Revision Demo 1.2 Release

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: Revision Demo 1.2 Release

Post by Jonas »

I can sympathize with a fondness for bad sci-fi, but The Day After Tomorrow just was neither bad enough or sci-fi enough to qualify IMO. It was bad enough that I didn't enjoy it, it was bad enough that in fact I rather disliked it, but it wasn't bad enough that it was actually awesome, or that it had that certain charm.

Now, The Ice Pirates on the other hand...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087451/
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

I have not thought about that movie in years, thank you for reminding me. The name alone brought a smile to my face.
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

Jonas wrote:Waterworld was fucking awesome, though I admit my opinion of the film may be coloured by the fact I first saw it when I was about 8, and it inspired many a great game at the playground. The Day After Tomorrow had good effects, but then that goes for many other films the plots of which make sense.
8 you say. That's roughly the same age I was when I saw it as well. And I had a similar experience, although I wasn't much for playgrounds, so I recreated the "boat" in my dorm room.

The Day After Tomorrow was good looking and had an interesting plot, but it was way too unrealistic.
Producer and Quality Assurance Manager for Deus Ex: Revision.
m3rc1l3ss
Silhouette

Post by m3rc1l3ss »

The worst Sci-fi I have ever seen would have to be The Star Wars Holiday Special.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0193524/
Though If you want to watch it, it is a torrent only acquisition, as Lucas hates the thing and it will never be released.
Hmm, I really wish I had a signature...
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

bjorn98009_91 wrote:The Day After Tomorrow was good looking and had an interesting plot, but it was way too unrealistic.
I'm always interested in what is way too unrealistic. Part of the reason I'm interested is that that point is the point where you stop suspending disbelief. It is what I have decided to call the "Um, what the fuck?" moment.

Consider Star Wars, we could discuss many things but to me the most absurd thing is the Death Star's exhaust system. Stupid does not begin to describe it. Yet that is not too unrealistic. You don't stop suspending your disbelief. There is, for me at least, no "Um, what the fuck?" moment.

Where in The Day After Tomorrow did it become to unrealistic? What was your "Um, what the fuck?" moment?

Was it when the cold was chasing someone until it was stopped by a closing door?
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

chris the cynic wrote:Was it when the cold was chasing someone until it was stopped by a closing door?
Bingo.

If TDAT had been a film about some sort of angry ice demon running rampage in the streets of NYC, sentient cold would not have been a problem. But it was a film that at least pretended to be a realistic disaster drama about a worst case scenario for climate change, only it went so far beyond the worst case that it repeatedly defied the laws of physics (and common logic). And the cold chasing them through a building was definitely my wtf moment.
bjorn98009_91 wrote:I wasn't much for playgrounds, so I recreated the "boat" in my dorm room.
We had a structure in the playground at the youth club that could be construed as a catamaran. For some reason ours had a couple of machine guns mounted though. We shot down many, many imaginary smokers.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Jonas wrote:If TDAT had been a film about some sort of angry ice demon running rampage in the streets of NYC, sentient cold would not have been a problem.
It may be time for a movie about an ice demon running rampage in the streets of NYC.

There is currently a movie on television about a group of Romanian Satanists calling forth massive tornadoes (literally off the Fujita Scale) to wipe out the Gypsy people. I think I might prefer an ice demon.