Wannabe Steam Account hacker fails.

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Xesum
Illuminati

Post by Xesum »

siR | treffnix_: exclusive offert who you can add games for free on your Steam@ [Web Address removed for incase you click on it]
Xesum: hmm
Xesum: yes I'm going to click a .tk link
siR | treffnix_: it s really i hav try it
Xesum: Right...
siR | treffnix_: .tk just redirection
Xesum: If you want to hijack my steam account, first you need to Fuck off you insolent piece of shit. Get a job your poor basement dweller
siR | treffnix_ is now Offline.
I find telling people to fuck off always works.

I've had attempts like this before, but they've not worked, but the web address was a .tk

Dumb Hackers.
Paul, I know you said no phone messages, but South Street's going up in smoke. We'll have to meet at the subway station.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Re: Wannabe Steam Account hacker fails.

Post by Jaedar »

Yeah.. tricking people with free stuff doesn't work anymore, I mean has anyone ever fallen for the "you are the millionth visitor to this site, click here to claim prize" ads?
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

Someone must. Scams that never work are scams that will quickly disappear.
~Psychotic~
Silhouette

Post by ~Psychotic~ »

Depends what the scam is. I play World of Warcraft as well as Warhammer Online (among other MMO's) and you get random whispers from people all the fucking time telling you that Blizzard/Mythic Entertainment are releasing some new item and to go to blah blah blah site and you'll get it free! Just last night I got a whisper on WoW from someone, telling me I could get a free mount if I went to www.us-armory.com (leads to a phishing website where you'd put your details in and they'd be logged).

Told them to fuck off, literally in those words. 5 minutes later I get another fucking message. In fact, my entire group got the SAME EXACT MESSAGE. Thousands of people everyday fool for this. And I can't say I have sympathy for most of those free stuff scams. Because most of the time, it's common sense. Use common sense and you won't be fooled. See US-Armory? Doesn't equal WoW Armory (official site) which DOES NOT require you to log in. Game companies would also generally announce shit like that on their own website or in your own account page on their official website.

With the ads? Same deal. If it looks too good to be true, it probably is. And if you get fooled by it, then I laugh at your misery.
When I was younger I knew a motherfucker like you!
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Meh, I prefer scamspammers over goldspammers, at least the scammers give you the satisfaction of being smarter than an idiot, the goldspammers give you nothing more than irritation.
chris the cynic wrote:Someone must. Scams that never work are scams that will quickly disappear.
Even more reason to weep for the future of the human race. Those kinds of things make me think that maybe darwinism isn't so bad after all.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Lucky you! You are the 10003456th person here today click ok for your lucky door prize. Or dial 9 on your phone to get a free boat ride round the Carribean.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Epifols
Thug

Post by Epifols »

One time I was watching someone surf the internet and they clicked an ad that said "CLICK HERE OMG!!!!" or something like that, so I ask them "Why did you click that? You know you're only going to mess up your computer with adware and viruses and scams?" To which they replied "Yeah, but..."

And I've had someone trick me out of my Steam account as well, they had their name as : and tried to get people to think it was a system message.
Of our elaborate plans, the end
Of everything that stands, the end
Dead-eye
X-51

Post by Dead-eye »

When I was really little I clicked on an add that said "your a winner call this number" so I did and the lady on the phone told me that I had won a free trip to the carbine, but she needed me to give her my credit card information to confirm that I was 18, I had said I was earlier. I tried to get my mom to pick up the phone in the other room and after 5 minuets of talking to her my mom picked up but the lady had already hung up. I think she thought I was calling the cops. lol.

To bad if I had know what I know now I might have called the cops. I really, really, hate con men.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

I love phone calls like that. Got one recently that was so obviously a tape recording it was pitiful. I'm in the UK, so hearing a distant sounding American accent say "Congratulations! You've won a free holiday in Barbados!" and the like was just..uuuh. They weren't even trying.

On the note of lazy scams, someone tried to get my Digital Camera from me on ebay a few days ago:

Because "details.custserv@europe.com" sounds like a genuine Paypal e-mail address. Oddly, the scammer's account was set to US (and it had a fake US address and number), they wanted me to ship to a Nigerian address, and the language their ebay was set to (as can be seen in the e-mail from ebay) was French.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Yeah Dave, quite a few here in Australia have been caught up in the Nigerian scams. Apparently their government is actually trying to do something about it(belatedly).
Edit: Google 'Advance Fee Fraud'
Last edited by bobby 55 on Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Morti
UNATCO

Post by Morti »

Seriously? Be great if they actually do. I've had a few run-ins with Nigerians on eBay and I hardly ever use it.
~Psychotic~
Silhouette

Post by ~Psychotic~ »

bobby 55 wrote:Yeah Dave, quite a few here in Australia have been caught up in the Nigerian scams. Apparently their government is actually trying to do something about it(belatedly).
For future reference:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advance-fee_fraud
http://www.affcoalition.org/
http://www.state.gov/www/regions/africa/naffpub.pdf

Advance Fee Fraud is a fairly common scam. Hell, it's even in website adverts.
When I was younger I knew a motherfucker like you!
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Good on you PSY. If you want a job done right, do it youself. lol. Thanks.
loony636
UNATCO

Post by loony636 »

bobby 55 wrote:Yeah Dave, quite a few here in Australia have been caught up in the Nigerian scams. Apparently their government is actually trying to do something about it(belatedly).
Its damn hard to actually do anything about it though. The best you can do is awareness; which is what the government should be focusing on.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

loony636 wrote:
bobby 55 wrote: Its damn hard to actually do anything about it though. The best you can do is awareness; which is what the government should be focusing on.
Yes. I' ll have to check the news story of a couple of nights ago. I know they (Nigerian government) mentioned some sort of warning on the net. It would be unfortunate if that was all they were doing, but it would be a start.