Older/Newer Version Maps

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Mathalor
Thug

Older/Newer Version Maps

Post by Mathalor »

I'm reinstalling deus ex at the moment, and I'm wondering if I should hunt down newer version maps. I got my game, which is the game of the year edition, through steam. Apparantly when the Game of the Year Edition shipped it went out without up to date maps. I found a link at the time for the newest versions of the maps on steam's forums. Apparantly stuff is in different places and it fixes the no music thing on one of the maps. Now steam's forums are down and I can't find my link, and google isn't helping.

Are changing the maps worth it? Does anyone know where I can find them?

If this is worth it, even though it isn't technically modding, you might list it in the mods section.
Mathalor
Thug

Re: Older/Newer Version Maps

Post by Mathalor »

With that many views I would've expected a response. Oh well.

For anyone else who's looking, I found the old link:

http://www.rocket-downloads.com/host/De ... Patch10.7z

I notice small differences in many of the maps. ammo here, a data cube there, etc. Music in hell's kitchen 3rd visit. I'm still curious if anyone else finds this important or not.
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

It's been talked about (viewtopic.php?f=18&t=10825&start=90 going for a few pages) . You basically pointed out the differences. There's just a few minor things between the files. No one seems to know any substantial reasons for the differences. What my thought was is that they started with the "older maps" than 1.109f when they needed something simpler for the PS2 version, developed those simultaneously with the 1.109f version and then made the PS2 maps 1.112f for the PC version after they worked on them some (makes sense to merge the code trees). The main issue I have with the idea of using the 1.109f maps is that when they worked on the "older maps" (no one can identify what the original version of those are), they fixed a few major bugs that still exist in the 1.109f maps.

The real problems: No one can really verify in a concrete way (date stamps aren't a concrete way, since you can change those easily) that the 1.112f maps are really "older maps". And if they are, there has verifiable work done on the 1.112f that fixed bugs that exist in the 1.109f version. To that end, there really isn't much benefit to going either way since the game play is similar in both. My main objection to the idea in the quoted thread was that these bug fixes do exist (I'd hate the idea of deliberately introducing those) - it'd be nice if they were to start with the older VERSION maps if there was an honest bug fix effort or at least some authoritative verification (and none exists here unless someone from ISA is here or has written/interviewed about it) as to what the deal is with these two versions.
Mathalor
Thug

Post by Mathalor »

Thank you, I never would have found that in the New Vision Mod forum. But it clears things up for me.