Renderer Crash with 2027 (?)

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

ETPC
Thug

Renderer Crash with 2027 (?)

Post by ETPC »

I'm getting a recurring crash whenever I try to launch 2027. The crash is this:

http://puu.sh/bO8sB/621d6d2a98.png

I have all my drivers for my video card (GTX 660) up to date as well as the latest version of DX9.0c and NET Framework 3.5. What gives?

Is this just a finicky mod? I run a Steam version of DX on Windows 8.1, if that matters. I'm also running it with ~*advanced effects*~ which I assume means ENB is in play here. Would updating ENB help that?

Thanks for the help! <3

Edit: ooookay. Now this is happening with every mod. Just tried launching Burden of 80 Proof and got the same errors.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Re: Renderer Crash with 2027 (?)

Post by bobby 55 »

Erk, I don't recall seeing that particular error posted here before. I'm still on Windows 7 so the only thing I can suggest is try running them in compatibility mode if you haven't already.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Hanfling
MJ12

Post by Hanfling »

Try a different renderer and/or updating direct x.
I demand my DXE User ID back. Launcher for DeusEx, Rune, Nerf, Unreal & Botpack. HX on Mod DB. Revision on Steam.
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

ETPC wrote: I have all my drivers for my video card (GTX 660) up to date as well as the latest version of DX9.0c and NET Framework 3.5. What gives?

Is this just a finicky mod? I run a Steam version of DX on Windows 8.1
Are you recently upgraded to Windows 8.1? "DirectX 9.0c" sounds like something you might have kept for Windows XP. Download the web setup and update your DirectX files that way, as they are different. Absent that, run a different renderer.
ETPC
Thug

Post by ETPC »

ggrotz wrote:
Are you recently upgraded to Windows 8.1? "DirectX 9.0c" sounds like something you might have kept for Windows XP. Download the web setup and update your DirectX files that way, as they are different. Absent that, run a different renderer.
Naw, I've had 8.1 for a year now. It's been flawless with DX except for some DEP issues in the beginning. I actually just finished DX: Nhilium and TNM with no issues what so ever (except for a weird thing where sometimes textures would go black until i opened a menu)

However, with 2027 installed, everything DX related spits out those errors.

I did reinstall DirectX with the websetup but the error still happens. Tried reinstalling my drivers too.
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

ETPC wrote: I did reinstall DirectX with the websetup but the error still happens. Tried reinstalling my drivers too.
Okay, evidently something's broken with the Geforce drivers that is causing this.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topi ... -thread/4/
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topi ... 2/#4318352

The fix indicated seems to attempt a uninstall and reinstall of the Geforce Experience part. Barring that from working, using an uninstaller app like Revo Uninstaller on Experience and then reinstalling (or leaving it off the system).
ETPC
Thug

Post by ETPC »

Oh whoa. That's crazy. I'll give that a shot then!

Thank you for the response :D
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

ETPC wrote: I actually just finished DX: Nhilium and TNM with no issues what so ever (except for a weird thing where sometimes textures would go black until i opened a menu)
This is a known Direct3D10 bug that is present on certain hardware, that's why I recommend Direct3D9.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ox1XLYY ... k9MVrBQcnA
Producer and Quality Assurance Manager for Deus Ex: Revision.
ETPC
Thug

Post by ETPC »

bjorn98009_91 wrote:
ETPC wrote: I actually just finished DX: Nhilium and TNM with no issues what so ever (except for a weird thing where sometimes textures would go black until i opened a menu)
This is a known Direct3D10 bug that is present on certain hardware, that's why I recommend Direct3D9.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ox1XLYY ... k9MVrBQcnA
Has there been any investigation into why this happens? it was far more prevalent in TNM (often entire levels would lose their textures) then it was in DX and DX: Nhilium.
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

Nope. It doesn't occur for Marijn Kentie on his hardware, so it's a bit hard for him to troubleshoot. It's contained to the D3D10 renderer, so there is something in there that doesn't play nice with some graphics cards, so far I think we've tracked it down to nVidia hardware.

There is also this glitch that occurs on some configurations with D3D10: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fne13-L ... e=youtu.be
Producer and Quality Assurance Manager for Deus Ex: Revision.
ETPC
Thug

Post by ETPC »

Well, GeForce Experience got updated and it no longer crashes with that error anymore.

However, it still crashes, but now with no error message. I'm gonna look and see if DEP is enabled for 2027 by mistake because DX used to do this.

Edit: Yup, that fixed it! Now to make time between essays and essays for DX :P
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

bjorn98009_91 wrote:Nope. It doesn't occur for Marijn Kentie on his hardware, so it's a bit hard for him to troubleshoot. It's contained to the D3D10 renderer, so there is something in there that doesn't play nice with some graphics cards, so far I think we've tracked it down to nVidia hardware.

There is also this glitch that occurs on some configurations with D3D10: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fne13-L ... e=youtu.be
I should note that I get text that scrambles with the D3D10 renderer.

Coincidentally of all the renderers I've tried on my system, the D3D11 render seems to work best (and looks the best). Save the naming bug I mentioned before, I'd probably be running it instead of what I'm using now.
ETPC
Thug

Post by ETPC »

So other question, and I know this is one the community has put up with before, but is there a resource or a list anywhere that tells me if NV/HDTP works with a certain mod? Or is there a logic to it?
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

ETPC wrote:So other question, and I know this is one the community has put up with before, but is there a resource or a list anywhere that tells me if NV/HDTP works with a certain mod? Or is there a logic to it?
if NV is properly installed it works with everything, as it's just extra texture resources.

HDTP works with everything that is not a direct system DeusEx.u replacement, if properly installed into those mods. That means if it's a level mod (2027, TNM, etc), it'll work fine. If it's a system DeusEx.u replacement (Shifter, Biomod for instance), it'll work if only if it's been explicitly programmed to work.
ETPC
Thug

Post by ETPC »

Good to know! Thanks :D