Game recommendations (Or: Help me find something to play)

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

I've been playing counterstrike, The Ur-Quan Masters, and Xcom: Terror From The Deep lately.
TFTD really, REALLY, REEAAALLLY doesn't want anybody to play it. 2/3 of every mission I go on is a terror mission, which is above water where most of my standard equipment doesn't work. After the first month and a half in the game, now 3/4 of the terror missions that pop up are shipping lane terror, in which the aliens assault a cargo ship or cruise ship. Why people are going on cruises or shipping cargo via boat when the world's oceans are being raided by monstrous aliens from below the sea is beyond me, but these retards are, and I have to save them, but it's impossible to save them.
Shipping lane terror missions come in two parts; above deck, and below deck. You have to kill everything above deck, saving as many of your men and civilians as possible, then the game starts a new level in the ship's hold. At this point, it becomes absolutely impossible; there's a bug in the game that makes you lose most of your shit during the level transition. Any guns that have a bullet limit (ie all of them except melee) are completely emptied. Grenades, flares, stun sticks in backpacks disappear off the face of the earth.
And of course, this whole time most of your weapons and your remote tanks can't do anything, because you're above water.
Of course, on top of that there are a number of game killing bugs in the research tree that can prevent you from beating the game if you research things in the wrong order, or just if it feels you're not getting fucked over enough randomly, after a few months aliens start building colonies on earth at a rate of about 2 per month, and each colony that survives on Earth costs you 500 points in your end month review, which quickly ends up with you getting hugely negative ratings, funding cuts, and then the funding nations shutting down the project, giving you a game over.

I'm doing my best to try and force my way through to the end game as fast as possible before the colonies catch on. This is the absolute most "Fuck you" game I've ever played. A Super Mario romhack isn't this bad.
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

Just got into FreeOrion: http://www.freeorion.org/index.php/Main_Page

I played Master of Orion 2 a LOT, way back. Didn't play 3 as much, but I like this clone :)
You'd have to be into turn-based gameplay though (civ-ish). Speaking of which, FreeCiv is also ... adequate ... but I like Civ 2 better.
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

http://www.sigma-team.net/games/action/ ... ooter.html

Here's something I'd recommend to everyone else. I just got this and played through it tonight, and it's fucking amazing. Arcade shooter with RPG elements (level up your character, purchase and upgrade weapons, ammo, inventory) and a Blizzard art style. One of the most fun games I've played all year.
that guy
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by that guy »

Alien shooter wasn't bad but quickly got repetitive.
Master_Kale
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by Master_Kale »

Quick! This weekend only, Prey is $5 on Steam! I watched someone play through the whole game in an LP on the SA forums, but I figured $5 is a hell of a deal for a relatively good-looking FPS!
fox
X-51

Post by fox »

I started to feel sick everytime I tried to play Prey. It's because you have to walk on the walls and the ceiling pretty often. The story itself (or at least what I've seen from it before I stopped playing it) didn't really appeal to me because it felt like a b-movie without the trashfactor.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

I'd recommend the following for being non-linear or feature lots of exploration:

Syndicate (Cyberpunk so its good - its RTS though but has a few RPG elements to it)

BioForge (Cyberpunk again - and has to be the most insanely crazy game ideas ever! If you've ever wondered what it'd be like to wake up one day completely transformed into a cyborg this game is for you. Yay! look ma! I'm a freak of nature!)

Little Big Adventure 2 (Kids game but MASSIVE! DaveW will agree you should play this game)

Anarchronox (As already established by JAF- this game is massive, it took me a full week to complete)

Pandora Directive (Cyberpunk and has a very crazy story like Deus Ex with global conspiracies and what not- excelent story) (you should really play Under a Killing Moon first though since the story continues on from that game)

The X Files Game (similar to Pandora but not CP - still you get to do a lot of exploring and its non-linear) (did I mention you get to meet Mulder? (and stab him in the face :D))

Blade Runner (CP, however you won't do much exploring since everything in it is from the film.. but its nonlinear :D)

Gothic 2 and Gothic 3 - both games are similar to Oblivion - Gothic 3 is a bit annoying at times and a tad repetitive, Gothic 2 however is GOLD.
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

Syndicate was excellent, I once ALMOST completed it (only the ocean base left), but then lost my savegame when our Amiga was brought in for repair :cry:
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!
fox
X-51

Post by fox »

Yes it was great but it's hard to get to work on modern PCs and it aged quite a bit.
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

Ugh, rts.

Don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed the occasional RTS, rarely. Played Starcraft with friends for a while. But it just can't compare to turn based strategy for me. Xcom and FF: Tactics have firmly cemented my preference. :P
Phasmatis
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Phasmatis »

Alpha Centuri is a superb turn based strategy game. if you haven't played it I highly recommend it.
Keeper of the pointy stick of injustice™.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Jetsetlemming wrote:But it just can't compare to turn based strategy for me. Xcom and FF: Tactics have firmly cemented my preference. :P
Then I strongly recommend Jagged Alliance 2 if you're up for some retro or Hammer & Sickle if you're out for some more modern gaming. Haven't played very far into H&S, but it seems pretty impressive thus far.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

I tried Jagged Alliance a while ago, but couldn't figure it out. Still have it downloaded. Maybe I'll find a guide on gamefaqs and try again. :)
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Shane can rant at length about the merits of Jagged Alliance 2. It's kinda crazy how much you can do in that game.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

Who's Shane again? Can he explain the controls to me? Cause that's where I got stuck. :P