How do we feel about Deus Ex 3?

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

gamer0004
Illuminati

Re: How do we feel about Deus Ex 3?

Post by gamer0004 »

Jaedar wrote:
gamer0004 wrote:Like the burning lasers in IW (seriously, WTF?).
What's wrong with them? Wanting a visible deterrent that isn't(directly) lethal makes sense. Regular lasers+turret(like in DX) is actually much more lethal, and turrets are vulnerable to being turned against you by a hacker.
Let me think... Flames in public domain, where children might be playing or at least running around? And what to think about power supply, or, if they were flames, gas supply? It would require an awful lot of power or gas, it's dangerous.

Instead they should've used a wonderful new invention called: doors. Non-lethal, practical and cheap.
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

I think that something that should be said is that, if we ignore the absurdity of the DX3 augs and focus on their sleek appearance when they're collapsed down into "normal body part" mode, the appearance of DX3 augs may very well be more realistic than Deus Ex's mechanical augs. Real world prosthetics are advancing very fast, and they may well overtake Deus Ex's clunky impossible-to-pass-off-as-normal mech augs in the near future.

So you can sort of see where the DX3 augs comes from. In a world where giant leaps in prosthetic technology have been combined with complete inanity you may well have transformers robots in disguise augmentations* with built in Vash the Stampede arm guns.

The problem is that that world and the world of Deus Ex can't coexist. There are an infinite number of 2020s that could have led to the world of Deus Ex, but the DX3 one isn't one of them. (Barring divine intervention. It would take a deus ex machina to maintain continuity.)
gamer0004 wrote:Also, I'd like to quote myself from over at the PDX forums:
Wish there'd been more activity in that thread.

-

*These augmentations might make some nifty toys.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

chris the cynic wrote:Barring divine intervention. It would take a deus ex machina to maintain continuity.
Or some sort of collapse that become such a big cultural taboo, it was erased forever from all datavaults and speaking about it leads to death.

Yeah, a divine intervention seems far more likely.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Jaedar wrote:
chris the cynic wrote:Barring divine intervention. It would take a deus ex machina to maintain continuity.
Or some sort of collapse that become such a big cultural taboo, it was erased forever from all datavaults and speaking about it leads to death.

Yeah, a divine intervention seems far more likely.
Perhaps it's a catch-22 situation from a marketing perspective. Say it's a prequel to get the DX fans in but risk alienating them at the same time by not making it Deus EX worthy. This sounds horribly familiar, yet I still will give it a try before making any final judgement.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Morpheus
X-51

Post by Morpheus »

I think that something that should be said is that, if we ignore the absurdity of the DX3 augs and focus on their sleek appearance when they're collapsed down into "normal body part" mode, the appearance of DX3 augs may very well be more realistic than Deus Ex's mechanical augs. Real world prosthetics are advancing very fast, and they may well overtake Deus Ex's clunky impossible-to-pass-off-as-normal mech augs in the near future.
I agree, but I'll hold judgement till I actually get to play the game and see how the augs actually are. About Real world prosthetics and stuff like augs...I read once not that long ago that a woman who had a glass eye, had it removed and replaced by a camera with I think a 640x480 resolution, which in future could be improved, so by the end people with such cameras in their head could end up having better vision than the rest of us, but I don't know what resolution that would take.
Perhaps it's a catch-22 situation from a marketing perspective. Say it's a prequel to get the DX fans in but risk alienating them at the same time by not making it Deus EX worthy. This sounds horribly familiar, yet I still will give it a try before making any final judgement.
Well we may have to face that no Deus Ex game could match up to original (only time will tell with DX3), so we may have to judge it based on how good it is, neverminding how good the original was
Let me think... Flames in public domain, where children might be playing or at least running around? And what to think about power supply, or, if they were flames, gas supply? It would require an awful lot of power or gas, it's dangerous.
Well in DX2, he areas where the lasers were placed, would you expect to find kids running around there? I would not, unless there is somewhere I'm missing that could have kids in it.
My nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
My whistle/flute videos (and some other videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/DXMorpheus
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Morpheus wrote: Well we may have to face that no Deus Ex game could match up to original
Word fail. Any game could match up to the original Deus ex. But we may have to face that no game ever will.

Also; on the flame lasers. Doors do not fill the same purpose, it is a lot easier to steal a key, than it is to steal a keycode. So a flame grid is a lot safer when it comes to that.
odio ergo sum
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Jaedar wrote:Also; on the flame lasers. Doors do not fill the same purpose, it is a lot easier to steal a key, than it is to steal a keycode.
How about a door opened with a keypad? :P
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Jonas wrote: How about a door opened with a keypad? :P
Would be prone to breaking/blocking etc. You cant trust mechanical devices like that. A laser would be much more dependable. Plus doors are easier to blow up, since you could hide the laser emitters in the wall if you wanted to.
odio ergo sum
Xesum
Illuminati

Post by Xesum »

It's easier to break the door too.
Paul, I know you said no phone messages, but South Street's going up in smoke. We'll have to meet at the subway station.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

mmmmm, emp grenade or LAM? No stuff it an me 20 mm round and it wouldn't matter what was there. :lol:
Xesum
Illuminati

Post by Xesum »

I'd suggest having a Kick Attack, or a LAW.
Paul, I know you said no phone messages, but South Street's going up in smoke. We'll have to meet at the subway station.
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

Morpheus wrote:
Well we may have to face that no Deus Ex game could match up to original (only time will tell with DX3), so we may have to judge it based on how good it is, neverminding how good the original was
I don't believe that there is a catch 22 here. Nor do I believe it to be the case that no game could live up to the original.

