GMDXv9.0 Release

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Re: GMDXv9.0 Announced

Post by Cybernetic pig »

1. Can you replace all the GM_Jumpsuit meshes with mp_jumpsuit? It has a new running animation and more of a slim and sleeker design for NSF and UNATCO troops.
Nice, I'll have to check that out.
2.Can you use my FleshFragment class. Head,Guts,legs and even forearms can be spawned if and enemy is gibbed

3.I have many models and classes for GMDX. Hand dryers,lanterns,ashtrays,etc. You can use them as decoration
The reason I declined Skrillax's offer of "his" models was because they weren't his models, but 2027's. It sounds awfully like you're doing the same, as each and every one of those objects are also in 2027. That could just be coincidence of course but it seems not, as the flamethrower effect is 2027s. Furthermore Skrillax was asking about coding help with "his" fleshFragments, you joined around the time he stopped posting, and your English is also ever so slightly flawed as his was too.

You're his alt.

Worry not though, as some of the things you're trying to peddle into the mod as your own are actually already in v9.0, and they will be credited to the source, not you. Although I'm not sure exactly what is 2027s and what they themselves took from elsewhere (like the Counterstrike weapons) but there you go.

Stop being disingenuous and juvenile and instead be a part of the community. You want help with your flesh fragments and such in the other thread, start by coming clean. then I'll help you.
Kelkos
UNATCO

Post by Kelkos »

If you know that these decos are form 2027, why not use them. It will add some more immersion and visual quality to GMDX.

I always wondered why they made that mp_jumpsuit mesh when they could've used the original gm_jumpsuit
Being a soldier isn't just following orders, it's following those orders in the service of a higher cause. When that cause is betrayed, we're not soldiers anymore, just pieces on a chess board dying for the wrong reason.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Because there needs to be consistency of art style and art quality. Plus I don't want to go crazy adding thousands of things from other mods. I've played a mod like that before and it broke my immersion more than adding to it. Currently GMDX falls in line with what is acceptable and subtle, and I want it to stay that way.

Anyhow, I'll look into the jumpsuit. I hope it's viable as better running anims are desperately needed.
Kelkos
UNATCO

Post by Kelkos »

You animated something sometime right. A walk anim and a banana peel fall anim

The picture shows mp_jumpsuit on the left and GM_jumpsuit on the right
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Last edited by Kelkos on Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Being a soldier isn't just following orders, it's following those orders in the service of a higher cause. When that cause is betrayed, we're not soldiers anymore, just pieces on a chess board dying for the wrong reason.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Is mp_jumpsuit what 2027 used too? Because I found that running animation to be a bit odd also. Still, I'm going to give it a try.
Kelkos wrote:You animated something sometime right. A walk anim and a banana peel fall anim
Not me. That was a AAA game dev (I won't disclose who or what studio) who played GMDX, was impressed and wanted to contribute by using modern animation methods. Sadly, the community didn't get behind the idea of updated anims, probably because a large chunk haven't even played GMDX and were riding the Revision hype, and it fell through.
Last edited by Cybernetic pig on Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kelkos
UNATCO

Post by Kelkos »

You like revision?
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

It's a mixed bag in a multitude of ways.
Kelkos
UNATCO

Post by Kelkos »

I have something to tell you. The changes you made in v9.0 i think you should uninclude some of them in the update

-NPC Head decapitation is disabled as was originally intended (because it's incomplete).
I personally think that the head decapitation was a great addition and it shouldn't be removed

-Removed "drops of blood on your shades" effect.
I was an excellent effect considering the gore. I think you shouldn't remove it

These were the only new effects that make the game look good. You should not remove them considering the artistic advancements this game has made
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Head decap was incomplete, and while in theory can be completed it's an insane heap of work for artists to undertake.

