GMDXv9.0 Release

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

SkrillaX
NSF

Re: GMDXv9.0 Announced

Post by SkrillaX »

The smoke and one type of explosion effect are borrowed also. It's no secret, so there's nothing to confess.

If the 2027 developers have a problem with it they can get in contact with me personally and I'll have my artist create new ones or borrow those assets from elsewhere.

Until then, get out of my thread.
MY Artists . Whoa you mean the team's artists
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Why is "advanced coding" in quotes? I've never said I were an advanced coder. I'm intermediate, probably.
MY Artists . Whoa you mean the team's artists
What fucking team?

GMDX is 97.5% my sweat, tears and blood, primarily due to being ignored for the first 3/4 of development. I always wanted a team. Those that have contributed are credited in the readme. Only one person has contributed even slightly enough for there to be some semblance of a "team", but he abandoned the project a long time ago. Nonetheless he is credited appropriately.

I don't give a shit about a credit reel. That's Ion Storm's space and the majority of roles would just have my name listed anyway.

I wasn't "covering up" anything, it was just in poor taste. But yeah, would you kindly fuck off?
Last edited by Cybernetic pig on Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SkrillaX
NSF

Post by SkrillaX »

Well, sorry about that . I didn't realize this. I'm sorry for you. Sorry that i downsized GMDX due to it's lack of originality. I'm sorry. GMDX is a great mod made by a solo developer . I wish that people would've contributed to this great mod, and not abandon a fellow deus ex fan. Gee, would you accept my apologies
Made in China
MJ12

Post by Made in China »

Jesus, there's a lot of drama.
SkrillaX, your claims aren't backed by facts, nor do you know what code plagiarism actually is. As an EE student I took a number of coding classes and have been subject to a lot of code checks in homework, and it boils down to code formatting, logic, general order and optimizations - which are all unproven, as you can't read code well. What you've brought up is variable names, which are pretty generic so even they don't imply anything.

Now, it is Cybernetic Pig's thread, but you're allowed to have a voice (the way I see it). However, you've been spamming it with baseless claims, profanity and double posting and absolutely zero on-topic contributions. Since none of us here is a mod, all we can do is ask you to refrain from posting unless you have something important to say.

Regarding CP's two uses of profanity, he isn't the Queen of England and you can't expect perfect manners when attacking someone. And he has made many contributions to this thread than you have, the most important of which the creation of this mod. So it might seem a little biased to you, but he has earned his place here (in his own thread, no less) and you haven't.

Also, sarcasm doesn't help. Be grateful for the help CP gave you in the other topics and for the fact he's giving from his own free time to create a free mod, as he was grateful for others in creating assets for him to use.
Quoted from the readme:

Code: Select all

||--------------------------------------------------------------------------||
||  Additional credits & thanks:                                            ||
||--------------------------------------------------------------------------||

Testers:

Fox 
DDentonas
Specom 
Bobby55 
Marcelo 
WildcatPhoenix 
Marvin 
Varderac 
Piotr "ToasterTester" Federowicz
jasmine-ja2
zbu3rz
helpimarock
dev221117
TheUnbeholden
IcarusAI
Hellcaller
Trepe
damjancd
brunocar
Keyboardjunkie
denton13
Lichking
SnowTheDrifter
ggrotz
Dark_Evilous
{zXc}Henry
Hawawaa
shodanbot
AmmoniaVII
SyndicateWheels
macd11
ocean114
sgtnapalm
Descent95
qqq31
18x37

Other:

Dan Mayhew (various 2D & 3D art assets)
DDL (Permission to build GMDX on top of 'HDTP' & misc. assistance). 
G-Flex (Misc. assistance & misc. adapted code from his mod 'Human Renovation').
eshkrm (Cameras detect corpses code).
Y|Yukichigai (Snippets of code taken from his mod 'Shifter' for a few bug fixes).
Clyzm (New weapons).
Bjorn98009_91 (Misc. assistance)
Project 2027 team (some SFX & textures from the exceptional 2027 Deus Ex TC).
Whoever made the "DXIW SoundDrome" program to extract the sounds from Deus Ex: Invisible War.
GMDX logo by Syntax_Error
Moddb.com for hosting the mod.
Last but certainly not least: Ion Storm Austin & Looking Glass Studios. Still more than relevant today. 
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

