GMDXv9.0 Release

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Re: GMDXv9.0 Announced

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Made in China wrote:I have no idea what the Invisible War lore was, as I see Deus Ex as one contained game. That's how it was built at the time, anyhow.
As do I. It's just that Invisible War stands as a further look into the devs intentions with the grays.
And I feel like it's arcadey, as they do not do anything with it - especially in Area 51. They can levitate and throw JC off a ledge, but instead they just float him around. It doesn't connect, it mainly wastes time, and it doesn't really fit in with the lore.
They are randomized to throw you into walls or just drop you. Getting thrown into walls hurts you.

I haven't even tested it myself yet (in a playthrough), just what was needed to get it working. But yeah, I guess I'll comment it out. From a gameplay POV I suspect I'll enjoy it, but from a lore and realism one it is damaging, and I implemented it despite the fact (the whole time I was coding and testing it I was thinking "I shouldn't be doing this"). That's why I hid it in hardcore rather than making it available for all game modes. That's where any gameplay faggotry goes that is even slightly questionable in the context of the original design, as 95% of players won't even touch the mode. But that doesn't mean these questionable features shouldn't retain notable degree of authenticity. They should be questionable at most, not notably out of place.
SlySpy
UNATCO

Post by SlySpy »

This may come off as tangental to current discussion, but I'd like to ask; is it at all possible to adjust noise levels for each different types of surface the player walks/runs/lands on? I think it would be good if, like the Thief games, surface type did come into account, with something like metal being loudest, and maybe carpet being the most silent, with many other values in between for other surfaces. It doesn't need to be exactly like Thief, as in those games, certain surfaces like marble flooring were ridiculously loud, but implementing some sort of realistic surface based noise level would add some more depth into the stealth mechanics, while also bringing Deus Ex's stealth mechanics a little bit closer to the game said mechanics were based upon.

This could also add the simulation aspect to certain instances, wherein you could possibly account for landing on the quietest surface if you're standing on top of a crate or something.

Side question, what of the viability of reducing player noise level if ambient noise overpowers it? For instance, in a room with loud machinery, you may be able to get away with being a bit louder, if said loud machinery masks your own noise.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Footsteps are softer or louder based on surface. And indeed metal is loudest, carpet is the softest.

Not sure about ambient noise masking footsteps, would probably need the sound device to pass on a variable to grab.
CorinthMaxwell
NSF

Post by CorinthMaxwell »

Cybernetic pig wrote:
Made in China wrote:I have no idea what the Invisible War lore was, as I see Deus Ex as one contained game. That's how it was built at the time, anyhow.
As do I. It's just that Invisible War stands as a further look into the devs intentions with the grays.
Having played IW as much as I did, I suppose I know exactly as much as anyone else about them, at least in the post-Collapse world. The Grays were meant to be super-augmented shock troopers (e.g., "glass cannon" cannon fodder) for MJ12 (unlike the Greasels and Karkians, which were more or less incapable of being trained). It was revealed in IW that they actually had more (albeit limited) intelligence than the original DX story/lore let on......in fact, it was somewhat comparable to human-level intellect, which is why JC decided to "free" them and give them shelter in his Antarctica sanctuary. Although even in the post-Collapse world, people (particularly those few people who actually knew of their existence) still only saw them as living bio-weapons, and considered their value beyond that factor alone to be worth less than nothing. This is made clear when the Omar have you accessing the autopsy report of a Gray's corpse early in the game, so that they can incorporate its scientific enhancements into their own technology. A similar example occurs when the Templars capture one of the Grays in Antarctica, possibly to research its genetic makeup & offensive/defensive capabilities so that they can improve the combat effectiveness of their power armor tech.

