Do you need a lawyer for probate?

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

dagmaparty
Thug

Do you need a lawyer for probate?

Post by dagmaparty »

Dad passed over thanksgiving. Had a will in place. Very simple, everything going to mom. I'm the executor. Is there a form I can fill out and skip the lawyer? Called the courts and they don't even have the form, they just do the filing.
MalfStape
Thug

Re: Do you need a lawyer for probate?

Post by MalfStape »

I never did, it took me a long time to find a good lawyer company that was not afraid to take this case.
AnemKisku
Thug

Post by AnemKisku »

It is not necessary to hire a lawyer to handle probate, but it can be helpful to do so. Probate is the legal process of settling a deceased person's estate. Depending on the estate's complexity and the beneficiaries' willingness and ability to handle the process themselves, hiring a lawyer to assist with probate may be a good idea. A lawyer can help ensure that the probate process is completed correctly and efficiently and can provide valuable guidance and representation if disputes arise. You can contact ucmjdefense.com. There are reliable attorneys.
carmenamos
Mole Person

Post by carmenamos »

The best place to start is to contact your state's department of revenue or department of taxation to determine what forms you need to complete in order to open the probate estate and submit your father's will.
yenfield
Mole Person

Post by yenfield »

Depending on the laws in your state, you might be able to fill out the appropriate forms yourself, however, it is always best to consult with a lawyer to ensure everything is done properly.
CannonPrince
Thug

Post by CannonPrince »

Hey dagmaparty, I'm so sorry for your loss. Probate can definitely be overwhelming, especially during such a difficult time. I recently went through a similar situation with my own family and had to navigate probate without a lawyer. It ended up being a lot more complicated and time-consuming than I anticipated. However, I did have some help from San Antonio Work Injury Lawyers. They were able to guide me through the process and make sure everything was done correctly. I highly recommend giving them a call, even if you're not sure if you need a lawyer. They can help you understand what forms are needed and if there are any other steps you need to take. Best of luck to you and your family during this difficult time.
BostonMills
Thug

Post by BostonMills »

If you're unsure about handling probate on your own, you might consider consulting with an attorney for guidance. They can review your situation, advise you on the necessary steps, and help ensure that everything is done correctly.
DarienKnapp
Mole Person

Post by DarienKnapp »

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. Dealing with probate can be a challenging task during such times. While I'm not a legal expert, I can provide some general information.
Whether you need a lawyer for probate can depend on various factors, including the complexity of the estate, state laws, and your comfort level with legal processes. In simple cases like yours, where there's a clear will and straightforward distribution to the surviving spouse, some people choose to handle probate without a lawyer.
You can also explore resources and information related to probate at https://federal-lawyer.com/whistleblowe ... s/irs-tax/ to better understand the process and make an informed decision.