Free 3D Modelling Software! Bryce 3D

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Master_Kale
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Free 3D Modelling Software! Bryce 3D

Post by Master_Kale »

I don't know if this is a benefit to anyone here, but I found an interesting offer on Digg: http://digg.com/apple/Bryce_5_5_Full_Ve ... n_Software

Apparently, Bryce 5.5 is being offered for free from the people over at AZ Productions in the hopes that people will like it enough to upgrade to 6.1 for $20. I might give it a go simply because its free, but I figured someone else here might be able to use it, since it IS legitimate software and not something H4XED from Limewire :P
Zeitgeist
UNATCO

Post by Zeitgeist »

Or you can avoid Nagware and use Blender.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Well, Bryce is like 3D modeling for children. Even I can use it, or at least I have used it.

Blender makes newbies cry.
Dead-eye
X-51

Post by Dead-eye »

LOL... sorry I'm a blender user.

P.S : http://www.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/showthrea ... +list+free
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Tonnochi wrote:Or you can avoid Nagware and use Blender.
Or use something that isn't so rubbish like Max or Maya.
Dead-eye
X-51

Post by Dead-eye »

SnipaMasta wrote:
Tonnochi wrote:Or you can avoid Nagware and use Blender.
Or use something that isn't so rubbish like Max or Maya.
Blender is rubbish?

I would disagree with that. Passing something off because it's open source just because it's open source is kinda like saying,

" all woman are sluts."

Now not only is the above statement untrue, but can coses people to think poorly of you.

I find Blender to be vary up to par with Maya, Max, and Lightwave.
Theres nothing I know of that you can't do in Blender that you can do in Maya , Max, or lightwave.

Every 3d tool has it own way of doing things, and some might be easer to do things in then other's but they all can do whatever you need them to, so long as you know how to use them.
Solid_Choke
UNATCO

Post by Solid_Choke »

I'm pretty sure Maya is free for "student use" as long as it's not for profit. It is a little too powerful for me at the moment though :(
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

justanotherfan wrote:Well, Bryce is like 3D modeling for children. Even I can use it, or at least I have used it.

Blender makes newbies cry.
Ok, you've convinced me to try. :P
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Dead-eye wrote: I find Blender to be vary up to par with Maya, Max, and Lightwave.
Theres nothing I know of that you can't do in Blender that you can do in Maya , Max, or lightwave.
If you said that to anyone in the professional industry, their reaction would help you understand how wrong that is. I wasn't attacking open source in general - I've used Blender myself and thought it was completely shite. No where near the intuative interface of modelling tools such as Max or Maya.

Solid_Choke - there's a "Personal Learning Edition" available that lets you do everything except render properly.
Dead-eye
X-51

Post by Dead-eye »

SnipaMasta wrote:
If you said that to anyone in the professional industry, their reaction would help you understand how wrong that is. I wasn't attacking open source in general - I've used Blender myself and thought it was completely shite. No where near the intuative interface of modelling tools such as Max or Maya.
Yeah I hear a lot of people say that but I find that my work flow is faster inside Blender then in Maya. The keyboard shortcuts make it easy to do stuff fast, and if you need to use a tool that you don't know the keyboard shortcut for, just hit the space bar and look.

The interface is customizable, and comes with 5 other layouts. So if your modeling use the modeling layout, if your animating use the animating layout.

I will give you this, Blender is a little harder to learn then Max, Maya or lightwave. Probably because of its crazy non-slandered layout system but it's not a worse system for doing things. I prefer it over other modeling programs because of that. It's a lot easer for me to look at the top of a model by hitting the 7 key on the D-pad, instead of looking throw 4 different windows to find that one vertex (Of course if you don't like that you could add 3 more windows and set that as your default. ) I also prefer using the D-pad to look up, down, left and right.

The only problems I find with Blender that I don't find with Maya, Max or Ligthtwave is a lake of good tutorials. But the fact that Blender's free has cosed me to put up with that and look hard for some good ones.

It just seems to me that other 3d app users say the interface sucks, but I (along with all the blender users out there) find it vary easy to use once you get the hang of it.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Personally I don't think an interface should be a struggle to get used to. I found Max very easy to use immediately, but with Blender I was just plain confused - it just doesn't seem as orderly as professional programs.
CryptoQuick
Thug

Post by CryptoQuick »

I've used other 3D modeling programs, but since I've learned on Blender, they seem unwieldy and don't have the features I want set up the way they should be.

I don't understand why people complain about it; Blender offers a very simple interface-- deceptively simple, even-- however, despite this, it does not otherwise lack in functionality, except for a few places. One major thing I dislike about Blender is that it doesn't have adequate beveling facilities, however, I hear this can be assuaged with a script. Many modelers have shortcomings like this; Modo is one example where certain functionalities such as mesh cleaning can be helped by a script.

The biggest thing about Blender are keyboard shortcuts. If you can't learn them, then you're out of the game. In fact, the entire game-- Any 3D modeler worth his or her salt will learn keyboard shortcuts like a gamer knows WASD.

Also, Blender is getting better features all the time. Just a month or two ago, it got SSS, which is awesome. It can't be replicated inside of current games real-time AFAIK, but it definitely looks awesome, especially jade.

I'm very technical-minded, however, and am terrible at 3D mesh- modeling. I'm actually more of a procedural guy; I'm rather decent at making procedural textures and models. Hey, it's the future, you might as well look into it now. :)
Phasmatis
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Phasmatis »

If you want to get into the user-friendly argument Cinema4d beats Maya, Max, XSI or most other apps hands down imo. I hate max's work flow, you have to go though a million menus just to find a function you want but really it all comes down to personal preference, some people will prefer Max some people will prefer Blender.

If you want to get into the industry you will most likely have to get used to one of the top apps but essentially if you can model in one app you can model in them all.
Keeper of the pointy stick of injustice™.
CryptoQuick
Thug

Post by CryptoQuick »

My friend says that Maya is a freaking awesome program for animating and rendering, but it sucks for modeling, so he chooses to use Luxology Modo for that aspect. These are both professional-grade programs, and are replacing the industry standard, 3ds.