I made a mistake

Dedicated to the discussion of OTP and Deus Ex in general.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Rodrigo Diaz de Vivar
Thug

I made a mistake

Post by Rodrigo Diaz de Vivar »

Actually, it was pretty much totally insignificant - forgot that the anti-toxic stuff aug went in a torso slot and not a sub-dermal slot and accidentally installed it. But the impact was the same, I had made an error of judgement.

This felt good. I'd spent so long playing Deus Ex that it was beginning to feel robotic - I knew exactly what I was going to do, all the way through the game right up until I had to make a decision about which ending to choose. Making a mistake made it feel real again. I also learn something new about a patrol route, so that felt good too.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Re: I made a mistake

Post by bobby 55 »

Good for you. I find deliberately doing something different or making things challenging by limiting weapons or augs makes it fun as well.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Rodrigo Diaz de Vivar
Thug

Apparently I've made another bigger mistake... Jock is now not spawning in his helicopter on top of the NSF generator in the warehouse district. This one has me mystified; did I give him one drink too many when I was trying to get information out of him at the Underworld Bar?
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

I don't make mistakes. I'm just creative.

Mixing things up in Deus Ex extends the game. I do find that it's the same game every time though, except for maybe a cool dialog you can't remember hearing before.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Rodrigo Diaz de Vivar wrote:Apparently I've made another bigger mistake... Jock is now not spawning in his helicopter on top of the NSF generator in the warehouse district. This one has me mystified; did I give him one drink too many when I was trying to get information out of him at the Underworld Bar?
I hope that's not a corrupted file. I used to get the occasional freeze up and crash there IIRC.
~Psychotic~
Silhouette

Post by ~Psychotic~ »

Mistakes are human nature. Think not of them as a hindrance but a learning experience. Also:

> Location: New Zealand

WOO!
When I was younger I knew a motherfucker like you!
Rodrigo Diaz de Vivar
Thug

justanotherfan wrote:I don't make mistakes. I'm just creative.

Mixing things up in Deus Ex extends the game. I do find that it's the same game every time though, except for maybe a cool dialog you can't remember hearing before.
I'm way to obsessive to mix things up too much. The biggest change in this current play through is that I'm killing rather than incapacitating the NSF I encounter. Oh and I'm not taking the assault rifle and I'm only using the sniper rifle for the UNATCO phase of the game.

Mind you, it works for me. This is probably about the 50th or so play through I've begun, and if I finish it will be around the 35th. And in all that time I've never used the plasma rifle (that's the plan for this one; plasma rifle as my assault rifle replacement).
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

:shock: You have played DX 34 times? That's dedication to the max. lol. Have you tried TNM?
If you enjoy DX that much you will probably love that as well.
Rodrigo Diaz de Vivar
Thug

TNM is on my summer 'games I want to play list'. For the time being, Deus Ex and a bunch of other old games are all I'm playing because I know I can play them for 20-30 minutes at a time and not get completely confused.

I like to play new games in long sittings, and at the moment I just don't have time.

I've been playing Deus Ex for about 7 or 8 years, so that figure is about 7 or so started play throughs a year. Not really that many when you think about it. Especially when I went through a phase of about 3-4 years of 'hardcore' gaming where I'd be playing games for about 60-70 hours a week.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Well I can see now how you came to play so many times. It took me 5 years to play DX 16 times
but I've played TNM 9 times in approx 7 months. i go through patches of playing lots then hardly playing at all depending on my mood plus work and social commitments.
~Psychotic~
Silhouette

Post by ~Psychotic~ »

Deus Ex and the Half-Life series.

I can play these games repeatedly, over and over. I've finished one play-through again only to replay it again, right after just beating them.

Oh yes, games can be that fun. And, on that note, I feel like playing Doom again... after I sleep lol.
When I was younger I knew a motherfucker like you!
Xesum
Illuminati

Post by Xesum »

What about HeXeN?
Paul, I know you said no phone messages, but South Street's going up in smoke. We'll have to meet at the subway station.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

~Psychotic~ wrote: Oh yes, games can be that fun.
Even though Half-life isn't :)
But yeah, some games have immense replay value. too bad most new games don't.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Xesum
Illuminati

Post by Xesum »

I could go back to World of WarCrack after not playing it for 3 months and it would be a totally new game.
Paul, I know you said no phone messages, but South Street's going up in smoke. We'll have to meet at the subway station.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Jaedar wrote:Even though Half-life isn't :)
You suck.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine