GMDXv9.0 Release

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Bogie
UNATCO

Re: GMDXv9.0 Announced

Post by Bogie »

I wouldn't say this is a particularly bad idea, but for GMDX it sorta would be. It sounds a little OP, but if it did get into GMDX, it should be nerfed down alot.

Oh, and for straight up time stop it would be obligatory to carry a crap load of throwing knives, and to have this guy hovering behind your back the whole time.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Sigh. Too many people ask for a slow time aug. I don't know if they've noticed, but the design of Deus Ex's augmentations is heavily based in realism, much more so than some other systems (skills). Not to mention such powers are almost always extremely overpowered.

And no skull guns either.
MadeInChina wrote:Now, GMDX is an immersive sim mod.
This.
Last edited by Cybernetic pig on Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bogie
UNATCO

Post by Bogie »

For now, we should just focus on ironing out bugs and little quirks.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Suggestions are good. Even if they're not suitable they cause me to think about a particular aspect of design, which can lead to new trains of thought, such as (again) the spiderbot behavior born from the shield suggestion. Even if I seem agitated by some suggestions some good things can come of them.

Try to suggest things inline with the Immersive Sim design philosophy, if you know and understand what that is. It's one of many things that sets this mod apart from other large scale Deus Ex mods and influences every design decision I make.

----

I've been working on polishing conversations the past few days. Not much too exciting, but as usual very relevant:

Fixed stuff:

Stephanie Maxwell
Infinite loop with mechanic in MJ12 lab
items duplicated and dropped at NPC's feet when buying/receiving items with inventory full
The amount of ammo Kaplan and Carter give you is more sensible.
fixed a rare game breaking bug wherein the dragon heads would not talk to you at the temple

Added a month or two back, but:

The amount of items/ammo you receive when purchasing in convos is displayed

Considering doing:

-First person conversations (optional). This is very unlikely as the cinematic convos just work. It may not be ideal as far as the Immersive Sim design philosophy is concerned, but neither is being forced to stare at low poly low res models looping through their primitive animation set from one close up perspective. The cinematic camera distracts from that issue.
-Better method for determining third person camera angles, so the camera is not moved inside/behind a wall.
-Removing or toning down the conversation light. Deus Ex spawns a light between yourself and the NPC, which can cause the lighting of nearby meshes to pulsate (engine/rendering bug). Even causes the NPCs to pulsate sometimes.

Other than that, if it ain't broke don't fix it applies I suppose. There's no genuine advancements I can add to the system itself beyond fixing the angles and adding the amount of ammo you're given being displayed. At least nothing comes to mind. Suggestions?
FastGamerr
MJ12

Post by FastGamerr »

Cybernetic pig wrote:--being forced to stare at low poly low res models looping through their primitive animation set from one close up perspective.
I wish someone replaced those talking animations with juggling.
Kelkos
UNATCO

Post by Kelkos »

I found a bug in GMDX, CyberP. GMDX crashes when i collide with that vibrating cuboid found in that NSF bolt hole in Battery Park. It caught my eye. I think it had no lightning on it and was completely black, also it continuously vibrates, when I managed to collide within it, GMDX crashes
Being a soldier isn't just following orders, it's following those orders in the service of a higher cause. When that cause is betrayed, we're not soldiers anymore, just pieces on a chess board dying for the wrong reason.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Yes, fixed in v9.0.
Kelkos
UNATCO

Post by Kelkos »

How about these ideas ?

1. NPC's will be able to launch 20mm HE grenades form the underslung assault rifle barrels

2. Showing the number of credits you have while you are having a conversation.

3. Different colour lasers. Red and blue release bots, orange instantly dismember the player and green expel poisonous gas from containers.
Being a soldier isn't just following orders, it's following those orders in the service of a higher cause. When that cause is betrayed, we're not soldiers anymore, just pieces on a chess board dying for the wrong reason.
Made in China
MJ12

Post by Made in China »

20mm HE NPCs is probably a bad idea, seeing as how powerful that ammo is. It takes one NPC with that ammo to nullify the combat approach completely.

