DX3 will actually be a prequel!

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

fox
X-51

DX3 will actually be a prequel!

Post by fox »

Also: Sheldon Pacotti has been consulted about the story (not sure how much he helped with it though). Time to get excited again, eh?
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/ar ... 6&site=cvg
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

No. It's not. It's time to remain cautiously optimistic.

And there's plenty of reason to. I like the sound of the Leonardo Da Vinci aspect, as it'll probably mesh well with whatever crazy aesthetics those French Canadians are gonna throw at us. I can see it working.

[EDIT] Oh hohoh, hold on. There's no shadow stealth anymore? Did they just give the Thief legacy the finger? Isn't that sort of like removing all platforming from Tomb Raider?

And there's auto-heal? That strikes me as a similar design decision to the single ammo type from IW - it removes a crucial part of the resource management. Resource management was pretty core to the original Deus Ex, even its lockpicking mechanic was based on it.

As for the augs, I'm okay with punching through walls, but the bungee-jump tentacles sound kinda goofy (though admittedly DX had some pretty goofy augs too - spy drone, anyone?). Does that mean half the maps will start you out on top of skyscrapers just so people who get that aug will have a chance to use it? It seems like a fairly specific ability, a bit similar to the aqualung aug that (together with the swimming skill) found use far to rarely to justify selecting it.

Ah well. We'll see how it turns out.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

I am very skeptical.
Why?
* Tentacle aug (W-T-F)
* Break through wall aug (stealth what?)
* Autoheal (can you say console?)
* "cover-stealth" (what, you run from pillar to pillar and wait for the guard(s) to pass?)

It could turn out great, but until there is more info than this, I am very skeptical (at least I won't be disappointed ;))
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!
m3rc1l3ss
Silhouette

Post by m3rc1l3ss »

Heh, I think the tentacle aug is kind of cool...

But the auto heal would definitely mess up the game.
Hmm, I really wish I had a signature...
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Fulgrymm
UNATCO

Post by Fulgrymm »

My heart sank the moment I saw autoheal. Is that not what every shooter today does? Plus the removal of shadow stealth. Just what kind of game are they trying to make? Deus ex, or a common everyday shooter?
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Trasher
UNATCO

Post by Trasher »

ugh, Auto-Heal? I mean c'mon, who likes auto-heal? Nobody. That's the biggest flop in the FPS games(especially in COD series when 2 came out..).
If they are going to use grenade indicator aswell all hope is gone. We'll get in our hands another copy of CoD series with nano related stuffs.

Maybe I was too harsh but this doesnt look good. I'm still waiting for it to come out though. Despite all that stuff, the screenshots in that magazine look amazing.
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

I'm going to going to ditch Jonas' restrained optimism thing. I'm going to try to assume it will be bad. See, the irrational parts of me are all very hopeful. They're elated for no readily apparent reason. In the interest of balance I need to get the rest of me depressed about it.

Sucks that they apparently didn't learn the lessons they claim to have learned, on the other hand I've always through a prequel might be nice. Not that it's a surprise that it's a prequel, simons did his analysis thing after all.

I think the biggest risk of a prequel is that unlike Deus Ex or Invisible War, it doesn’t just need to feel like a natural progression from something (the real world and Deus Ex respectively) but also to something. Any prequel needs to fit within a preexisting narrative in a way other works simply don’t need to.
Phasmatis
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Phasmatis »

René, one of the developers, has been answering questions in the PC Zone release possible DX3 details thread on the Eidos forums. The only thing he hasn't addressed is Auto-heal, which is quite annoying since that's pretty much the main concern. That could be a sign that they might make a u-turn on it, blind hope and optimism there heh.
Keeper of the pointy stick of injustice™.
Fragbait
NSF

Post by Fragbait »

That is a bit disappointing about the removal of shadow-based stealth, though I guess it'll make the game more palatable for some of my friends who dislike "stealth games." >.<

The auto-heal thingy isn't so bad (I guess >.>), cause I've always played DX with regeneration anyway, just depends how "upgraded" it is.