Of course, that's just how I saw/interpreted things. <_<
Robin: "Holy flying snotburgers, Batman!"
Batman: o_0 O_0 o.0 O.0
Kelkos
UNATCO

Post by Kelkos »

Listen CyberP, how about the grays have another attack like the vortigaunts in half life. Spawn some green electricity around them and after a specific attack animation direct those beams towards the player

Here's what a vortigaunt looks like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDcwTcm3RwY

skip to 0:35 and watch the vortigaunt attack
Being a soldier isn't just following orders, it's following those orders in the service of a higher cause. When that cause is betrayed, we're not soldiers anymore, just pieces on a chess board dying for the wrong reason.
SlySpy
UNATCO

Post by SlySpy »

Cybernetic pig wrote:Footsteps are softer or louder based on surface. And indeed metal is loudest, carpet is the softest.
I see. Was this always in the game, or was it added in by GMDX? Also, is this taken into account with landing from a certain height?
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Was always in the game, but landing from height produced no difference. GMDX added landing from height producing different 'landed' sounds as well as variable volume based on surface and velocity when landing.
Last edited by Cybernetic pig on Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Kelkos wrote:Listen CyberP, how about the grays have another attack like the vortigaunts in half life. Spawn some green electricity around them and after a specific attack animation direct those beams towards the player

Here's what a vortigaunt looks like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDcwTcm3RwY

skip to 0:35 and watch the vortigaunt attack
Deus Ex's combat revolves around hittrace/hitscan ranged attacks too much. You'll notice I've tried to mix things up: enemies with their grenade usage, various new types of melee, sometimes the occasional MJ12 will have a crossbow instead of assault gun, a new bot type that uses rockets and so on.

Vanilla was like 75% of attacks being ranged hittrace. Now it's probably about 60%. I'd like to go lower than that if I can but I don't want to change the core dynamics.

The attack you suggested was hittrace attack, by the way, yet one also has to look at things in the context of its particular class as well as the overarching experience. this class in particular is the gray, which are entirely unable to do anything to you at range, and if they can't reach/find a path to you they just run around in circles. A (weak) hittrace attack for this scenario in particular may be worthwhile.
Kelkos
UNATCO

Post by Kelkos »

Ok, how about a new class. NSF Bio Thug. He has 250 health on all body parts. Hehe . Also he is immune to poisonous gas, tranquilizer darts, pepper spray etc. He is a new NSF class. He will be carrying assault rifles and assault shotguns
Attachments
nsfbIO1.JPG
Being a soldier isn't just following orders, it's following those orders in the service of a higher cause. When that cause is betrayed, we're not soldiers anymore, just pieces on a chess board dying for the wrong reason.
CorinthMaxwell
NSF

Post by CorinthMaxwell »

Ummm......no. The NSF are anti-augmentation (although thankfully, not to the level of extremism), so there's no reason they would have anyone (or anything) in their ranks similar to what could only be described as a "super-soldier prototype". <_<
Robin: "Holy flying snotburgers, Batman!"
Batman: o_0 O_0 o.0 O.0
Made in China
MJ12

Post by Made in China »

Speaking of the NSF MP model, are there any plans to re-enable multiplayer in GMDX? There are no active Deus Ex MP servers as far as I can tell (although you can create one with ease), and enabling GMDX features in multiplayer will boost the vanilla MP to infinity. For example, DXMP didn't have any inventory management because doing so in vanilla would freeze time, but in GMDX you already have real-time inventory, so there are no problems there. You could also buy skills from the regular HUD rather than doing so from a Counter-Strike style menu.

And I know the multiplayer in Deus Ex was never a main feature, but the netcode is already there - so why not make it something worthwhile?

P.S. The NSF aren't anti-augs per-se, but augmentations (mechanical, nanotech or physio-pharmaceutical) were limited to government and MJ12 use in Deus Ex. This isn't HR or MD where every second person you meet is an aug.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

It is tempting, but I've always ignored it because MP is not what the Immersive Sim is about. Still, it like Deus Ex itself does have further potential, but unfortunately I don't know anything about network programming. Maybe one day.