Blood on shades effect was too cartoony and reminds people of modern shooters. They associate it with a very bad thing (regen health in singleplayer shooters), it's ingrained in their minds as a bad thing. Sure Deus Ex's world is cartoony to some extent in the visual experience but the underlying themes, design, etc are mature. Anyhow, I will restore it if someone makes a more realistic-looking, less cartoony effect.
Kelkos
UNATCO

Post by Kelkos »

Can I be of any help to GMDX?
Made in China
MJ12

Post by Made in China »

Personally, I think that the blood drops on the screen were good, but needed more work. As it is they fill too much of the screen, instead of having a couple of blood spurts drawn on it, or maybe splatter. The effects need to be randomized each time and not be extremely obtrusive to gameplay as they are currently.
Without any alterations, I prefer playing without them.

Regarding the decapitations, even when it's incomplete, it's better than nothing. You don't see many games like Metal Gear Revenegance for slicing mechanics to become a standard anyhow.

I support removing the Grays' telekinetic attack. It makes the game too arcadey.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Kelkos wrote:Can I be of any help to GMDX?
Testing at the bare minimum. You've revealed your unpredictable, emotionally-reactive and dishonest nature though, not sure I'd want to work with somebody like that, but I do appreciate the offer nonetheless.

If you want to test, let me know. It helps in a big way.
madeinChina wrote:The effects need to be randomized each time.
They were. Still, they weren't very good, and are now removed (should have been removed in the first v9.0 beta, if I recall).
Made in China
MJ12

Post by Made in China »

The effects are indeed gone from the v9 beta. I didn't comment on them mainly because I thought they were tied with the decapitations, and because I thought the game was better off without them.
What do they require to work? Is the blood splatter just a bitmap that gains alpha with time, or is each effect a new animation? If it's the former, I think there's a lot of variety with those sort of things online that can be adapted a proper bitmap, but if it's that simple I'm guessing something's amiss or it's the other option.

Speaking of which, I remember a long time ago HDTP used a cloud-based (=fans' computers) rendering farm to convert from regular (skeletal?) animations to Deus Ex (vertex based?) animations. If an animator is found, the conversion can be done by the fans so the artist can focus solely on producing new animations and not with the conversion nonsense.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Cybernetic pig wrote: If you want to test, let me know. It helps in a big way.
Actually, forget it. You'll probably try and pawn the mod as your own, and if caught say it's shit 0/10 material anyway.

You're free to wait, download and enjoy the mod once it is released, naturally. I can't stop you there.
MadeInChina wrote:Speaking of which, I remember a long time ago HDTP used a cloud-based (=fans' computers) rendering farm to convert from regular (skeletal?) animations to Deus Ex (vertex based?) animations. If an animator is found, the conversion can be done by the fans so the artist can focus solely on producing new animations and not with the conversion nonsense.
That would be handy.

By the way another modeler is on board. I've directed him to fix up some HDTP assets to get him started. Still no animator though.
I support removing the Grays' telekinetic attack. It makes the game too arcadey.
Oh right, you probably were the first to test it, as you played hardcore. I don't think it's too arcadey, they already shoot radiation and are telepathic in Invisible War, it just removes the subtlety in the lore that leaves the player questioning whether they are actually aliens (or alien DNA-spliced cage-bred transgenics rather) or not (No alien DNA involved), as psychic attacks point more strongly in one direction, that direction being something that may not have been what the devs intended.
I don't recall how Invisible War built upon the Gray's backstory or the details as to why they have telepathy.
Made in China
MJ12

Post by Made in China »

I have no idea what the Invisible War lore was, as I see Deus Ex as one contained game. That's how it was built at the time, anyhow.
I'm probably preaching to the choir about this one, but the Grays aren't really aliens - they're either a bovine-alien transgenic or just a regular transgenic that's immune to and can exert radiation. Not only that, it's explicitly stated that due to have been grown in a non-alien environment, they lack any alien-specific powers (aside from the physiological immunity to radiation, and even that's a maybe). Seeing them practicing tactics with one of them floating you and the others wailing on you with radiation is pretty out of place.

And I feel like it's arcadey, as they do not do anything with it - especially in Area 51. They can levitate and throw JC off a ledge, but instead they just float him around. It doesn't connect, it mainly wastes time, and it doesn't really fit in with the lore.

Also, I hate being immobilized for no reason. The levitation just stops all the momentum you had, even if you were running at top speed, and it just feels off.