How to import music into Deus Ex?

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

RealLeonWoods2045
Thug

How to import music into Deus Ex?

Post by RealLeonWoods2045 »

I have been unable to find a guide on how to import music into Deus Ex. I want to be able to hear perhaps a greater number of songs, rather than a repitition of one or two. I would like to spice its atmosphere with the flavors of its mods (looking at you TNM) and other music. But do I need an mp3 to .ogg converter? And do I need to use the Deus Ex SDK somehow? How do I place certain for ambient, certain for conversation, certain for action? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. NSF needs more songs for the revolution!
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Re: How to import music into Deus Ex?

Post by justanotherfan »

Deus Ex plays an Amiga MOD tracker format, not MP3s or OGGs. I'd suppose it would be possible to add your own MOD files (IIRC Deus Ex uses Impulse Tracker files?), but you probably wouldn't enjoy it much. The newer Unreal engines use OGG since there's no patents. Deus Ex Reborn has the intent of bringing Deus Ex to the UT2004 engine, so that could be modded to use user-supplied tracks.

I don't know how TNM did it. They had some cool tracks that came out as a preview in MP3.

Odd that JC didn't have an iPod. I guess they didn't see that one coming in 1999.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

We use ogg. You haven't been checking the tech forums? Our custom ogg player was causing most of the crashes ;)

It's still being tweaked to get rid of the last crash bugs. Our tracks are easy to replace, they're in DeusEx\TNM\Music\Ogg, overwrite them and your new tracks will be used in-game instead.

As for Deus Ex... it's more involved. And you need a special program for it (ModPlug, I believe).
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Nope, haven't played TNM yet, and I'm staying out of those forums to avoid spoilers. I have it downloaded, but haven't installed yet. I hope any updates get released separately for people that got the 1.4gb DVD ;-)

Modplug was a small and efficient mod playing program, or at least it is now that programs aren't all <1mb. Open source, and it could be integrated into browsers, more advanced mod playing software, etc. It's likely modplug is in DX. I remember it played some mods of mine very differently from my favourite PlayerPro, but PlayerPro wasn't opensource then (it is now), and Modplug was open.
Our custom ogg player was causing most of the crashes ;)
But can it play FLAC?
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

justanotherfan wrote:Nope, haven't played TNM yet, and I'm staying out of those forums to avoid spoilers. I have it downloaded, but haven't installed yet. I hope any updates get released separately for people that got the 1.4gb DVD ;-)
The first patch is already available from our downloads page:
http://thenamelessmod.com/downloads/
But can it play FLAC?
Can our OGG player play FLAC? Take a guess ;)
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

Once upon a time I tried to look into this and actually downloaded Modplug....
It came uncompiled. Like I know what the hell I'm supposed to do with source code? :P
Placebo
MJ12

Post by Placebo »

Sound's fine to replace the radio tracks. Switch the ambient tracks and you have hidden DJ ingame...sound fun and potentialy annoying at one point =D

TNM meets GTA radio :)
ImageEvery morning, I meditate about love and peace... I stop after three seconds.