I think I finally figured it out! (Deus Ex 3 Theory)

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Zeitgeist
UNATCO

Post by Zeitgeist »

Sidra wrote:After the flop of DX2, I don't really see them using something like the Omar as a main story device.
It would be ridiculous to forget about DX2.
Master_Kale
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by Master_Kale »

Tonnochi wrote:It would be ridiculous to forget about DX2.
Not if DX3 is a prequel, then they'd have no reason to even mention DXIW :P
Sidra
NSF

Post by Sidra »

Tonnochi wrote:
Sidra wrote:After the flop of DX2, I don't really see them using something like the Omar as a main story device.
No it wouldn't. DX2 flopped and the majority of the fanbase hated it, including its story. You really think they're going to go back to that? I hate to predict, but I highly doubt it.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

It would be ridiculous to make a sequel that ignored Invisible War, though. To go all "oh no wait, ignore that. THIS is what really happened." I mean come on... :P
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Sidra
NSF

Post by Sidra »

That's if it's a sequel, which judging by most of IW's endings, isn't possible (unless they tweaked what happened, like Deus Ex 2 did to the original). Furthermore, I'm not saying that they should ignore all of IW (if it's a sequel), I just doubt they're going to take the Omar and make that the main point of the story, considering that would be retarded and that it would alienate tons of the fanbase.

And personally, I'd be fine if they denoted DX2 as noncannonical. It should be, frankly.
ZylonBane wrote:
Sidra wrote:The ballot box thing suggested that the game was in 2027, or something important happened then (from the teaser).
Coincidence is not irony.
I never said it was. I just pointing out why he thought it was ironic.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Sidra wrote:That's if it's a sequel, which judging by most of IW's endings, isn't possible
Sure it's possible, they could just choose to build on the Templar or the Illuminati ending. Or even the Helios ending, if something goes wrong or if they decide there'll be humans who are somehow immune to Helios' nanites or something like that. Hell, even the Omar ending could work with some imagination, but I think the Illuminati ending (essentially a status quo) would make for the most DX-like experience.
And personally, I'd be fine if they denoted DX2 as noncannonical. It should be, frankly.
I doubt that's what they're planning.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

I'm still holding out for a semi-prequel that takes place in between DX1 and 2. Before DX1 you don't get nanoaugs (unless DX3 is about Paul), and after IW you.... have IW to deal with. In between the two is really the perfect way to go, as far as I see. You get the full nanoaugmentation available, with all the social unrest and drama and gameplay scenario opportunity the Collapse and JCHelios and Illuminati bring.
Phasmatis
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Phasmatis »

If it is a sequal, I think they should go down the Kotor2 route and have a conversion about the events that happened previously.

Trying to combine all the affects of the previous endings seems strange to me. It would take me out of the game if someone mentioned something that happened when it didn't... If that makes sense.
Keeper of the pointy stick of injustice™.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Sidra wrote:
Tonnochi wrote:
No it wouldn't. DX2 flopped and the majority of the fanbase hated it, including its story. You really think they're going to go back to that? I hate to predict, but I highly doubt it.
Sales figures or it didn't happen. And no, they didn't hate it, they called it a dissapointment and said it wasn't as good, not hated it. And from what I gather most people thought the story was the best part about it. It would be silly to ignore it, because it worked so well.