Are these enough for DX:HR?

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Onemaster
NSF

Are these enough for DX:HR?

Post by Onemaster »

Hi. I'm still using quite an old rig with ancient components (graphics card from 2004, processor from 2003 etc, pathetic, I know) and I'm planning to buy quite new and awesome components:
Processor: Intel Core i5 3.3 GHz LGA1155 (quad core)
Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 560
And also 8 GB RAM, Win 7, 2TB hard disk space etc, but the processor and the graphics card are the most meaningful things I suppose.

Will Deus Ex: Human Revolution run just fine with these components? Will they serve the game so well that I won't even notice minor lag ingame?

I checked this out a bit on game-debate.com but I'd love to get an answer from any computer wizard here.
I wish there was something more I could say.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Re: Are these enough for DX:HR?

Post by bobby 55 »

Short answer: Absolutely.

I wish I had that setup, then I'd be able to play the games my piddly 2 core duo 2ghrz won't let me play. *sobs*
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
paladin181
Thug

Post by paladin181 »

Better than my Rig, and I run it fine on moderate graphics settings.
Onemaster
NSF

Post by Onemaster »

Alright, great! Thanks for the answers. I guess I made good choices.
Undisputed
UNATCO

Post by Undisputed »

You may even be able to get away with running the ENB series.
Onemaster
NSF

Post by Onemaster »

Ah great, about ENB - in what ways does it change HR gameplay? I don't really know anything about it.
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

Onemaster wrote:Ah great, about ENB - in what ways does it change HR gameplay? I don't really know anything about it.
It doesn't. It modifies the graphics. Whether it makes it better is debatable. In the case of Human Revolution, it probably does so I'll definitely give it ago at some point. Whereas ENB for Deus Ex, I didn't like it so much.
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
Onemaster
NSF

Post by Onemaster »

Guess I'll try it on my 2nd playthrough.
By the way, which version of HR should I buy? Is the Augmented Edition worth it? Or just a waste of money?
And is it good to buy the game on Steam?
On GameSpot the game is significantly cheaper but is it BETTER on Steam or something?
I'll say that Steam can really annoy me sometimes.
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

Couple of things. Firstly, the first replies in this thread are probably wrong if you're sensitive to lag.

Human Revolution has a fair number of bells and whistles, chiefly among them a woefully demanding setting - the kind of real time dynamic coloured lightning crysis came up with, though I can't recall what its called...

Result is that, never mind anti aliasing, if you want 8x anisotropic, all graphical settings enabled, and you game at 1920x1200, you'll notice the lag, even on that rig.

I can't tell you how much exactly - I'm on a GTX260 myself, which is able to push somewhere between 1/3rd and 2/3rds the FPS of a 560, but if I enable everything, the lag is so bad that I would notice even a third of the lag, no question. So unless there have been driver updates since I played, or unless my estimate is completely wrong (which is a possibility), you'll notice the lag.

I bet the game will be very playable, but you're not going to cap it at 60fps with everything enabled. For that, you probably need a couple of 6950'es in crossfire...

The main problem is that Deus Ex has a lot of full scene after effects for you to enable. FPS's designed for consoles generally have to deal with horrendous lag imposed by modern day LCD TV's, controllerlag, and much more coarse controll in the first place, and while the pc is well supported, HR was not designed for PC. A little extra lag generated by full scene effects is not commonly considered a problem, since theres already so much.

Full scene effects like to add between 10 and 50 milliseconds to the lag, but when the engine can be optimized for the hardware, it's usually towards the lower end...but those same effects are never optimized for the various PC hardware by the developers. Sometimes, though, they _are_ optimized by the video card vendors through driver updates....which is why new drivers for the nvidia video cards doubled geforce cards performance in dragon age 2 overnight, a week or so after release.

The point is, even if you buy the best rig currently on the market, you shouldn't expect zero lag with all effects.

