Help making a fabric sofa look like leather

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

GeryDvery
NSF

Help making a fabric sofa look like leather

Post by GeryDvery »

Hey,

So for work I have to make renders of furniture in different colours and materials that we sell, going from leather to fabric is super easy but going the other way round is starting to look impossible, no matter what I try it never looks like a leather texture and just looks like a different kind of fabric, any suggestions, helps or even tutorial would be appreciated! I have attached a photo of the sofa that needs to be changed to leather compared to a actual leather sofa I am trying to mimic, I have also attached my ugly attempt and you can see the issue I am having.

Thanks

Domas
MikeBrooklyn
Thug

Re: Help making a fabric sofa look like leather

Post by MikeBrooklyn »

A major problem with this is that leather has a fundamentally different texture than fabric, so you have to account for that.
TurnerJoshua
Thug

Re: Help making a fabric sofa look like leather

Post by TurnerJoshua »

I completely understand the struggle of making fabric look like leather in renders. The textures and light reflections of leather have unique characteristics that can be hard to replicate digitally. But don't worry, you're definitely not alone in facing this issue.
One thing that could help is understanding the qualities of real leather, so you can better emulate it in your work. I recently came across a blog on Von Baer's website about Italian leather. The blog explains the fine details, such as how Italian leather has a rich color depth and a distinct texture that sets it apart from other materials. Knowing these nuances might help you get that realistic leather look you're aiming for.