Whatever thing was between her and paul was obviously ended at the point where Paul decided to take direct action against MJ12.

Also, what if she was legitimately putting the movies on paul, he would have to get her suspicion from somewhere. Yes, it's interesting if drew berrymore works for MJ12, sure. How did you come to suspect that?

It could be because Paul stumbled accross something somewhere because someone was careless, or it could be because she attempted to seduce him and he grew suspicious. One has at least some basis in the fiction, the other has none.

If he did grow suspicious, Maggie would indeed be an in, so confirming it would allow him to get a better picture of MJ12's modus operandi.

I'm not saying this is the only interpretation, I'm just saying it fits, and that its the impression I got.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

DDL makes my argument better than I could, and I'm not sure the facts are given in the game to outright prove any of our assumptions anyway, so I'll pursue a small tangent instead. I almost want to punch myself for getting into semantics fucking again, which is apparently what I do when I hit a point in a debate where I'm not sure how to proceed along more productive routes, BUT:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_measures

I assume we're talking about espionage, since Paul is a spy and Maggie is a spy and what we're talking about is Paul spying on Maggie. So in tradecraft terms, as Wikipedia demonstrates, active measures is anything a spy organisation does in addition to collecting and analysing intelligence. Can we agree that surveillance is a way of collecting intelligence? I think I'm on pretty solid ground here when I don't count surveillance as active measures.

Were you aware that it's an established term?
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

Forgive me but, uh, isn't that a term relating specifically to a certain type of programs run by the soviet union? You know, like glassnost and perestroika? If it's general intelligence parlance, can you show me someone else taking active measures than the soviet union, where it means the same thing it means here? I'm pretty sure I've heard the term before, but I've certainly not added it to my active vocabulary, and definitely not with that exact meaning...so the rest of this is academic, and you can replace it with a suitable synonymous sentence like "paul has initiated an operation that's so overt that it could be traced back to him" rather than "paul has taken active measrues". But if you want to get technical...:

In general parlance, Active Measures is a term composed of two other terms:

http://www.answers.com/topic/measure
Number 14 of measures.

http://www.answers.com/topic/active
Number 5 a of active.

so that gives:

"An action taken as a means to an end; an expedient" "Marked by or involving direct participation"
It's in opposition to such terms as desperate measures and passive meassures.

I mean, language doesn't spring from the well of a dictionary, but this also fits really well with my understanding of how its used in everyday parlance. If you hire a private investigator to spy on your girlfriend, and rent him an apartment accross her street to do so from, I'm going to go ahead and call that an active measure on your part, because you've sprung into action and you're now actively trying to determine if something is up, rather than merely settling for finding out down the road, without initiating anything.

If we're talking about an entire espionage bureau, sure, the dichotomy between active and passive operations is probably quite different, and active and passive mean different things in that context - but I don't think that's the same context we have here at all.