What are you playing?

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Jaedar
Illuminati

Re: What are you playing?

Post by Jaedar »

Jonas wrote:To have the point of impossibility arrive 90% through the game so I would have to put another 40 hours or so into it for a do-over is just not acceptable game design! :?
Yeah, that is not very good design.
Jonas wrote:I must have attempted to beat Brayko upwards of 30-40 times, failing each attempt. I even had other people swing by and try to take him out for me, and none of them could manage it.
I find this really weird, because as I remember it, Brayko was one of the easier bosses. iirc you can also poison his cocaine so he kills himself after he goes to 80% if you have decent reputation with the crazy guy.

Although I think I pretty much always maxed my pistol/assault rifle skill each time through the game, so that might very well be why.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

Yeah, pistols are so overpowered you can simply one-shot Brayko.

Spiking cocaine is indeed possible if you did Tokyo (IIRC). Should still be doable to go there if stuck. It definitely makes it more easy.
And I would figure stealth would allow you an easy time. Just stealth stealth stealth and take health away bit by bit.
The slow, tedious and boring way, but that's stealth.

Its been a while since I played though, and never actually did a stealth run myself, since I don't got the patience and stuff for that ;)
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
YeomanTheCastle
UNATCO

Post by YeomanTheCastle »

Just finished Alpha Protocol for, what, the 5th time? Fuck...

It's definitely a flawed gem. There are a few pretty big problems, the difficulty being the big one. The game is horribly balanced, it either seems to be ridiculously easy or impossibly difficult at various times. The bosses aren't great (although they're not flat out god awful like in DX:HR), they could've been so much better. I wish I could've actually used martial arts properly against them, but it only seems to work in combination with a gun. The closest I could get to a full on hand-to-hand battle was with Championchik, and even then I had to use chain shot (!) on him once or twice.

The thing that really pissed me off, however, was how guns are fucking useless at close range. It's X-COM bullshit right here, where the bullets seem to fire at everything but the Halbech fuckturd that's 8 inches away from Michael Thorton. It's ridiculous and just not at all acceptable.

Back to playing TNM again. Goat City music really reminds me of Spyro.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Jaedar wrote:as I remember it, Brayko was one of the easier bosses
Not with my character build he wasn't. Which actually added insult to injury, because I'd managed to beat two legendary super spies in Rome and Taiwan, and the guy who ended up handing me my ass was some stupid street punk party boy. Jason Bourne would've eviscerated Brayko with his bare fucking hands :P
iirc you can also poison his cocaine so he kills himself after he goes to 80% if you have decent reputation with the crazy guy.
Yeah except I'd spent my money on other things before that option came up, so I couldn't afford it when it was time to prepare for Brayko.
Although I think I pretty much always maxed my pistol/assault rifle skill each time through the game, so that might very well be why.
My "mistake" was to focus on stealth and martial arts. It worked splendidly in regular gameplay, and in fact was the main reason I found the game entertaining (I got in a few gunfights and they were pretty disappointing because of the bland weapon feel). Sadly stealth is worth nothing against the bosses, and they're all frickin' balanced to be super tough in hand-to-hand combat.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

YeomanTheCastle wrote:Back to playing TNM again. Goat City music really reminds me of Spyro.
There were a couple of TNM tracks that I remember reminding me of Spyro. Damn I loved those games. *Runs off to find PS1.*
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

Cybernetic pig wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxIxcYMykrw

Best Spyro track by far 8)

This one from the third game was my favourite. Fucking nostalgia; it hurts so bad.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkiR1-NIT-M
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Playing Splinter Cell: Blacklist. It may be my favourite Splinter Cell game so far. Too bad the story is so clichéd and the characters are so amazingly boring.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Jonas wrote:Playing Splinter Cell: Blacklist. It may be my favourite Splinter Cell game so far. Too bad the story is so clichéd and the characters are so amazingly boring.
Any new super-cool moves Sam gets to perform?
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

All the animations are new, I think, but overall Blacklist is essentially a (quite successful so far) marriage of the old stuff from Chaos Theory and Double Agent with the new stuff from Conviction. So from Conviction it has the mark and execute, the fast and semi-automated cover switching, the faster climbing and general increased mobility, and the diverse arsenal, but it also brings back the traditional stealth and the gadgets and the nonlethal options from the old games. It plays a lot like a slicker, faster Chaos Theory, partially because they ditched the Man On The Run plot and went back to the globetrotting mission-based super-commando plot.

That said, they have added mobile executes and takedowns so you can mark enemies and then execute them while running through the room or take down an enemy while running past him. It's quite cool.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Jonas wrote:All the animations are new, I think, but overall Blacklist is essentially a (quite successful so far) marriage of the old stuff from Chaos Theory and Double Agent with the new stuff from Conviction. So from Conviction it has the mark and execute, the fast and semi-automated cover switching, the faster climbing and general increased mobility, and the diverse arsenal, but it also brings back the traditional stealth and the gadgets and the nonlethal options from the old games. It plays a lot like a slicker, faster Chaos Theory, partially because they ditched the Man On The Run plot and went back to the globetrotting mission-based super-commando plot.

That said, they have added mobile executes and takedowns so you can mark enemies and then execute them while running through the room or take down an enemy while running past him. It's quite cool.
Cheers Jonas. It does sound like the gameplay is entertaining even if the story is a bit "tepid". I'll grab it when I can afford to.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Found the time to play a bit of Deus Ex: The Fall today. It's a fairly depressing experience. Not because it's a bad game as such, but it's obviously a mere shadow of Human Revolution, powerfully hampered in both design, setting, and aesthetics by the relative weakness of the iPad hardware. It also went from being a stealth action game to just a hard core stealth game where discovery means irrevocable death because the AI is really good at flanking and I need a lot of time to line up my shots with the virtual joystick. All the time I play it I'm sort of enjoying myself (until the shitty touch controls get me killed again), but I look at the cramped and maze-like Costa Rica setting and wonder what it might have been like if this were a real game.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
kdawg88
MJ12

Post by kdawg88 »

I thought Squeenix were meant to be cutting back on these pathetic mobile spinoffs.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Did you? Because my impression is they're going all-in for mobile platforms after the successive financial failures of their last three AAA productions.

Plus, apparently they just registered "Deus Ex Universe" as a trademark. Doesn't bode super well, does it?
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Jonas wrote:Plus, apparently they just registered "Deus Ex Universe" as a trademark. Doesn't bode super well, does it?
I can't decide if I think that means they're making an mmo or a facebook game. Or which would be worse. Rather academic, since it will almost certainly be terrible either way(p<0.05).
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum