What are you playing?

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

kdawg88
MJ12

Re: What are you playing?

Post by kdawg88 »

Re: Human Revolution
It's a minor, personal complaint and I know there are those who may enjoy stuff like that. However, I don't like how the boundary between film and game is so easily blurred. I want to fully interact with the game at all times, and if the developer wants to tell me the story then it should be done in the least restrictive way, or stop the game completely to show me a cinematic. And if it's going to do that then I should have the option to skip it and continue the game. I don't enjoy half-baked attempts at interactivity like dragging the player through the room like they're on some sort of train track (like the one at the start of Half-Life, for instance) and making the mouse sensitivity ridiculously low (as though that makes it so much more realistic). The other reason why I didn't enjoy that opening walkthrough/cinematic sequence is because I wasn't interested in the story, but that reinforces my point that players should be allowed to skip cutscenes.

In other words, I shouldn't have to wait for the game to continue if I don't want to. The takedown cinematics really bother me because they take what should be an exciting climax, and turn it into a movie.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Jonas wrote:
DaveW wrote:I have a blank firing H&K USP that dry fires and field strips like the real thing, and the game didn't simulate the feeling of it at all, at least to me.
Hah! I have a USP airsoft replica. I use it to kill spiders. No joke.
I'd love an Airsoft one :(. Unfortunately the UK laws around owning a 'realistic' replica are stronger than the laws governing air rifles (seriously), so I can't own one. Not sure how I have a blank firing replica really, I'm not sure it's entirely legal.

I've got a little laser sight for mine though, that's what you need.

kdawg88 wrote:Re: Human Revolution
It's a minor, personal complaint and I know there are those who may enjoy stuff like that. However, I don't like how the boundary between film and game is so easily blurred. I want to fully interact with the game at all times, and if the developer wants to tell me the story then it should be done in the least restrictive way, or stop the game completely to show me a cinematic. And if it's going to do that then I should have the option to skip it and continue the game. I don't enjoy half-baked attempts at interactivity like dragging the player through the room like they're on some sort of train track (like the one at the start of Half-Life, for instance) and making the mouse sensitivity ridiculously low (as though that makes it so much more realistic). The other reason why I didn't enjoy that opening walkthrough/cinematic sequence is because I wasn't interested in the story, but that reinforces my point that players should be allowed to skip cutscenes.

In other words, I shouldn't have to wait for the game to continue if I don't want to. The takedown cinematics really bother me because they take what should be an exciting climax, and turn it into a movie.
Agreed - cinematics are necessary and I don't think the Half Life method of being in control at all times suits all games, but I think there should always be some justification for stripping control from the player. Controlling the character should be the 'default' for a game, and deviating from that shouldn't be encouraged.

That said, the take-down cinematics didn't bother me as much as I thought they would. It's no more/less easy than taking an enemy down in Deus Ex, and it's a little more interesting (though if they were a bit more 'fluid' and less like staged animations, I think that would've been better). I'm glad, at least, that they didn't add a quicktime event where you have to mash the keyboard in order to perform them.
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

For Mass Effect 3 fans; They're releasing the free Extended Cut DLC to provide additional closure to the endings at some point next week.
I was particularly excited until I saw the development pictures, which looked pretty sweet. They look to be adding much needed scenes to make certain things make more sense. Doesn't mean to say it'll be a better ending, just one that makes a little more sense.
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Cheers nerdenstein. I wouldn't have bothered getting it if it cost something, however, free means at least I'll have a look at it. I think they were saying at BioWare that it was a bit more detailed explanation (as you mentioned). I don't think the guys who wrote the main game, which was pretty good imo, coulda had much to do with the ending(s).
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

nerdenstein wrote:I was particularly excited until I saw the development pictures, which looked pretty sweet.
:-k
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Where are they adding stuff? Before the final part in the Citadel? Or is it just added to the end of the game, after you make the "choice"?
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Jonas wrote:Where are they adding stuff? Before the final part in the Citadel? Or is it just added to the end of the game, after you make the "choice"?

Yeah, not where you said. It's a series of cinematic epilogues that expand, and explain, the endings and sorta *clarifies what happens as a result of your choices.

*Reading blurbs isn't always enlightening. :?
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

Apparently, you need to start playing from just before the attack on the Cerberus base. I'm assuming the changes take place during or just after that. I hope they change the Earth mission too; it was boring as hell. But then, they've already said they won't be including any additional game play sequences so I guess that is out the window.
DaveW wrote:
nerdenstein wrote:I was particularly excited until I saw the development pictures, which looked pretty sweet.
:-k
Sorry, *wasn't particularly excited until I saw the dev pictures. :mrgreen:
But then, they could mean nothing and not change a lot.

However, a 1.9Gb download has gotta include something decent. Right? :/

Source: http://www.masseffect.com/about/extended_cut/
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Crusader kings 2.

Fucking succession man. First both my ruler and my heir die within the span of a week causing a very annoying succession problem and I wind up playing a woman(just like medieval europe, this game is very sexist. Also good men for breeding are way harder to come by). And because she was married the regular way I had to kill off my husband so I could get a new matrilinear one to be able to continue my dynasty. And then she dies before her heir is 10 years old so I wind up playing a kid and then half my vassals rebel and then poland invades :evil:

Well, at least he's adult now and hasn't lost much except for time.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Hahaha! Sorry for laughing, it's just me imagining you as kinda Eleanor of Aquitaine.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Sounds like things got a bit Margrethe I for you there.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
kdawg88
MJ12

Post by kdawg88 »

I am fairly sure that things can't possibly get more messed up than Henry VIII's succession.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

http://imgur.com/a/IWkak#F7vre
Why do I feel like forming the democratic kingdom of Russia was a bad idea?
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Holy crap! I suppose the game doesn't allow assassins to bump off a few of those 'revolting' vassals?
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

wtf have you been feeding the danes?