Hello friends, what do you think of my cardboard gun?

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

What do you think of the gun?

Yay.
No votes
Nay.
No votes

Total votes: 0
Hashi
Silhouette

Hello friends, what do you think of my cardboard gun?

Post by Hashi »

Greetings, so I've made a cardboard gun many years back (High School) and have added to it over the years. I last worked on it a few years back.

Originally it was all sticky tape until I leveled up and discovered glue that looked much better and was stronger then sticky tape. It also didn't lose its adhesive like sticky tape did.

Pros
It looks like a gun
It's strong
The general shape is nice
It's almost proportional
The clips come out and so does the back

Cons
It's not entirely straight
It's too big
I don't quite like the back and the front of the gun
As its not 100% proportional, it doesn't look quite right

Here are the pics:

So what do you guys think?
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: Hello friends, what do you think of my cardboard gun?

Post by Jonas »

I'm not sure I see the point of making a gun out of cardboard, but for what it's worth it's reasonably impressive. Wouldn't pass for a real prop, but I'm sure a kid could have a lot of fun with it.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Zaine
UNATCO

Post by Zaine »

Well thats not something you see every day. Its really good and certainly unique anyway. Well done!
You Will Regret This!
that guy
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by that guy »

agree with Jonas. No one is going to think its real from anything but the most cursory of glances but I get that thats not really the point and for what it is its pretty impressive.
Grammatolatry
MJ12

Post by Grammatolatry »

Take it for a test-run out in public!
wink wonk
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Yeah if you're American, definitely do this. If the cops shoot you dead, you'll know you've done a good job!
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
miguel
UNATCO

Post by miguel »

That's called papercraft modeling and it can get as complex as modeling a human face just like you do on 3d with vertises and triangles.
I foud cool website of a guy doing props from "Aliens" movie, There is an m41a pulse rifle that look really cool and you can download the textures with the instructions.
He also made the dropship and other veicles and even Parts of the colony seen in the movie with nice details.
Papercraft is a nice hobby that demands precision and patience, that's the point.
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

I approve of Origami and paper sculpting of all kinds.

http://onemonk.com/undead

I had some fun putting a few of these guys together. Back then he didn't charge for the downloads.

You really need to invest in plastic feet for them, though...and preferably glue coins underthere, and then get a metal box with magnetic bottom.

That way you can line them up in their storage compartment, and they'll be imminently playable.

These days I think I would prefer semi-transparent miniatures, or just regular old pictures on paper of the right size and shape...cutting out the miniatures takes a lot of time an effort, and if I'm going to be putting in a lot of time for each figure, I think I'd prefer painted metal or plastic mini's....

There's no reason you can't combine it, of course....and it's a damn sight more engaging to play with than using dice for enemies.
Hashi
Silhouette

Post by Hashi »

AEmer wrote:I approve of Origami and paper sculpting of all kinds.

http://onemonk.com/undead

I had some fun putting a few of these guys together. Back then he didn't charge for the downloads.

You really need to invest in plastic feet for them, though...and preferably glue coins underthere, and then get a metal box with magnetic bottom.

That way you can line them up in their storage compartment, and they'll be imminently playable.

These days I think I would prefer semi-transparent miniatures, or just regular old pictures on paper of the right size and shape...cutting out the miniatures takes a lot of time an effort, and if I'm going to be putting in a lot of time for each figure, I think I'd prefer painted metal or plastic mini's....

There's no reason you can't combine it, of course....and it's a damn sight more engaging to play with than using dice for enemies.
funny you should mention figurines. I also made war hammer figurines too, they were pretty good, but I could never get the faces quite right lol. Basically this is back when I had nothing else to but to make shit out of the cardboard. Now I read/write instead. If you're interested I can take pics of some of the war hammer figurines I've made