What are you playing?

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

nerdenstein
Illuminati

Re: What are you playing?

Post by nerdenstein »

bobby 55 wrote:I decided to do the Shadow Broker mission after all the loyalty missions bar one, as I've done it prior to getting the IFF. I think I enjoyed it even more in this second playing, and it's my favourite part of ME 2.
Well I am doing the Project: Firewalker DLC missions at the moment. It adds several Hover Tank missions that are quite fun at first, but I'm fed up with replying one over and over at the moment because you can't save at all during the mission and every time you die, you need to start from the beginning.
I know that doesn't sound so bad, but I'm bored of this section now. :P
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Yeah, I didn't bother downloading Fire Walker again. I did download Saeed's, Kusami's, TLotSB and armor DLCs. Anyhoo, we have crashed on the Collector/Reaper station in Omega 4, and it's "time to for payback".

Added: Renegade Jane has saved the galaxy, with help of course. It'll be interesting to see which of her not-so-nice actions comes back to bight her in the ass in ME 3. :)
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

:mrgreen:

I guess you did it fairly completionist this time. I know I probably missed out on a ton of good renegade choices, but I really wanted to play a driven character that was focused on ending the collector threat.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

AEmer wrote::mrgreen:

I guess you did it fairly completionist this time. I know I probably missed out on a ton of good renegade choices, but I really wanted to play a driven character that was focused on ending the collector threat.
She wasn't mean to her crew, but she did some bad things. In the end the Renegade point-o-meter wasn't that much ahead of the Paragon.
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

It's hard not to pick up a bunch of paragon points. After all, those quicktime interruptions, whether they're renegade or paragon, are things you always want to do because they're awesome. It's probably the best execution of quicktime events I've ever seen, but yeah, if you get the paragon points from those, and if you're generally paragon with your crew, you'll get a ton of paragon points.

Worst part about the system is that the late-game loyalty mission decisions give a ton of renegade or paragon points - but you only get to choose them if you have a lot already.

Still, I suppose the system at least makes you decide on an archetype and help you ease into it.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy has an extensive list of ingame tutorials. Unfortunately I can't read/see what they're on about. :lol:
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Oh, you picked up Divine Cybermancy? My condolences to you on this, the day of your wasted money.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Jonas wrote:Oh, you picked up Divine Cybermancy? My condolences to you on this, the day of your wasted money.
Hassat gifted it to me. I'll have to learn the interface without the tutorials, yikes!
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

Jonas wrote:Oh, you picked up Divine Cybermancy? My condolences to you on this, the day of your wasted money.
I bought it too, but so far the game seems very complex, which is generally a good thing, but unfortunately unnecessarily complex and with a terrible tutorial. It has a tutorial but the tutorial itself is rather complicated and unclear.
Still, it seems really cool despite the complexity and the somewhat empty maps. And I gladly pay for the development of this kind of games, even if this particular game isn't very good.
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

EYE's a great game you just have to devote some effort into it. The tutorials are pretty much useless, so here's the quick tips instead:

1) Immediately go into the menus and rebind some controls. Use by default is on Enter, which is absurd, and there are other functions you'll want handy, and the "quick menu" button is super important (I can't think of any others in particular off the top of my head right now). Come back as you play and add more shit to convenient places.

2) That quick menu will always have a button to your actions menu in it. Open that actions menu, and right click on:
Hacking. This opens your menu where you can select a hacking target, and attempt to wrestle it into submission or die (yes you can actually die) trying.
Psi-clone. This makes three copies of yourself around you. They have very little health, but importantly, they distract enemies and absorb incoming fire from you, and can actually do some damage to enemies. Psi powers cost your energy, same as sprint.
The page for your character sheet (where you can see your stats, and spend your level up skill points).
MOST IMPORTANT: The "repair" action. This obscures your screen for four or five seconds, and in exchange has a chance to heal you some, based on your healing ability, and more importantly, fixes negative status effects like broken legs, bleeding, and mental effects.
Use the rest of the slots for things you think might be useful, like more skills you've unlocked, or changing fire modes. Once you buy turrets or scarab bots, you place them by using an action button from this menu, so you'll want to put them on the quick menu, too.

3) First thing once you get into the game (I don't know if you can do this in the tutorial, but definitely once you get to the HQ area), open your character sheet, go to the "Research" tab, and start researching the medkit option. Put the "scientists" bar on 0 (this works somehow), which maximizes the time the research will take to finish, but minimizes the cost. At this point in the game, you've got far more time than money. IIRC, each "hour" of the research time is like ten seconds of real time, and research progresses passively as you play. The medkit is an equipment item that you have to scroll to like a gun. You can use it on friends with left click, or yourself with right click. It'll recharge its "ammo" after you feel, and the amount in the needle effects how much it heals on use. You have to be holding it for it to recharge.

4) Equipment is accessed by the armory boxes, the big black cupboards in key areas. You can equip whatever in any slot as long as it'll fit. You can only equip a gun once you've bought it, however (you start with a very good set of starter weapons). You also have to equip the ammo for the selected gun, you can put as many clips in your pockets as you want. All the guns, ammo, grenades, etc. are infinite in supply, you're only limited by inventory space, and weight. Each item has a percentage value that it will slow your movement by (your strength skill reduces this percentage). Equipping better armor than the default Light armor (This is also free) will also significantly add to your "speed malus" (how much you're slowed). I'd recommend going with the single shot assault rifle and the starter pistol when you start out, but definitely experiment with the guns and see what you like. The chaingun that fills your entire backpack is surprisingly awesome.

5) You can buy access to new guns at the HQ. They have minimum stat requirements, especially Accuracy. If you want more toys, try and buff Accuracy as much as possible as you level. You can buy more psi-spells as well, which also have minimum stat requirements (guess which stat). You can also buy cyber implants, which, yet again, has stat requirements. Once you buy these, they go in your actions menu. You can "level" them by spending points on related existing cybertech areas.

6) Speaking of cybertech, that's another tab on your character sheet. No stat points or skills requires, just cold hard brosefs. Lots of them. These upgrades give you minor upgrades to your stats, and more importantly, have bonuses for your purchases implants, mostly in significant energy cost reductions.

7) You can pick up shit by looking down and using it, including guns you haven't bought (good luck finding ammo), ammo (these boxes have the image of the gun they're for in black, and a nice pink heart), and misc research objects. These frequently look like gifts now due to the christmas event. Research them the same way you did the medkit, and unlock fun prizes or whatever.
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

Great thanks =D> I was wondering how I could heal myself #-o
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Yeah, thanks Jetset. I've been walking with a broken leg in most of the tutorial. :P

Added: There's no auto save? Last night I made it to the chamber thing, and I just fired the game up and I'm at the start of the dream sequence again. :(

I guess that will give me a chance to familiarize myself with the UI. It's a bit annoying though.
JC_Helios
X-51

Post by JC_Helios »

Been playing Mass Effect 2 as well after beating mass effect 1 after having bought both back in the Fall Steam sale. ( I beat 1 once on the xbox and did most of 2)
For mass effect 1 I ended up slightly more paragon than renegade because I have giving up content just to be a jack ass(ie: I'd almost always stop characters from getting killed, even if it was a major paragon choice. I got the 75% renegade achievement first, then used the Bring down the Sky DLC to get my paragon up, then finally saved the council seeing as how the alternative was too blatantly evil, and stupid. ( The end result being little more than a one-up for humans, while making everyone else hate you)

Currently I have like 2 loyalty missions left and a number of side quests/DLC stuff with both paragon and renegade in the final bar segment.

Other games I've been playing.

Just beat "To the Moon"
Mass Effect 2 as mentioned
And struggling through and getting frustrated with Skyrim.

An interesting combination. To the Moon is basically all story, and a very good and sad one at that (ironically enough, I heard of the game through on of the biggest sell-out, crappy, mainstream places possible; Gamespot. It won their game of the year award for Best Story)

Mass effect has decent gameplay, and while bioware is known for regurgitating stories to the point of being extremely annoying, I actually find some parts of the Mass Effects interesting, and/or emotional.

Skyrim on the other hand is generic dungeon crawls tied together loosely by horrible stories, and even worse characters... probably my own fault, I went for the Mages guild first and Bethesda seems to suck most at writing intellectual stories and challenges. Hopefully the Thief/Dark Brotherhood stuff will make me feel better; if not there's always the eventual mods... Maybe refresh myself with recent Oblivion mods while I'm waiting for good Skyrim ones to come out.
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

Completed Mass Effect 2 for the first time. I enjoyed the ending sequence; being able to assign squad mates to different things was kinda cool but I wish it was a little more hands on; Splitting the entire squad into teams and being able to play as the leader characters, similar to some of the KotOR II sequences for example.
After completion, I decided to try out the other relationship choices:Jack and Tali. I hit on Miranda but the Jack and Tali stories were way more emotional. I think Miranda is more canon (Is Canon even applicable for a game such as Mass Effect?) because of the lack of emotion behind it (definitely seemed more of a 'we are all gonna die, lets have sex' sort of sex) and his love for Ashley/Liara (both of whom are coming back in ME3 apparently.)

It'll be interesting to see how the play out a Mass Effect film adaptation...
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

I'm looking forward to seeing all the romance fallout for people having romanced one character in the first and another in the second...

Liara is surprisingly ok with you switching, but I have hopes that won't be the case with the others.

I was also gifted E.Y.E. so I'll be trying it out at some point.