SkrillaX wrote:Well, sorry about that . I didn't realize this. I'm sorry for you. Sorry that i downsized GMDX due to it's lack of originality. I'm sorry. GMDX is a great mod made by a solo developer . I wish that people would've contributed to this great mod, and not abandon a fellow deus ex fan. Gee, would you accept my apologies
Not sure if sarcasm. This is frequently said to be the "definitive Deus Ex experience", the "default way to play DX today", and I did it mostly on my lonesome, so no need to be sorry about the lack of support. I've got my pride, little of value as that is.

I just hope an animator comes on the scene, but someone specializing in vertex animation and contributes to mods these days is probably mostly unheard of.
Last edited by Cybernetic pig on Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SkrillaX
NSF

Post by SkrillaX »

1. I didn't post any profanity
2. I apologized to CyberP for neglecting his hard-work
3. I was just posting the things I observed in GMDX
Last edited by SkrillaX on Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SkrillaX
NSF

Post by SkrillaX »

I wasn't being sarcastic. I was just feeling sorry for u
Made in China
MJ12

Post by Made in China »

Are there any specific changes I should test in Hardcore mode? The progress in it is really slow, and it doesn't help that snipers can take me down in one hit. Otherwise, the balance seems good and punishing, like Dark Souls.
Speaking of Dark Souls, is being able to move while handling the inventory possible? That way more advanced players won't have to stop completely when they just need to select something that isn't on their toolbelt.

747 Hangar:
Speaking to the mechanic vendor, the item convo bug can still occur. You just need to have 5 recoil mods in your inventory and try and buy another one from him.

Hell's Kitchen, 2nd visit - MJ12 lab:
There's nothing in the sewage tunnel - is it intentional? In the 3rd visit, when everything is drained, there are some nice surprises there. So there is a bit of a risk/reward imbalance for environmental resistance and swimming.

Hell's Kitchen, 2nd visit - 'Ton Hotel:
Can't give Mr. Renton a modded pistol.

UNATCO Prison Break:
Miguel has a nasty habit of disappearing when you're not looking, and you have told him at least once to "make a break for it". He'll join you in the next area, but new players will just look for him and be confused.

China Hub:
Out of bounds, no collision on a wall - climb on top of the tunnel with the "Old China Hand" exit, and then continue to mantle near the air conditioning units. Now you've gone out of bounds.

General:
Can't use throwing knives underwater.

It seems that the new arm aug just takes a random slot. This time it took the cranial aug spot.

Notes:
Throwing knives are the second strongest low tech weapon, outclassing most other weapons when you consider all of the buffs you can use on them with augs and skills. They're also one of the best weapons when you consider they only take one space. This seems weird, but I'm not sure if it's a bug.

Meta knowledge exploitation - before the raid on the 'Ton, you can unlock the train station and proceed to Battery Park. You have an extremely small area to play around in, and that's fine. Everyone's friendly, including Gunther who cannot speak. Unless you go into the vent hut and then they're all turned to enemies.
And you can't go back to Hell's Kitchen, so you're essentially stuck there.
SlySpy
UNATCO

Post by SlySpy »

SkrillaX wrote:1. I didn't post any profanity
2. I apologized to CyberP for neglecting his hard-work
3. I was just posting the things I observed in GMDX
SkrillaX wrote:I wasn't being sarcastic. I was just feeling sorry for u
Your supposed "apology" post is passive aggressive, bordering on backhanded compliments. And no, you weren't just innocently posting observations, you were clearly implicating asset theft in passive aggressive manner (which is ridiculous since all assets used were credited), and completely ignored all counter-arguments in order to repetitiously repeat the same point over and over. You didn't even address the fact that other mods you referenced had been proven to use assets from other mods and games. All of this in the name of trying to belittle a mod, after this guy gave you extensive advice on dx modding in another thread.

