How do we feel about Deus Ex 3?

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

gamer0004
Illuminati

Re: How do we feel about Deus Ex 3?

Post by gamer0004 »

Jonas wrote:My suspicion that EM may be missing the point of emergent gameplay (which was one of the central points of Deus Ex's design, and indeed the central point of the Looking Glass school of game design in my opinion) comes from my interpretation of their opinion that Deus Ex had no memorable moments. The point of emergent gameplay is to refrain from explicitly designing moments like that and instead spending your resources on designing a game system complex enough to give rise to those moments dynamically.

As DDL says, it's one thing to design your levels with different routes and methods of getting where you need to be and solving your objectives - it's another to give the player a sufficiently complicated and interactive set of mechanics (equipment, skills and abilities, physics systems, AI behaviour, environmental details) that the player can combine these things to essentially create completely new solutions that the designers never expected.

That is what Deus Ex did.
This is exactly what I have been fearing for a long time, although I had forgotten the term and I did not even know exactly what I feared. It wasn't linearity, because there would be multiple paths and solutions... but there was something. Not being in control. Only being able to do what the devs want you to do (but then I thought: isn't that what DX did too? You showed me it wasn't).
(I guess the augs prove it: "claymore"; killing all surrounding enemies, means that if you take the "violence" path, you have to use that because otherwise you won't be able to survive (because you'll be surrounded or something).)

Thank you.
Xesum
Illuminati

Post by Xesum »

Didn't someone on the Deus Ex forum's suggest they stop announcing things and not release anything else?
Paul, I know you said no phone messages, but South Street's going up in smoke. We'll have to meet at the subway station.
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

It could work, of course, if they constantly reinforce the whole MECHS AM 4 COMBATZ LOL aspect, with massive increases in social stigma if you actively choose to turn yourself into a gihungous death dispenser, but with correspondingly shit-easy combat, versus choosing to utilise some of the more subtle mechanical enhancements, making combat trickier but allowing you to continue to walk around without being pointed at and possibly refused service at burger jerk or whatever.

You know, all existential like.

But probably it'll be all bullet tiem, QTEs and bloodspurt lolz. :/
~Psychotic~
Silhouette

Post by ~Psychotic~ »

Dead-eye wrote:I really never understood why girls like beards so much, guys only have them because we're to lazy to shave.
Finally someone who fucking understands!

My thoughts on Deus Ex 3 are simple and are like every game announced: I'll wait and see, if I like it I like it, if not I don't. I would love for it to succeed and not rape the original Deus Ex like IW did somewhat, but we won't know that until it's released. My only hope is they don't over-hype the game like other games I'm looking forward to have been.

The regenerative health thing annoys me but I'll get over it. I've played games with it and without it and liked both at different times of the game. Without it it adds more challenge, with it I end up not screaming at my monitor because I keep dying. I would like to see it work on a scale of difficulty personally. For example, there should be Easy, Normal and Hard difficulties (make a Realistic one too, just as a homage to the original lol). Easy and Normal would have this regenerating health thing, but Normal's would be slower than Easy. Hard wouldn't have it at all and you'd have to LOOK for health-packs of use some sort of Regen Aug like in the original.

I also heard on the forum they were making a development blog for it at some point, but I never heard this confirmed, announced or have any dates to go with it. I haven't been to the official forum since the start of the year so I don't know what the hell is going on there now.
When I was younger I knew a motherfucker like you!
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

DDL wrote:But probably it'll be all bullet tiem, QTEs and bloodspurt lolz. :/
Pffft, as long as they throw in some hilariously over-enthusiastic physics system, you'll be entertained for months.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

DDL wrote:It could work, of course, if they constantly reinforce the whole MECHS AM 4 COMBATZ LOL aspect, with massive increases in social stigma if you actively choose to turn yourself into a gihungous death dispenser, but with correspondingly shit-easy combat, versus choosing to utilise some of the more subtle mechanical enhancements, making combat trickier but allowing you to continue to walk around without being pointed at and possibly refused service at burger jerk or whatever.
I think this would make the game really interesting. Like being denied certain sidequests, and passwords because you are hated by everyone. Like, not being able to access shops or the subway system if you look too monstrous (forcing you to kill innocents to get to where you need to be)
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

~Psychotic~ wrote: The regenerative health thing annoys me but I'll get over it. I've played games with it and without it and liked both at different times of the game. Without it it adds more challenge, with it I end up not screaming at my monitor because I keep dying. I would like to see it work on a scale of difficulty personally. For example, there should be Easy, Normal and Hard difficulties (make a Realistic one too, just as a homage to the original lol). Easy and Normal would have this regenerating health thing, but Normal's would be slower than Easy. Hard wouldn't have it at all and you'd have to LOOK for health-packs of use some sort of Regen Aug like in the original.
According to the old interviews, there won't be any medkits at all.
~Psychotic~ wrote: I also heard on the forum they were making a development blog for it at some point, but I never heard this confirmed, announced or have any dates to go with it. I haven't been to the official forum since the start of the year so I don't know what the hell is going on there now.
I believe that they announced even before the October update that a devblog would be arriving "soon". René has repeated that almost every month, but we still don't have it.

