Deus Ex: No. 1 game of all time.

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: Deus Ex: No. 1 game of all time.

Post by Jonas »

Yeah they had it as #1 last year too. They've got taste, those PC Gamer guys.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Undisputed
UNATCO

Post by Undisputed »

I agree, very solid list. Diablo 2 is a strange choice however.
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

I bought this issue of PCGamer when it came out the other week, but it was actually Top 100 Games. Pretty good list.
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Undisputed wrote:I agree, very solid list. Diablo 2 is a strange choice however.
WoW is even weirder imo.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Well regardless of WoW's many unethical dimensions and the general suckitude of its core gameplay, there's no getting around it in a historical or cultural context really. I think it deserves to be on the list just for its world design, which is amazing. I would seriously love a game that took place in WoW's world, but had less mindnumbing gameplay and a proper story.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

Jonas wrote:Well regardless of WoW's many unethical dimensions and the general suckitude of its core gameplay, there's no getting around it in a historical or cultural context really. I think it deserves to be on the list just for its world design, which is amazing. I would seriously love a game that took place in WoW's world, but had less mindnumbing gameplay and a proper story.
WoW has a story?
I've ever liked the mythical fantasy theme in games anyway, much prefere stuff on the other end of the spectrum; Sci-fi and the like.

On an MMO related note, Anyone read anything into the new Star Wars MMO; The Old Republic?
It looks pretty good, and having been a fan of the KotOR series, I'm pretty excited too see how it will turn out.
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

nerdenstein wrote:WoW has a story?
Yes.
I've ever liked the mythical fantasy theme in games anyway, much prefere stuff on the other end of the spectrum; Sci-fi and the like.
But it's very mature of you that you can distinguish between the noteworthiness or the artistic merit of a game and your own personal preference.
On an MMO related note, Anyone read anything into the new Star Wars MMO; The Old Republic?
Yeah.
It looks pretty good, and having been a fan of the KotOR series, I'm pretty excited too see how it will turn out.
It looks all right but its core gameplay looks just as dull as WoW's. I'll check it out when it's released, but I'm not expecting much.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Rain
Thug

Post by Rain »

Well, I'm glad to see it still getting some exposure. I remember reading about it in PC Gamer as Game of the Year in 2000, back when I was 11. Then I got it free with an issue of Computer Gaming magazine a couple of years later. Ah, the memories.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Rain wrote:Well, I'm glad to see it still getting some exposure. I remember reading about it in PC Gamer as Game of the Year in 2000, back when I was 11. Then I got it free with an issue of Computer Gaming magazine a couple of years later. Ah, the memories.
Heh, I first played it in 2002 and wasn't enjoying it that much....until Hong Kong. It was Jock's message about the raid on Smuggler's and that it didn't look like he had made it out.
That's when I started to get it, that even something (conversation choice) you thought wasn't that important had consequences. Deus Ex along with Freelancer made realise that I really liked playing video games.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Grammatolatry
MJ12

Post by Grammatolatry »

I love how the one judge feels guilty about unnecessary killing of pixels too. DX is so real that way.
wink wonk
Undisputed
UNATCO

Post by Undisputed »

Jonas wrote:Well regardless of WoW's many unethical dimensions and the general suckitude of its core gameplay, there's no getting around it in a historical or cultural context really. I think it deserves to be on the list just for its world design, which is amazing. I would seriously love a game that took place in WoW's world, but had less mindnumbing gameplay and a proper story.
There we go, I remember trying WoW for a couple hours and had to run through miles of empty grasslands/hills. It can get very boring to travel but it seems to be a decent game, has anyone noticed the runescape-like character build? That was awkward to see..
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Uh, I only played Portal and DX on that top ten part...

I love the story about the cat. It is lame, but that's the sort of story DX creates.

I should play Rome Total War. I've totally used burning pigs in another game, and they really did work well.