I think the situation is fairly simple: if you want to draw in Deus Ex fans by giving it the Deus Ex name then you have to put in the effort. If you're going to use the Deus Ex name make a game that actually fits into Deus Ex's world and timeline, make a game that follows Deus Ex's design principles. Put in all due effort making it the best game it can be. Do those things and it will live up to the original. Unless you suck.

The Deus Ex 3 team has already made clear that they're not even trying to make a game that fits in Deus Ex's world. What principles they're using to guide their design are not entirely clear, but what little we've heard of it indicates they they're not trying to make a Deus Ex-like game. Either of those, on its own, would indicate that they're not trying to make a game that would live up to the original. So if this game doesn't live up to Deus Ex that isn't evidence that no game can, it is an indication that if you don't try to make such a game it won't happen.

There's still a lot of room for them to make a good game, but I have difficulty believing that the connection it has to Deus Ex will be a good thing for the players. I'm sure it will help the game's sales. And if I were a stockholder of course I'd want to do whatever increases sales, but as a player if I'm playing a game that is nothing like Deus Ex I think that I'd get more enjoyment out of it if I weren't constantly reminded that it was nothing like Deus Ex by the fact that it claimed it was a Deus Ex game.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Well they better change the title pdq.
Morpheus
X-51

Post by Morpheus »

Word fail. Any game could match up to the original Deus ex. But we may have to face that no game ever will.
*buzz* no, not word fail...I didn't mention other games, I just said "Well we may have to face that no Deus Ex game could match up to original" and so far DX2 didn't match up to the original Deus Ex. It had to more though as being directly linked to the original Storyline by 20 years.
I think the situation is fairly simple: if you want to draw in Deus Ex fans by giving it the Deus Ex name then you have to put in the effort. If you're going to use the Deus Ex name make a game that actually fits into Deus Ex's world and timeline, make a game that follows Deus Ex's design principles. Put in all due effort making it the best game it can be. Do those things and it will live up to the original. Unless you suck.
Yes, that could really be it. Deus Ex 2 failed in many aspects because it had some things the original was good about:

Original had (just a few things I'm mentioning here):

Hackable keypads or you could type code in
Computers could be hacked, or you could type code in
Every weapon had its own ammo, some had two types of ammo, crossbow had 3
Inventory had a lot of slots
Skills, so you could train your skills to certian things, finding hidden areas or completing goals gave you the skill points needed.
Long gameplay with great designed levels, most of real world locations
Three entirley different endings to the story

Deus Ex 2 Had:

You needed to either find code on datacube or be told it for many keypads to work, some could be picked with multitools
If you had hacking biomod, you could only hack computers and snack machines, you can't use credits in snack machines with hacking mod installed.
Eery weapon used the same ammo, so if one used more ammo than another, you get kinda screwed at times
Inventory was limited in slots, but was good for what you could have
Once you have strength biomod installed, it can't be turned off in most areas, so accidently hit an NPC with an object you pick up and you hurt them and they turn hostile
No Skills
Medium length gameplay, smaller maps than original
No matter what you do, you can still end up with any ending available and none mak you feel what you have done has been really worth it...even the easy way out, going with Leo has the world destoryed by Omar, even when he ditches his ties with the Omar.

You need to mix good graphics, a great storyline and a well thoughtout plot with a good style of game play, weapons, items and multiple choices on how you do certian things, its the strategy in Deus Ex that made it what it was, no one way of doing anything, there was always another way to completing a goal. In original with a mix of skills and augs and weapons, you could make yourself a style of character based on one style of gameplay if you know what I mean.
There's still a lot of room for them to make a good game, but I have difficulty believing that the connection it has to Deus Ex will be a good thing for the players. I'm sure it will help the game's sales. And if I were a stockholder of course I'd want to do whatever increases sales, but as a player if I'm playing a game that is nothing like Deus Ex I think that I'd get more enjoyment out of it if I weren't constantly reminded that it was nothing like Deus Ex by the fact that it claimed it was a Deus Ex game.
True, if it has the title "Deus Ex" people will still try and get it to live up to the original, because it is supposed to be set in a Deus Ex world, even if its not going to have much of a connection to the Deus Ex storyline. It can still be a great game, but the let down will be to some, if it does not do good to the Deus Ex storyline.
My nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
My whistle/flute videos (and some other videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/DXMorpheus
Xesum
Illuminati

Post by Xesum »

The endings point is stupid, because at the end of Deus Ex, you can go either side.