Now that you start to receive the consequences of your passive aggressive posts, you act as if you didn't do anything wrong to absolve yourself of any sort of responsibility. I'm fine with forgiving you, reasoning with you, and even fine with you continuing to post here, but at least own up to your actions instead of being phony about it.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Made in China wrote: Speaking of Dark Souls, is being able to move while handling the inventory possible? That way more advanced players won't have to stop completely when they just need to select something that isn't on their toolbelt.
I don't believe so. I think keyboard control is overridden natively (used for shortcuts). But I need to look harder to confirm.
747 Hangar:
Speaking to the mechanic vendor, the item convo bug can still occur. You just need to have 5 recoil mods in your inventory and try and buy another one from him.
Fixed in latest beta build.
Hell's Kitchen, 2nd visit - MJ12 lab:
There's nothing in the sewage tunnel - is it intentional? In the 3rd visit, when everything is drained, there are some nice surprises there. So there is a bit of a risk/reward imbalance for environmental resistance and swimming.
You're not supposed to be able to get in there on the second visit. I will put something in there and support it though, rather than blocking it off. How'd you get in though?
General:
Should you be able to?
It seems that the new arm aug just takes a random slot. This time it took the cranial aug spot.
Fixed in the latest build.
Notes:
Throwing knives are the second strongest low tech weapon, outclassing most other weapons when you consider all of the buffs you can use on them with augs and skills. They're also one of the best weapons when you consider they only take one space. This seems weird, but I'm not sure if it's a bug.
Yeah, by design. About the same power as the mini-crossbow dart, which is good.
Meta knowledge exploitation - before the raid on the 'Ton, you can unlock the train station and proceed to Battery Park. You have an extremely small area to play around in, and that's fine. Everyone's friendly, including Gunther who cannot speak. Unless you go into the vent hut and then they're all turned to enemies.
Maybe I'll fix it.
SkrillaX
NSF

Post by SkrillaX »

Your supposed "apology" post is passive aggressive, bordering on backhanded compliments. And no, you weren't just innocently posting observations, you were clearly implicating asset theft in passive aggressive manner (which is ridiculous since all assets used were credited), and completely ignored all counter-arguments in order to repetitiously repeat the same point over and over. You didn't even address the fact that other mods you referenced had been proven to use assets from other mods and games. All of this in the name of trying to belittle a mod, after this guy gave you extensive advice on dx modding in another thread.

Now that you start to receive the consequences of your passive aggressive posts, you act as if you didn't do anything wrong to absolve yourself of any sort of responsibility. I'm fine with forgiving you, reasoning with you, and even fine with you continuing to post here, but at least own up to your actions instead of being phony about it.
All right, All right . Sheesh <_<
Just halt your lecturing ok
There's something called "a summary"
Made in China
MJ12

Post by Made in China »

Cybernetic pig wrote:
Made in China wrote:Hell's Kitchen, 2nd visit - MJ12 lab:
You're not supposed to be able to get in there on the second visit. I will put something in there and support it though, rather than blocking it off. How'd you get in though?
There are two security terminals in the second visit - the one in the office and the one near the lower bridge. They both have one static noise image camera with a door connected to them, but if you inspect them closely you'll see a difference - the bridge one has a door that's constantly closing and opening, while the office one has a properly functioning door. So, the former is the regular entrance by the train station, while the latter (after exploration) turns out to be the sewage tunnel's grate.
I really liked this part and searching for the door, as it rewards careful inspection. Plus, it gave me a reason to properly use Aqualung before Hong Kong.
Cybernetic pig wrote:
Made in China wrote:General:
Should you be able to?
It will be severely impaired, but so is everything else - melee weapons would require more energy to be swung at the same speed, and crossbows darts will lose their velocity far quicker. Realistically, even small-barrel arms should be able to fire underwater without their barrel blowing up, but again - the bullets will lose their kinetic energy very, very quickly.
I feel like there should be a distinction between "functions", which is a lot of weapons, a "functions well", which is just the combat knife. You don't have a speargun in Deus Ex.

