Fallout 3 upgrade system as much fun as Deus Ex

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

r00tb33r
MJ12

Fallout 3 upgrade system as much fun as Deus Ex

Post by r00tb33r »

I'm still downloading Fallout 3, but from the gameplay videos it felt like they didn't dumb down the point systems, which just like in previous Fallout games and Deus Ex can yield characters with completely different traits depending on your gameplay style.
What are the thoughts?
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

No, they are very different. Fallout 3 relies on Perks for character creation, the stats ie. Special however that were used in Fallout 1 and 2 are very much like Deus Ex skills system minus the DEX, STR, INT attributes- that I felt were lacking in Deus Ex.

I'm downloading the game too, at 50% right now. I'm looking forward to this as I'm going into the game with the assumption its going to suck balls- so If I'm wrong I may actually be happy.

IF I'm right however.. well that's another story.

From what I've heard though the way they designed the combat it can be very gimped, see Fatman for example, one guy obtained it at Level 3, and basically causes 700 Damage to anything that moves.. or basically FUCKS anything that moves :D sounds very gameplay damaging to me and the NMA boys may have been right about that.

Level Scaling is still in the game, Todd Howard has already said it was though he claims it was "Fixed".. but from what I understand all it does is sets hard level caps based on when you first encountered them- so theoretically you could finish the game at level 1. I will be giving that a thrashing since it was one thing I hated about Oblivion that I never forgave.

Some reviewers have mentioned that the Melee system is gimped- which I'm worried about as in previous fallouts I have often played stealthy unarmed/armed.

I'll write up a review of the game on my initial thoughts once I've played the game much like I did with spore.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

Think they'll send us a cake?
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Will they balls.

I mean where would they send it?
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

Denmark?
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Would I then be expected to cut it out and post the pieces to Canada, England, Australia, various parts of the US, Chile, Germany, and probably a few other places I don't recall off-hand?

That could be expensive.

And gross.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Phasmatis
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Phasmatis »

Yes you would be expected to do that.

*is hopefully getting fallout3 tomorrow* You won't see me for weeks! :D
Keeper of the pointy stick of injustice™.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I'll have to finish Far Cry 2 first. Or at least play it until the contstantly respawning enemy guard posts piss me off to such a degree that I quit the game in disgust.

Here's hoping for a patch for that, or possibly a mod.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Phasmatis
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Phasmatis »

Yeah I've seen a few people complain about the respawn rates in FC2.
Keeper of the pointy stick of injustice™.
AgentSmithereens
Silhouette

Post by AgentSmithereens »

Nah, by far the most annoying thing in FC2 is when you climb up the hillsides to find a really good sniping position or just to scout the area, and you encounter an invisible wall preventing you from climbing any higher.
That, and when you pass out in the outer desert areas for no reason (not from malaria).
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

From the blistering heat?
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
AgentSmithereens
Silhouette

Post by AgentSmithereens »

I don't know, that could be it. I'll see if it happens at night or while it raining. Another idea is that it's just to stop you accessing the end of the map, a pretty interesting way to handle it I must admit.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Just another way to implement the typical endless sea that drowns you if you go too far.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
r00tb33r
MJ12

Post by r00tb33r »

Mr_Cyberpunk wrote:No, they are very different. Fallout 3 relies on Perks for character creation, the stats ie. Special however that were used in Fallout 1 and 2 are very much like Deus Ex skills system minus the DEX, STR, INT attributes- that I felt were lacking in Deus Ex.

I'm downloading the game too, at 50% right now. I'm looking forward to this as I'm going into the game with the assumption its going to suck balls- so If I'm wrong I may actually be happy.

IF I'm right however.. well that's another story.

From what I've heard though the way they designed the combat it can be very gimped, see Fatman for example, one guy obtained it at Level 3, and basically causes 700 Damage to anything that moves.. or basically FUCKS anything that moves :D sounds very gameplay damaging to me and the NMA boys may have been right about that.

Level Scaling is still in the game, Todd Howard has already said it was though he claims it was "Fixed".. but from what I understand all it does is sets hard level caps based on when you first encountered them- so theoretically you could finish the game at level 1. I will be giving that a thrashing since it was one thing I hated about Oblivion that I never forgave.

Some reviewers have mentioned that the Melee system is gimped- which I'm worried about as in previous fallouts I have often played stealthy unarmed/armed.

I'll write up a review of the game on my initial thoughts once I've played the game much like I did with spore.
The download has long finished but I just couldn't resist decompressing and installing it... Even though I have a diff eq exam tomorrows... How can you ignore this thing?