I don't really care though, because all they'll say is "omg lookz at dis awes0me featuur".
nekdo
Thug

Post by nekdo »

Xesum wrote:Deus Ex 3 will be released, then we shall cheer and eat plentyfulness of cake.

Then we shall moan about how shitty it is because it has been dumbed down too much for the consoles.
I just imagined using a multitool with a wii remote :) . But seriously I'm afraid it will be like Mass Effect, where you could just snipe everyone thanks to the easy targeting (mouse).

Anyway I like the concept art and the graphics... who knows it may be another sucess (after DX1)
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

nekdo wrote:Anyway I like the concept art and the graphics... who knows it may be another sucess (after DX1)
I hope so. I always expected them to make a good game, but every time I read up on it, I find some new horrific thing they've chosen to do. Maybe the new game will be a huge success, just with different types of videogame-players.
Xesum
Illuminati

Post by Xesum »

I've never played Mass Effect, so I can't say anything about what it's like.
Paul, I know you said no phone messages, but South Street's going up in smoke. We'll have to meet at the subway station.
nekdo
Thug

Post by nekdo »

By the way doesn't this guy:
ImageImage
Looks a bit like Trestkon?

Sunglasses, check!
Beard, check!
Badass, check!
Yellow+grey clothing, check!

Oh, but their hairstyle is different... darn

The new guy might actually have a tatoo! Can't confirm it from this angle though....
Morpheus
X-51

Post by Morpheus »

So, I am optimistic, I kinda like this idea..I don't know how the Tomb Raider engine will do, but I'm not basing my judgement based on that its not the Unreal Engine, my personal favourite.

But is this how people like Jordan Shea (Bar woman in NYC Bar in DX1), Anna Navarre and Gunthur Hermann became augmented? is the main character based of one of these mechs?, they were more machine like than JC or Paul was as they were more advanced than the older models and made later on with better technology.

Well given its set in the Deus Ex Universe, we should not base this on DX1 or DX2 but base it on what its like to play, unlike DX:IW which did have something to live up to as only being set 20 years after DX1 story and so being directly liked to DX1 this way. DX3 won't be really linked to either as far as I know, only the origina concepts of augmentations, I think.
My nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
My whistle/flute videos (and some other videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/DXMorpheus
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

The problem is that they seem to be completely ignoring how Jordan, Gunther and Anna were augmented.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

chris the cynic wrote:The problem is that they seem to be completely ignoring how Jordan, Gunther and Anna were augmented.
Do they actually explain that in the game?
Man I need to read more datacubes and newspapers :)
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

Well given its set in the Deus Ex Universe, we should not base this on DX1 or DX2 but base it on what its like to play, unlike DX:IW which did have something to live up to as only being set 20 years after DX1 story and so being directly liked to DX1 this way. DX3 won't be really linked to either as far as I know, only the origina concepts of augmentations, I think.
This is so very wrong. Because DX3 is set before Deus Ex it is actually more linked to Deus Ex than IW was.

IW could go off on any tangent it damn well pleased and that was fine because nothing in the story came after it. It could introduce any technology, organization, or concept it wanted, no problem. It could do anything to anyone or anywhere. No problem. DX3, on the other hand, has Deus Ex come after it. That means none of that holds for it. Technologies, organizations, concepts, events, people and places can only be introduced in a non-WhatTheFuckIsWrongWithYou? way if they are consistent with Deus Ex.
Jaedar wrote: Do they actually explain that in the game?
Man I need to read more datacubes and newspapers :)
Deus Ex says a bit about how mechanical augmentation works. Not too much though. It says more about the limits of it. The biggest thing it touches on (and by "touches on" I mean "beats until the horse is long since dead") is that mech augs can't pass for ordinary humans.

For example, the MiBs and WiBs exist only because you can't just put clothing and sunglasses on a mech aug and have them blend in. Every time you see one of the nice little explody people in black that is the game reminding you, again, that you can't cover up mechanical augmentations with clothes.

So if you see, for example, a mechanically augmented arm you can fit a sleeve over, that is a mech aug that couldn't have come before or during Deus Ex. (With the exception that it could have come during Deus Ex if it were experimental.)