EDIT: Looking at my screenshots, it seems like the "locate missing ambrosia barrel" goal in Castle Clinton did not clear when I did my ghost run of it. Went through the vending machine, underwater, and then mantled into the computer room. Exited through the top, talked to the kid and gave him some soy food, and then went back down and did the entire route the opposite way.
Made in China
MJ12

Post by Made in China »

Got up to Paris, will be taking a break for now. Went through Deus Ex: Revision's changelog to see if anything applies to GMDX and because they have far more testers than GMDX has.

My discoveries:
UNATCO's reception area is flipped after being imprisoned.

At least on the second visit to UNATCO HQ, Manderley's phone has no object name. I could swear I saw the same problem with a potted plant somewhere.

Canal road - remaining triad members do not despawn after the gang war, cluttering the entrance and just looking weird.

Hong Kong has multiple places with vagrants (such as the ship with the secret compartment) and with "Lab Flasks". I know JC lived a shelter life but he should at the very least be able to recognize a bong when he sees one.

Aqualung is automatic from the get-go, so super aug can is wasted on it.

Toggled visual effects are assumed to be inactive when loading a save, although their game states are saved - leading to bugged gameplay. Examples: vision aug, laser/crosshair replacement, cloak augs (visible on weapons/multitools/lockpicks).

Plasma (Gamma Ionized) clips - One on the ship, one in hell's kitchen or during the UNATCO prison break.

You can destroy the tri-hull welds with two swings of a DTS or throwing knives, and you can even retrieve the throwing knives afterwards! Also, it causes an explosion, which it shouldn't. Consider changing minimum damage to 100?

Inside the ship - In the room with the tri-hull weld and the spiderbot, the server closest to the door doesn't have collision.

Nanokeys' names are inconsistent. Some are "keys", some are "key codes", some are just... "Osgood". Also capitalization is inconsistent.

'Ton hotel - Cannot trigger the "What a shame" convo as JoJo always targets Sandra first.

Was the Chinese Security Bot (Tonnochi road) always painted differently? It looks sleeker than the UNATCO ones.

GMDX-added areas generally contain more locks than powerboxes/keypads, and AFAIK have no keys and codes. This causes the lockpick/multitool imbalance and general shortage.

Is it possible to to gib Paul and then get the "Paul's alive" path? I know he can die during the raid, but I don't think it matters as long as you exit through the door.

Paris derelict building is driving me up the wall. A lot of protruding blocks, made me want to to check/destroy every one of them. Deus Ex's original design is partially at fault here.

Throwing knives are only sometimes retrievable - not sure if it's a bug or a design choice.

SUGGESTION: Cloak / Thermoptic camo + Radar Invisibility make you undetectable even to augmented enemies.

SUGGESTION: Enforce a certain view angle in checkpoints. Most of them are stuck in crevices that unless you back into them you're just seeing a wall every time you load a save, and not only it's annoying, it makes it hard to differentiate saves from each other in the menu.

Revision's fixed bugs that are applicable in GMDX, most are verified:
Hell's Kitchen, 1st visit - If you have no inventory space and try talking to the gas grenades soldiers, they'll give you 8 gas grenades instead of 3 on further attempts.

Tong's lab - Wicker basket doesn't contain throwing knives.

Naval Base, interior - NPCs can't move between the dock and the ship.

UNATCO Prison Break - You get 5 throwing knives in the armory regardless of the amount you had when you were caught.

Brooklyn Bridge Train Staion - "Fixed Lenny’s conversation for trading him zyme if your inventory was full." - As long as you don't have a free inventory space for the LAM (even if you only had 1 zyme vial), he won't give you the LAM when returning to him and act as if the trade had already happened.

General - "Master level sniper rifles can now destroy laser emitters, an oversight in the code from the original."

General - "Flare darts give back normal darts instead of being reusable."

Morgan Everett's Apartment - Toby Atanwe's text and audio do not match.

Cemetery - "Changed Jock to ask if the player is ready, if the player asks him to wait and then retalks to him, rather than repeating the conversation over."

