No Snickering, Games Climax Too Late (KotakU)

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Placebo
MJ12

No Snickering, Games Climax Too Late (KotakU)

Post by Placebo »

http://kotaku.com/5319764/no-snickering ... x-too-late

Hey, reading upon this arcticle, it mentioned something i encountered first with TNM, denouement, well in English at least =))
So...how was the story of TNM constructed, as a classic game story or with classic story progression in mind. I think I know the denouement sequences idea came much later on in this mod. But with this in mind, are you gonna have a playable denouement in your next project or is a posibility?

p.s. I dropped a tip on TNM on that article =))))
ImageEvery morning, I meditate about love and peace... I stop after three seconds.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: No Snickering, Games Climax Too Late (KotakU)

Post by Jonas »

Interesting ideas in there.

But yeah Deus Ex was pretty much designed to be structured completely like Deus Ex: lots of openness and large hub maps in the beginning, then a couple of purely hostile missions (in TNM's case DXI), a return to hub maps, but more limited this time (Paris / post-WC-invasion FC), then an escalation of more dangerous purely hostile missions towards the ending, and then a big set-piece final level where you choose how to end the game. Deus Ex didn't have a boss fight as such, but we added Kylie and DD to serve that function, though thanks to the DX gameplay, all boss characters can always be circumvented somehow. Then we came up with the denouement idea later.

Playable denouement on the next game? We'll probably do it as a scripted cutscene like in TNM, but we'll see how it works out.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Jonas wrote: But yeah Deus Ex was pretty much designed to be structured completely like Deus Ex
:-s

The point at which DX and TNM become utterly indistinguishable in Jonas's mind has been reached!
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

...fuck.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
m3rc1l3ss
Silhouette

Post by m3rc1l3ss »

Wow, finally an article that shows why I am so dissipointed with so many FPS, other than the almost universal lack of story or at least a good one.

Steam seems to be rather good at wrapping up the games, but probably one of the best ending sequences I have seen is the ending of The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of time
Hmm, I really wish I had a signature...
Kee715
Illuminati

Post by Kee715 »

DDL wrote:
Jonas wrote: But yeah Deus Ex was pretty much designed to be structured completely like Deus Ex
:-s

The point at which DX and TNM become utterly indistinguishable in Jonas's mind has been reached!
Jonas wrote:...fuck.