I took a look at the mp_Jumpsuit. The running animation is just as jarring as the vanilla one, if not more, unfortunately. The strides are too exaggerated.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

dbl
Last edited by Cybernetic pig on Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

I asked one of GMDX's modelers to write up a guide on the import process for another modeler. I'm making it public because I've never seen anything simplified on the topic, along with it having a reputation for being a "nightmarish process":
Its better to read http://www.offtopicproductions.com/tack ... odels.html to fully understand the whole process but here the basics

Preparations

AngrealHeal.3ds is an example name.

Models must be made up of a single 3D Studio object, which lives within the 256x256x256 coordinate space centered on the origin. (Setting the grid extents to –128..128 and turning on the grid is helpful here.) The model itself should be centered on the origin (0,0,0) because of how Unreal specifies the collision cylinders used to determine when objects are touching.

There is a limit of 9 textures on a single model, they should be square and multitude of 2 (128, 256 etc)
Limit is 512, you can use bigger textures, but they will be compressed to 512 (its a problem if you want to mask your texture)

Before saving model in 3ds format you should mirror it from left to right.

The conversion tool will only convert objects with sequence numbers in their names (Obj01, Obj02, ...). The object name itself is meaningless; it’s the sequence numbers that count. They must begin at 01 (even if that’s the only frame!) and you can’t have any “holes” in the sequence. (Under 3D Studio 4, it was easiest to use the “Snapshot” option; I’m not sure how 3DS MAX handles this.)

You’ll need a copy of the 3ds2de.exe conversion program, plus some way (Photoshop, Debabylizer, etc.) of converting files to PCX format.
http://www.offtopicproductions.com/tack ... 3ds2de.zip

The conversion program expects an Deus Ex-like directory structure to exist before it will run. Specifically, you need:
1. a main Deus Ex directory (mine is c:\DeusEx), below which is a

2. project-specific directory (for example, c:\DeusEx\MyPackage), below which are

3. two directories, Models and Classes (e.g. c:\DeusEx\MyPackage\Models and c:\DeusEx\MyPackage\Classes)

This directory tree is what Deus Ex itself expects, so it may already be set up. If it isn’t, you’ll have to make it yourself before doing any conversions.

Converting

Place AngrealHeal.3ds and 3ds2de.exe in \MyPackage\

Create 3ds2de shortcut.

Open shortcut properties and after at the end of Target property add AngrealHeal.3ds

Doubleclick.

If everything went well, AngrealHeal files appeared in models and script folders. If not, there was a mistake so doublecheck everything. If you cant find error then read proper instructions and do it through console, so you can read error message.

Textures

First, you need 8-bit PCX versions of all of the textures that you used in the model – use Photoshop, etc.

You then need to examine the .uc file in a text editor that can handle straight ASCII text – Notepad is fine. Look for the lines that begin with #exec TEXTURE IMPORT and note that each such line ends with a material name after a pair of slashes:

#exec TEXTURE IMPORT NAME=JSpider1 FILE=MODELS\Spider1.PCX GROUP=Skins // SpiderSkin

Notice the reference to a Spider1.PCX file. Both Deus Ex and MeshViewer will need this file to properly display your model. It corresponds to whatever file you used in the given material, SpiderSkin. You need to have this file name match the name of the material’s 8-bit PCX file, renaming your PCX file to correspond with the name in the .uc file.

Using the above example, say that the SpiderSkin material was made with a SpiderSkin.TGA texture map. You’d convert that TGA file to and 8-bit SpiderSkin.PCX file. You could then either rename that file to Spider1.PCX (because that’s what the script is expecting)*

*You can also change names in script file, but that method is much more error-prone.

Make a package! http://www.offtopicproductions.com/tack ... kages.html
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

@Kelkos: are you aware you can make add-ons for GMDX and upload them to moddb?

http://www.moddb.com/mods/gmdx/addons

You could for example take one of GMDX's maps, make edits to it, then upload it to moddb.
I hope to see people making custom content for GMDX.