Missile Silo - "Fixed trashbag1 having contents incorrectly set." - I have no idea, but sounds worth checking up on.

"Fixed a texture saying "RESTRICED AREA" instead of "RESTRICTED AREA"." - Ditto.

Ocean Lab - "Fixed a typo in a vanilla datacube. "evironment" > "environment"." - Probably there in GMDX too.
Bogie
UNATCO

Post by Bogie »

Cybernetic pig wrote: It will be severely impaired, but so is everything else - melee weapons would require more energy to be swung at the same speed, and crossbows darts will lose their velocity far quicker.
I thought of an idea for certain projectile weapons - Throwing Knives, Crossbow (to some extent), and grenades. Maybe for grenade type weapons they'll work a bit similarly as intended, but will move slower than usual. Incorporating a perk for the Melee and Demolition skills that allow weapons to be swung at normal speeds or grenades to be thrown farther would be useful.

Or we could scrap all of that and just use the excuse that JC's an aug. :)
Made in China
MJ12

Post by Made in China »

I don't think that saying aerodynamics = hydrodynamics is the same as saying that JC is an aug, but whatever. It's not like many other physics majors are playing this, and even then most of them just wouldn't care. It's just a matter of balance.
Speaking of balance, completed Hardcore after saying "fuck it" and just ran past everything, with liberal use of the DTS, throwing knives, GEP gun with zero proficiency, and LAMs sprinkled everywhere. Didn't go out of my way of achieving anything. I didn't feel like it was an accomplishment, but that's because challenge in normal means "you're going to die, stay away" in Hardcore, so a lot of the optional things remained undone, unless I could cheese it (like shooting greasels in the water with tranqs and running away).

Paris (derelict building) - the train station houses only 2 soldiers although the dialogue with Defoe references 3.

Paris (derelict building) - In building 14's porch, the datacube is floating beside the metal crate.
http://imgur.com/a/pvdrD

Vandenberg tunnels - since the companion cube just lets doors open right through it, the high security shortcut door should open towards the hallway and not towards the storage area - it just looks better.
http://imgur.com/a/W6Xlh

Vandenberg tunnels - during the companion cube section, I noticed there were 2 companion cubes I could bring to the end. Didn't find a use to the second one, though. Is it just a second chance?

Gas station - one of the tanker's openings is wooden, the other is metallic.
http://imgur.com/a/nzxav

Sub base (above water level) - You can crawl under Jock's heli, making the conversation not trigger. Fixed after crawling out of there.

Sub base (underwater) - flipped texture on one of the sides of the door in the sunken hallway with the broken pipe. It's between the greasel containment and the karkian/greasel sunken room.
http://imgur.com/a/luqyl

Area 51 - Jock starts exploding before his dialogue ends, or even close to ending, making him say "I've got a bo--" after he's already midway (~5 seconds) through exploding.
http://imgur.com/a/W7n27

General:
Can full-mantle while holding a body.

According to the aug description (and also gameplay wise), ADS should be automatic. Maybe clarify that you won't be able to pick up mines after installation, as was with Synthetic Heart energy usage?

GEP's ATGM mode is buggy with sprites.
http://imgur.com/a/gbKBM
Notice how it duplicates them, and occludes the original one with the display. The closer you get the more accurate the sprite location is, and the farther you go the sprite is moved to the upper left.

False reports from last time:
Radar Invisibility + Cloak/Thermoptic camo fools even NPCs with augmented vision. The problem is that once they're alerted, they home in on you, making the camo useless once you've been discovered by one NPC that you may have already killed and didn't sound the alarm, and only shouted to someone in the other room. I may sound bitter, but the gas station in Hardcore is filled with commandos, and it's just infuriating.
Also, even if you kill one of them in one hit in the presence of others, they immediately know your location. It made me so angry that instead of being a ghost killer I just timed the kill of one specific guard, planted LAMs around his spot, started a shootout and lured the commandos to the bottleneck. Pretty sure it's not as intended but fuck it, they have ghost detectors.
Last edited by Made in China on Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.