Showing the current credit count during a convo where you can use them is probably a good idea, but it's very reliant on the implementation.

I'm against colored lasers. Lasers are sensors - and in Deus Ex they either trigger an alarm (red) or trigger another device (blue), but they do not inherently hurt you.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Kelkos wrote: 2. Showing the number of credits you have while you are having a conversation.
I already thought about that, but considered that JC's dialogue ("I don't have enough credits right now" etc) handles it well enough. Sure it's not precise but you can either buy an item or you can't, and then you can simply press the Tab key to check afterwards. While it would be convenient to have the exact number displayed I don't really care to work on it when it is good enough vanilla.
MadeInChina wrote:I'm against colored lasers. Lasers are sensors - and in Deus Ex they either trigger an alarm (red) or trigger another device (blue), but they do not inherently hurt you.
Realistically they can though.

IW had the gold lasers too. And the gas-releasing ones.

I like the idea, but preferably for a fan mission or something.
Last edited by Cybernetic pig on Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Made in China
MJ12

Post by Made in China »

The fact that some lasers can produce enough energy to melt down steel doesn't mean it's practical for security purposes.
Not only it's energy inefficient, a continuous wave would burn down the diode within seconds. And if it's a chemical laser it'd cost even more (for further reading, search for the Nautilus/THEL system) and would need huge vats of chemicals, not to mention a reaction chamber.
There's a reason why it's used only to take down aircrafts nowadays - it's literally the only way this thing saves money for its operation rather than waste it.

About gas-releasing lasers, it's just a laser that activates a gas grenade or barrel - which I don't really agree with due to having way larger collateral damage compared to bots, and it would necessitate boxing in the player as it is activated for any effect anyhow. It's something a Bond villain would do, no one in their right minds would use poisonous gas for intruder control (the only case in Deus Ex which something similar happened was in the Helipad in Hong Kong, and you used it against the MJ12 because you didn't care about collateral damage).
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Yes, but realism shouldn't always take precedence over gameplay. It's tricky determining where and when, but generally it should be believable to some extent, yet some aspects can be swept under the rug because it's a game.
Lasers releasing poisonous gas is stupid? Add an in-game document detailing it is makeshift security due to a lack of security budget and they had plenty barrels of gas to spare (no that's still dumb, but it was a low effort example). Make it believable! Or just do an invisible war and hope nobody cares. It's believable enough to suspend disbelief without entering pure fantasy territory as with slow time augs.

Anyway, I'm not going to add it, but I'd like to see it in a fan mission.
Kelkos
UNATCO

Post by Kelkos »

The fact that some lasers can produce enough energy to melt down steel doesn't mean it's practical for security purposes.
Not only it's energy inefficient, a continuous wave would burn down the diode within seconds. And if it's a chemical laser it'd cost even more (for further reading, search for the Nautilus/THEL system) and would need huge vats of chemicals, not to mention a reaction chamber.
There's a reason why it's used only to take down aircrafts nowadays - it's literally the only way this thing saves money for its operation rather than waste it.
It's 2052 what can you expect ?
Kelkos
UNATCO

Post by Kelkos »

I have more ideas too. :smile:
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Kelkos wrote: It's 2052 what can you expect ?
Security systems that are logical and superior to current systems, of course. But Deus Ex doesn't have that, not always. It has swinging cameras in hallways that periodically leave a time frame for a would-be criminal to sneak past entirely undetected. But of course you only question it if you think deeply on the matter, and it's fun. But that doesn't mean you can implement any ideas that sound remotely fun. They should be believable enough or only not hold to scrutiny after deeper analysis.

I think instead of lethal lasers there should be one that releases a non-lethal electrical current. Bit more sensible, at least, and to the player from a gameplay POV the distinction doesn't have to matter. Lethal or non-lethal, they both result in game over if activated unless you have a hazmat/energy shield/whatever.