The specs you post will, however, let you play HR with very good performance, and very pretty graphics.
paladin181
Thug

Post by paladin181 »

The Augmented Edition includes all the DLC except Missing Link. I got this version, and it's nice. It unlocks everything that was on the disc, including the Longsword Silenced Sniper Rifle, UR-DED Explosive packs, Automatic Unlocking Devices, the Double Barrel shotgun (handily equipped with the round burst upgrade to fire two rounds at once), 10,000 extra credits, the Grenade Launcher, and the Rescue Tracer Tong mission. I may have missed something, but that's the bulk of it. Unfortunately, there's no way to turn the DLC features off, so when you start, your inventory gets packed with UR-DED explosives, the Double Barrel Shotgun and the Longsword, along with a little ammo for each. You also automatically get the 10,000 credits, and can't skip the Tracer Tong mission even if you choose to (It's short and not TOO hard). So beyond that, it's pretty boss, and it is a small complaint, but a complaint nonetheless.
Onemaster
NSF

Post by Onemaster »

AEmer wrote:Couple of things. Firstly, the first replies in this thread are probably wrong if you're sensitive to lag.

Human Revolution has a fair number of bells and whistles, chiefly among them a woefully demanding setting - the kind of real time dynamic coloured lightning crysis came up with, though I can't recall what its called...

Result is that, never mind anti aliasing, if you want 8x anisotropic, all graphical settings enabled, and you game at 1920x1200, you'll notice the lag, even on that rig.

I can't tell you how much exactly - I'm on a GTX260 myself, which is able to push somewhere between 1/3rd and 2/3rds the FPS of a 560, but if I enable everything, the lag is so bad that I would notice even a third of the lag, no question. So unless there have been driver updates since I played, or unless my estimate is completely wrong (which is a possibility), you'll notice the lag.

I bet the game will be very playable, but you're not going to cap it at 60fps with everything enabled. For that, you probably need a couple of 6950'es in crossfire...

The main problem is that Deus Ex has a lot of full scene after effects for you to enable. FPS's designed for consoles generally have to deal with horrendous lag imposed by modern day LCD TV's, controllerlag, and much more coarse controll in the first place, and while the pc is well supported, HR was not designed for PC. A little extra lag generated by full scene effects is not commonly considered a problem, since theres already so much.

Full scene effects like to add between 10 and 50 milliseconds to the lag, but when the engine can be optimized for the hardware, it's usually towards the lower end...but those same effects are never optimized for the various PC hardware by the developers. Sometimes, though, they _are_ optimized by the video card vendors through driver updates....which is why new drivers for the nvidia video cards doubled geforce cards performance in dragon age 2 overnight, a week or so after release.

The point is, even if you buy the best rig currently on the market, you shouldn't expect zero lag with all effects.

The specs you post will, however, let you play HR with very good performance, and very pretty graphics.
Alright, thanks a lot for this info!
paladin181 wrote:The Augmented Edition includes all the DLC except Missing Link. I got this version, and it's nice. It unlocks everything that was on the disc, including the Longsword Silenced Sniper Rifle, UR-DED Explosive packs, Automatic Unlocking Devices, the Double Barrel shotgun (handily equipped with the round burst upgrade to fire two rounds at once), 10,000 extra credits, the Grenade Launcher, and the Rescue Tracer Tong mission. I may have missed something, but that's the bulk of it. Unfortunately, there's no way to turn the DLC features off, so when you start, your inventory gets packed with UR-DED explosives, the Double Barrel Shotgun and the Longsword, along with a little ammo for each. You also automatically get the 10,000 credits, and can't skip the Tracer Tong mission even if you choose to (It's short and not TOO hard). So beyond that, it's pretty boss, and it is a small complaint, but a complaint nonetheless.
Okay thanks, I may not buy Augmented, because I guess it wouldn't be such a great loss and I'll also save some cash. But I'll still look into it a bit.
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

yup. It's safe to buy the standard edition, especially since I hear you can install a mod and get the dlc goodies if you want them for free...

Happy gaming =]
Undisputed
UNATCO

Post by Undisputed »

Don't bother with the augmented version friend, there is a debug menu that unlocks the contents of the DLC because its already on the disc. Ultimately its your choice however.
Onemaster
NSF

Post by Onemaster »

Awesome, thanks guys!