Border Collie with intermittent diarrhea

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

CashiWaku
UNATCO

Border Collie with intermittent diarrhea

Post by CashiWaku »

All advice welcome.

My darling 15 year old Cassie has had episodic liquid stools for two months now. She is well in herself, still up for games and walks although I dare not take her to her favourite places while she has the diarrhea. Her appetite is good. Up to when this began her diet consisted of Arden Grange dried food with complement raw food added. She and the other dogs have been thriving on this for years and their stools always firm and minimal.

Since the age of nine, when she was diagnosed as hypothyroid, she has been on thyroxin replacement drugs with regular check ups and annual TSH and T4. All fine. She has also been on Meloxacam for a few months now due to some arthritis. She has been seen and examined by the vet and full blood profile and stool samples - all normal.

I know she is getting on in years and I was thinking that maybe this was age related. I turned down the vet's suggestion of endoscopy and biopsy as I did not think it appropriate but mainly because I do not want to subject her to general anaesthesia. However, while on my regular beach yesterday I met a lady who described the exactly the same situation in her young whippet. I am desperate. Her life is now restricted due to the diarrhea. I bred her and both parents lived to 16 + and never had anything like this.

p.s. We are in the process of moving house and it has been a very stressful time. Could this be a factor ?
RiugarKaowi
Mole Person

Re: Border Collie with intermittent diarrhea

Post by RiugarKaowi »

There are many companies that offer this type of testing and certification, so make sure you do your research and find a reliable source.
BeverJacon
Mole Person

Re: Border Collie with intermittent diarrhea

Post by BeverJacon »

I'm so sorry to hear that your darling 15-year-old Cassie has been experiencing episodic liquid stools for two months now. It sounds like she is still well in herself, which is great, but it's understandable that you're worried and want to find a solution. It sounds like you've been working closely with your vet and have already tried a number of different approaches, but it's still not clear what's causing the diarrhea.

It's possible that this could be age-related, or related to the stress of moving house. It's also good to know that the other dogs on the same diet are doing well. It's understandable that you're hesitant to subject Cassie to an endoscopy and biopsy, especially since she's getting on in years. However, it's good to know that you met someone with a similar situation in their young whippet.

Have you considered trying CBD oil for dogs as an alternative treatment option? It might be helpful to check https://www.orlandomagazine.com/best-cbd-oil-for-dogs for more information on CBD oil and its benefits for dogs with digestion issues.