Deus Ex : Source

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Trasher
UNATCO

Deus Ex : Source

Post by Trasher »

As the title says.. there's a new Deus Ex port in progress. This time, source engine :)

Not much of detail about it but take a look at it:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/deus-ex-sourc ... dification

Thought I'd let people know since there isnt a topic about it yet
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: Deus Ex : Source

Post by Jonas »

Ambitious.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

I wonder if the HUD in that screenshot is actually implemented via VGUI with Source, or if it's just shopped. The level itself looks like it could be running in DX, only the crowbar looks remotely out of ordinary.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Hahah yes I was wondering the same, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Could be a photoshop job, or just using the same blurry blocky icons.

That crowbar is hilarious. Clearly Jaime Reyes gave it back to him, after JC had dropped it in a previous game.

Impressive, but I'm skeptical of the DX->Source projects since I believe there's been a couple attempts already. Best of luck to this modder though, we still need a new DX engine.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Looks like a semi-average (at best) mapper trying to remake the whole game. The HUD is most likely a photoshop job, I mean, there isn't even a skybox in that map. If anyone was serious about something like this I'd imagine they'd try contacting HDTP and New Vision to get more up to date art to save creating their own.
AgentSmithereens
Silhouette

Post by AgentSmithereens »

On the picture it says it's a 'concept hud' so I'm guessing that means it's photoshopped on.
m3rc1l3ss
Silhouette

Post by m3rc1l3ss »

It looks like just a HL2 mod, Those wood textures I recognize from ravenholm. With a bit of time I bet I could find where each and every one of those textures is from.
Hmm, I really wish I had a signature...
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Well of course, it's just a very incomplete map run in HL2 with a HUD photo-shopped on top. Nothing there's custom.
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Christ, you guys are a bunch of elitist assholes. *insert confusing Mr.CP smiley here*

I mean, as far as I can tell, level-wise, they're just trying to rebuild the levels using the source engine, using the textures currently available to the source engine editor (hammer?). And that's a concept shot of the liberty docks in progress.

And there's nothing wrong with that.

Making the levels is what's gonna be the most time consuming aspect. The HUD'll be the next step (again, it's a concept shot, so glueing an SShotted hud over the top is fine), and then the core code (which'll be suprisingly easy, I suspect: the interface is the tricky shit).

As long as the levels are built and the textures are assigned, replacing said textures with custom 'better' ones is relatively easy, but I'd rather have source levels with source textures than no levels and nice new DX-ified textures.

Ok, admittedly I also think that mod is going to die horribly, very very quickly, but that's beside the point: if you're going to criticise, at least use reasonable criteria. :roll:
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

All true. I think we're being critical because it's a huge undertaking, and because very little status is posted (other than yes, the level is in "a brick box"). What's going on isn't well explained, so the criticism is that what we're seeing is HL2 with a tiny bit of Liberty Island's dock recreated in a simple way with DX UI stuff photoshopped on. I think that's fair, especially since we didn't realize that all at first.

There is a "me and my team", so the mod might work out well. Everyone is very skeptical because of the difficulty, the size of the task, and the unknown or little current progress. People are dismissive because the modder is taking on something huge, and we assume a lot of work went into the progress shown there: one small area, from one map, incomplete, and only the mapping was shown (not any other DX conversion).

The screenshot looks awesome, and it's a cool and fun project to start up.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

And frankly, when we're sitting on some of the most ambitious and fan-fucking-tastic mods in existence, we're allowed a bit of elitism.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

I prefer the DX:R, because I prefer the UT engine over Source. But still, interesting. Will definitely check it out when something is released (assuming someone would let me know that there was something released).
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!
m3rc1l3ss
Silhouette

Post by m3rc1l3ss »

Personally if I were doing a project I would wait until there is something good to show before releasing any images. I would be very happy to be wrong but I find it hard to have confidence in a project that has a partial map and a photoshoped overlay as the only image.

It is intriguing enough however that I am going to follow it, I am just curious as to how they are going to release next year. (Just look at where Black Mesa is now)
Hmm, I really wish I had a signature...
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Jonas wrote:And frankly, when we're sitting on some of the most ambitious and fan-fucking-tastic mods in existence, we're allowed a bit of elitism.
ONLY WHEN YOU'VE RELEASED THEM JONAS! :P
Christ, you guys are a bunch of elitist assholes. *insert confusing Mr.CP smiley here*
I agree with you DDL. But was the reference to me really necessary :P.

But yeah its possibly a complete waste of time when he needs to realize that all of the models, textures ect ect have all been upgraded and ready for porting to a superior engine already.. he should have contacted the teams first and asked for help. Eventually though we may need to consider source for the sake of future proofing the hardwork we've done over the years- because with Epic's direction with Unreal Technology things aren't looking very bright for them. (blame that on their high ups being total idiots thinking that GOW is the best thing since sliced bread.)