What are you playing?

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Re: What are you playing?

Post by Cybernetic pig »

gamer0004 wrote:Sounds like Human Revolution to me.
Heh, yeah most of it. Human Revolution lets me jump freely at least and lets me upgrade to spring heels.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Cybernetic pig wrote:
As far as I am concerned, nobody has done third person action RPG "right" yet..
Have you played Dark Souls?
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Jaedar wrote:
Cybernetic pig wrote:
You didn't read all of that post before replying ;)
YeomanTheCastle
UNATCO

Post by YeomanTheCastle »

Haha, one's GOTY 2010 is one's piece of shit, I guess.

Yeah, I fucking loved Alpha Protocol. I didn't really notice any bugs, and I can't remember any off the top of my head. Granted, I bought the game after it was unfucked, but still...
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Cybernetic pig wrote:
Jaedar wrote:
Cybernetic pig wrote:
You didn't read all of that post before replying ;)
The part about it having no story or soundtrack confused me.
odio ergo sum
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

They are both minimalistic. I should have been clearer.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

The soundtrack is definitely very ambient and keeps in the back most of the game.

As for the story, it actually has a lot of it, and huge amounts of background lore. It just doesn't toss it in the players face or dumps 20 essays into a codex whenever you interact with something.
odio ergo sum
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

There is often no soundtrack in most locations, it's such a shame.

What methods of storytelling are used then? I noticed inventory item descriptions, a couple of cinematics and a few NPCs. Not a lot else.
Last edited by Cybernetic pig on Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Cybernetic pig wrote:What methods of storytelling is used then?
Item descriptions and NPC's mainly. But the game never tells you things straight out. You sort of have to puzzle a lot of it out for yourself.
odio ergo sum
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

YeomanTheCastle wrote:Why does everyone hate Alpha Protocol?
Mostly people who haven't even played it AFAINotice.

Funniest example was on the Obsidian Boards some idiot came along and basically said 'Well, I haven't played the game... but you NEED to fix the following things which are broken in your game. Which I know since I read reviews!"
And then of course came with stuff like ample bugs (where?) or how aiming is completely random and you can't hit anything (which oddly, I never experienced either. Is aiming that hard?) and similar stuff like that.
While everyone who has played it I only heard positive stuff from...
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Hassat Hunter wrote: While everyone who has played it I only heard positive stuff from...
I've played it. It just has some really glaring flaws which justify it not being popular. Sure, it has some great things about it too: choice and consequence design in the story... umm, it's not a on rails game? <-that's me struggling, It was terribly designed and bland in my opinion. I tried to like it, I really did. Real-time action games with RPG elements has to be my go-to type of game, I've played many. This is one of few I found bad, but that's my opinion.

All you people probably just loved the flirting with the red head and other attractive ladies that get thrown at you :P

The game, along with Bioware's games have this feeling, I can describe it now, this feeling of a constructed world, not organic: the carelessly placed invisible walls, the prompts. the inability to perform basic actions whenever you please (Jump), the dialogue options always having four choices. Combine this with bland level design, bland soundtrack and an uninteresting story and playing just feels like a chore. The first time I experienced this feeling was with Jade Empire on the Xbox, though it did have it's quirks that I enjoyed.
As a RPG lover, It baffles me how Bioware's games are so popular. If people are hating on Alpha Protocol then they should hate on Bioware too because Alpha Protocol isn't much different from Bioware's action RPG's at all.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Hassat Hunter wrote:While everyone who has played it I only heard positive stuff from...
Okay so I've played through all of the Middle East (obviously), all of Rome, all of Taiwan, and all of Moscow up until the charlie foxtrot that is the Brayko fight.

My problem with it is that there is an amazing amount of things in it that just aren't very well done. It's a stealth game, but not a very good one (the AI is not complex enough to make it interesting and you have too few stealth mechanics at your disposal). It's an action game, but not a very good one (the weapon feel is completely off, the cover system is clunky, the enemy AI is a bit random, and there's just not enough gameplay variation in the level design). It's a roleplaying game, but not a very good one (the character system is too simple and yet somehow unbalanced to the point where you can make it nearly impossible for yourself to progress further if you've created a particular build, despite the simplicity of the system).

The only aspect of Alpha Protocol that is genuinely really well done and exciting is the story and the dialogue - its nonlinearity and its level of detail and polish.

Now, there are plenty of games that are a mish-mash of individually mediocre mechanics but still somehow come together into something really cool and memorable (such as, oh I dunno, Deus Ex), but to me, Alpha Protocol just wasn't one of them. It never managed to be more than the sum of its parts, and the sum of its parts just wasn't good enough.

It's been a while since I played it but I remember it as a... a 6 out of 10. The story and writing elevates it above the median, but the fact that I couldn't complete the game because I'd split my character points between Assault Rifles and Pistols instead of going all-out on either one prevents it from ever getting higher. I really should give it another try some time, with a functioning build.

Also the animations in the whole game are just inexcusably dire :P
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Jonas wrote:the character system is too simpleand yet somehow unbalanced to the point where you can make it nearly impossible for yourself to progress further if you've created a particular build
Not entirely sure this is an entirely bad thing. It is true AP did do it a bit bad though, shotguns and smgs are way too weak.
Jonas wrote: Also the animations in the whole game are just inexcusably dire :P
This is only too true though. Only the punching animation look decent.

I think the reason I liked it so much when playing it was that the writing and CnC elements elevated the game a lot, but the stealth and action elements never really felt like they detracted a lot to me(except for the boss battles. Those were horribad).
Jonas wrote:I'd split my character points between Assault Rifles and Pistols instead of going all-out on either one prevents it from ever getting higher. I really should give it another try some time, with a functioning build.
This sounds viable to me, assuming you didn't splurge too many points on other stuff. Pistols and assault rifles are the better of the weapon types.
odio ergo sum
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Yeah the CnC and the game did make me feel as though I was a spy with the gathering of information, profiles, and such. :)
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Jaedar wrote:This sounds viable to me, assuming you didn't splurge too many points on other stuff. Pistols and assault rifles are the better of the weapon types.
In fact I had gone all-out on Stealth and put some points into Martial Arts and whatever the lockpicking skill was. I must have attempted to beat Brayko upwards of 30-40 times, failing each attempt. I even had other people swing by and try to take him out for me, and none of them could manage it.

If at least they hadn't disabled the stealth takedown for the bosses, I would've had a pretty satisfying successful run against him after a few attempts, but no - that would've been too good game design, presumably.

I mean I'm not completely opposed to the idea of being able to screw yourself over with a character build, fuck knows it's perfectly possible to do that in Conquistador after the latest patch (start with 1 Survival skill plus don't pick any hunters: you're fucked), but at least it should become apparent pretty quickly so you can learn from your mistakes and start over. To have the point of impossibility arrive 90% through the game so I would have to put another 40 hours or so into it for a do-over is just not acceptable game design! :?
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine