Thinking of modding...

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

GrammerAngel
Mole Person

Thinking of modding...

Post by GrammerAngel »

Alright, let me be clear, I don't think modding is easy. And if there's any work to be put into it, I will do it. I am also fully aware that I'm running a very strong risk of getting my head lopped off and being branded an over-achieving noob. But no gain without risk, right?

For practice and general knowledge, I was thinking about putting together a small gameplay tweak on par with Shifter, based around the fact that I don't thinkg JC Denton should be able to simply pick up items during his missions. He even mentions that "You should surrender that to UNATCO" when offered the chance to buy items.

So I would propose creating a seperate entity near the armory that takes whatever items were picked up from the previous mission. Advantages and disadvantages would be included, of course. If anyone's interested, I could set my ideas better and give a seperate post at some point.

Sincerely,
GrammerAngel
Hey, cowboy! Do you know the man who has two right hands? The double-right-handed man?
-Polnareff, JoJo's Bazarre Adventure
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: Thinking of modding...

Post by Jonas »

You'll only get your head lopped off if you suggest that members of the OTP team should help you. Otherwise, it sounds like a fun idea - go for it :P
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
GrammerAngel
Mole Person

Post by GrammerAngel »

*puts bag over head*

Alright, tried using Duesexsdk, and got an error stating that Windows Vista does not provide the neccesary programs for that program to function. Any one else (not neccesarily OTP staff) had this problem?
Hey, cowboy! Do you know the man who has two right hands? The double-right-handed man?
-Polnareff, JoJo's Bazarre Adventure
Kee715
Illuminati

Post by Kee715 »

I think DXNathan (aka DarkRealityX) posted a topic regarding that.

I opened the DX SDK twice and it confused me too much for me to use it, especially since I couldst not find an online manual...
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

I played around with the DX Editing tools too (hey, who didn't?) just to notice I totally lack mapmaking skills. And without that not much point making a full mod :(.

Although I had fun making cubicles, and then add triggers and computers and stuff in order to make large groups of enemies fight each other (preferably all armed with LAM's :lol:)
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

GrammerAngel wrote:*puts bag over head*

Alright, tried using Duesexsdk, and got an error stating that Windows Vista does not provide the neccesary programs for that program to function. Any one else (not neccesarily OTP staff) had this problem?
What error did you get? If it's something about a missing .dll, just google the file and download it :)
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Kee715 wrote:I think DXNathan (aka DarkRealityX) posted a topic regarding that.

I opened the DX SDK twice and it confused me too much for me to use it, especially since I couldst not find an online manual...
The SDK should install documentation to deusex\docs. It's not 100% informative, but it's a hell of a lot better than doing it blind.

Also, there's always http://tack.planetdeusex.gamespy.com/ for steve tack's extremely helpful set of topics.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Tack also links to this, which is a great place to start:
http://unreal.gamedesign.net/tutorials/basic/basic.html

Just as long as you realise that the actors he mentions are from Unreal, so you won't be able to find them in the Deux Ex editor. I say this because when I went through that tutorial 9 years ago, I did not realise this, and I was very very confused :P
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine