What are you playing?

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Re: What are you playing?

Post by DDL »

Pretty sure it's pure combinatorial statistics: five cards = one hand, but two cards plus three of five possible cards = ten possible hands (if my numbers are up to scratch).
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

GOD YES! FULL HOUSE, ACES OVER SIXES, ALL IN YOUR FACE YOU BE-TOP-HATTED JERKWAD!

Ahem.

So I won eventually on a ridiculously lucky hand (he had aces over fives, talk about a close shave), but Poker still sucks the big one.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

EER wrote:I am still playing Mass Effect 2, so far I like the fact I do not have to drive the MAKO thing anymore
I much prefer the MAKO over the HAMMERHEAD, but you probably haven't used it yet.
I suppose all HAMMERHEAD missions being forced circuits instead of exploration did gave a false comparisson though, but the forced circuit MAKO sequences where just 1000x more fun anyway.
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

DDL wrote:Pretty sure it's pure combinatorial statistics: five cards = one hand, but two cards plus three of five possible cards = ten possible hands (if my numbers are up to scratch).
This I know*, but there are plenty of games where each player has seven cards. So each player has 21 possible hands. (If Google's math is up to scratch seven choose five is 21.)

[Added]
For example, apparently before Texas Hold Em took the world by storm 7 card stud was the most popular poker game. It goes like this:

1 Each player is dealt two cards, face down. People bet.
2 Each player is dealt one card, face up. People bet.
3 Step two is repeated three more times.
4 Each player is dealt one card, face down. People bet.
5 Hands are shown, the game ends.

Five players of Texas Hold Em would be 50 or 100 possible hands, depending on which of us is right (maybe 101). Five players of seven card stud represent 105 different hands. Not a big difference in the number of hands, but one game involves 15 cards and the other involves 35 cards. Which leads to higher hands?

I'm not completely sure. I think it might be related to the number of players actually. The more players in a game of Texas Hold Em the higher the chances that somebody is going to have cards that combine favorably with the cards on the table, where as no matter how many players you have in seven card stud any five cards will only have two other cards they can be combined with.

Failing that, all else being equal, you can just have a lot more players of Texas Hold Em. Seven players is the most you can have in Seven Card Stud, (if I'm right about the "burn" cards) you can have twenty two players in a game of Texas Hold Em. That would lead to a lot more hands.
[/Added]

-

* Well, maybe not, I thought you could pick as many of the cards on the table as you want as your hand, it is obviously useless to pick all of them (unless they're perfect and you want to split the pot), but being able to choose four of them and one of your two would add ten more possibilities than you mentioned.
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

Trying to play through l4d2 in Last Man on Earth mode on Expert difficulty. I'm learning things about the Director I didn't really care to know (For example the whole "gauge player stress" thing is bullshit, every time I die it sends more enemies at me until it reaches a peak of killing me ten seconds outside the safe room and then resets, the entire time I'm pulling my hair out and screaming), and while I managed to beat Dead Center, Dark Carnival is posing a significantly harder threat, especially the finale, which was designed around four dudes huddling together outputting a whole lotta lead. I don't have a whole lotta lead, and I don't have any cover from tank thrown rocks, smoker tongues, or spitter acid, and for the few places to go to attempt to get cover I universally get ambushed by a jockey.
And it certainly doesn't help that as soon as I put in the heroic effort to kill the tank all on my own, the game counts to ten and then spawns another. Every time.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Hassat Hunter wrote:the forced circuit MAKO sequences where just 1000x more fun anyway.
Hmm... 1000 times less fun than the linear MAKO sequences in Mass Effect 1... so the equivalent of eating rusty shurikens, then?
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Xesum
Illuminati

Post by Xesum »

I'd prefer having no Special Infected and just common and uncommon playing as one character.
Paul, I know you said no phone messages, but South Street's going up in smoke. We'll have to meet at the subway station.
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

Jonas wrote:
Hassat Hunter wrote:the forced circuit MAKO sequences where just 1000x more fun anyway.
Hmm... 1000 times less fun than the linear MAKO sequences in Mass Effect 1... so the equivalent of eating rusty shurikens, then?
Pretty much. The Hammerhead is the epitome is pointlessness. You don't even have to aim like the MAKO, it's just point and click.

To compensate they made each shot 30x less powerfull, so you have to spend a minute to kill your avarage foe. Well, unless the auto-correction thought about hitting another enemy and 'corrects' your shots into a mountain/the ground.

No, BioWare... NO.
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Controlling the Mako is slightly more fun than flying a plane in Just Cause 2. If only I had the words to describe the utter shit that experience is....oh wait. :D
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
XX3
Mole Person

Post by XX3 »

What I play:
Multi Theft Auto: San Andreas (Multiplayer mod)
Garry's Mod 10 <-- Played it on 800x600 windowed to prevent lags
Point Blank (Best Online FPS Game in Indonesia) <-- laggy
Counter Strike
Tekken 6 (PSP)
Black (PS2)

I don't have PS3 and My computer is crappy (not enough to play more recent games)
But I'm really thankful to see a good gameplay on an old game, like Deus Ex & TNM. It works smoothly on my crappy computer.
MTA SA Player (A GTA SA multiplayer mod), TNM & Deus Ex Player.
What to do: Help contributing the wiki. (The King Kashue, Medical bot, and Repair bot screens are taken and cropped by me)
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

Xesum wrote:I'd prefer having no Special Infected and just common and uncommon playing as one character.
Same. It feels like Last Man on Earth is two good ideas (Being alone, and having all special infected) that shouldn't really default to being together. There's another SP mutation coming up sometime called Last Samurai which is you vs only normal zombies, armed only with a katana.

Also, for the last three days I've been playing Oblivion on my PS3. It's strangely addictive here, where on PC I spent 90% of my time experimenting with mods and tweaks and barely touched the actual gameplay. I guess being forced to play it vanilla has convinced me to just play it like it should be (though some things I still really wish I could change, like the terrible way MP costs are calculated for high level spells making most of them 100% impossible for any character build to use without glitching your mana super high).
Got a feeling that the PS3 version was the least important don't give a shit version though. So many framerate issues. Especially bad was the fight for Kvatch, where you enter the castle across the drawbridge. 5 guards versus another half a dozen or so scamps, + player, = like 5 FPS. And it's the third story quest in the game, you could be here in less than an hour. They'd have to REALLY not give a shit not to have fixed this. There are lower points later in the game, like the ending of the Sheograth quest, which results in dogs on fire raining from the sky. Less than 1 FPS. The game became entirely unresponsible until the ragdolls had settled. Ugh. I actually just stopped playing tonight because it crashed on me, first time a console game has done that since I had an N64 and somebody touched the cartridge.
Still playing it though.... For some reason.
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

Lol, I think I just found one of the reasons I like this game. So I was in someone's room at an inn, stealing a book for a quest. Apparently somebody downstairs heard my unlock spell or something like that, because when I stepped outside and tried to quick travel away, I got a message saying that you can't travel while guards are after you, and checked my stats to find a 5 gold bounty (what you get for picking a lock). Now, I had some stolen shit on me, not the least of which that book for that quest, so I resisted arrest, cast a Calm spell on the guard, and fled. It wore off, and he caught up with me along with four of his friends. I tried to calm the whole group but my spell was only for 10 seconds.
However! Something about Calm must distort how NPCs perceive fights, because the normal citizens standing around saw the previously calmed guards snap out of it and attack me, and that wonderful Radiant AI kicked in and said "Hey! Those guards are attacking that defenseless innocent hero of kvatch completely unprovoked! I need to help him!", and suddenly half the town was at war with the town guard. I hid behind a tree. By the end of it two guards and all the townspeople who didn't have plot protection were dead, scattered around the great oak of Chorrol.
I then left town.
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

@JSL: That's hilarious :D
I have played through Oblivion twice on the PC, but my PC could barely run it so I didn't mod much. I did attempt to import a JC statue based on the models that float around here. I was thinking about making it a deadra quest or something, but failed horrendously in 'getting' the Construction Set (or at least the parts that relate to importing new objects). I did get the statue imported in Oblivion, but didn't understand how to hook it up so I could frob it. Also I didn't care enough to actually ask anyone for help.

As I am generally 'good' in RPG games, I do not have hilarious thieving stories to tell. Except that one time, when I stole an Elder Scroll...

Aaanyway, I played some more ME2 last night. Still no hammerhead. I am trying to avoid spoilers online, but I also am very curious how the story develops. So I have hit some minor spoilers. Also, some Danish guy told me some things last February, but they were mostly about how he was expecting Cerberus to screw him over. I am not so sure about that, yet.
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Red Dead Redemption has quite the ending. I'll leave it at that.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Xesum
Illuminati

Post by Xesum »

Jetsetlemming wrote:Lol, I think I just found one of the reasons I like this game. So I was in someone's room at an inn, stealing a book for a quest. Apparently somebody downstairs heard my unlock spell or something like that, because when I stepped outside and tried to quick travel away, I got a message saying that you can't travel while guards are after you, and checked my stats to find a 5 gold bounty (what you get for picking a lock). Now, I had some stolen shit on me, not the least of which that book for that quest, so I resisted arrest, cast a Calm spell on the guard, and fled. It wore off, and he caught up with me along with four of his friends. I tried to calm the whole group but my spell was only for 10 seconds.
However! Something about Calm must distort how NPCs perceive fights, because the normal citizens standing around saw the previously calmed guards snap out of it and attack me, and that wonderful Radiant AI kicked in and said "Hey! Those guards are attacking that defenseless innocent hero of kvatch completely unprovoked! I need to help him!", and suddenly half the town was at war with the town guard. I hid behind a tree. By the end of it two guards and all the townspeople who didn't have plot protection were dead, scattered around the great oak of Chorrol.
I then left town.
My Reaction to this can be explained by this video

I love it when AI fucks up beyond all recognition.
Paul, I know you said no phone messages, but South Street's going up in smoke. We'll have to meet at the subway station.