What are you playing?

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Re: What are you playing?

Post by DDL »

You should totally play stalker. Probably not vanilla straight-out-of-the-box stalker, since there are a ton of mods that improve it both visually and by adding back omitted content, but yeah: stalker is great.

It does have that sort of "wtf"-ness that comes with all of the former soviet-bloc type games, where you always feel that someone should've perhaps explained things to you at some point ("who are you, and why should I care? What the hell is going on?"), but it's aces.

Also punishingly hard, which seems to be a consistent element of games you enjoy.
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

I've been playing dayz. It's...it's good man!

Like, terribly hard. And I guess you need to enjoy military war fps's a bit. But I've had a lot of fun with that game.
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

I've watched Hat Films do a Let's Play of DayZ and it looks a lot of fun! Buggy as hell though.
I might wait until Rocket releases a full retail version before playing though.
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

you absolutely need to play with friends, and it's punishing as hell. What's more...there's not really any end goal to it. That's probably the biggest missing piece.

I've still had a ball just dicking around though. We had a buss for a while. That was fucking awesome.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

I'd Recommend Stalker Call of Pripyat. It's the most polished of those games and it's great!
Cybernetic pig wrote: Top 5 in loving memory
No Dawn of War, bad list [-(
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

Cybernetic pig wrote: :cry:
Top 5 in loving memory

1. The Punisher
2. Destroy all Humans 2
3. G-Darius
4. Red Faction (Original)

Wow, that's it. They published a lot of kids games. I don't like Saint's Row, and regretfully have not played Stalker: SoC.
I'll throw in the mediocre racing game Juiced as #5.
There was that Metro game, but I didn't really give it much of a chance that it possibly deserved. It was immersive but the gameplay was meh. It felt as If I were playing a slightly better CoD campaign; very Linear and lot's of scripted scenes, basic gameplay. though in it's credit the scripted scenes were pretty well done, unlike most of the movie wannabe's.
Metro 2033 was an excellent game. You should really try it. It's about as far from CoD any linear shooter can get.
But that's not relevant. What's relevant to me is that it was one of the few publisher that consistently published games in new franchises rather than milking existing ones. I didn't like all of them, but I liked the fact that they tried every time.
Some new IPs from the past few years:
-Saints Row (I like the third, the second one is supposed to be good as well)
-Metro 2033 (the best shooter of the past 5 years no mistake)
-Company of Heroes (hated it, but many people liked it)
-Warhammer 40K Dawn of War (RTS based on Warhammer, is apparently rather good)
-Darksiders
-STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl

Also, they kept trying with Red Faction, even though it never sold really well. I thought RF: Guerilla was great fun.

STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl is amazing. My favourite game of the past few years. I think you'd like it as well, it's an RPG but without the skill stats and no hand holding.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Yeah I will definitely play Stalker soon. Most First Person RPG's are in thier own league imo.
gamer0004 wrote: it's an RPG but without the skill stats and no hand holding.
But...I love rpg stats. By the bucket load. Especially when combined with first person shooting.

Still, definitely a priority to play STALKER soon.
Jaedar wrote: No Dawn of War, bad list [-(
Never played it.
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

Played SA and JC2 with keyboard and mouse, don't think I had too much trouble flying.

SA is distant memory but for JC2 the key clue was not to use to press on speed once you got started or you became uncontrollable. Managed to finish all flight missions, even if some took some tries (boom, bridge :/).
Now those freefall missions... I can't say I completed a single one of those. No clue what-so-ever what they were about.
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
AgentOrange
UNATCO

Post by AgentOrange »

Beat San Andreas, but when I tried playing GTA III and Vice City, and I was greeted with horribly buggy driving controls as a result of having the frame limiter disabled.

OK, so I'll just enable the -- holy shit why is the game suddenly running so slow that the controls feel really unresponsive?

So either I:

A) Play III and VC capped at some weird unresponsive sub-30 FPS

B) Play III and VC with cars that don't reverse, don't turn unless I'm constantly holding Accelerate, and are generally uncontrollable

Goddammit, why do all the awesome old PC games have game-breaking bugs relating to extremely high FPS?
"Heh, a Throne Room! How pretentious can you get?" - Garret
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

Because GTA is not actually a pc game. It has some of that terrible, terrible special source that comes from converting analog sticks to keyboard/mouse input.

Analogs provide data as floting points. Keyboard/mouse provide it as integers. The result of converting straight over is horrid.
googlegirl
Mole Person

Post by googlegirl »

right now i m playing COD 4
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

Why hello there, welcome to the forums :)
kdawg88
MJ12

Post by kdawg88 »

I am playing Final Fantasy XII and truly enjoying it. The gameplay is a much needed change for me from the dreaded random encounters of previous titles in the series, and I'm finding the option for real-time (active) battles with player movement very engaging and fun.

The writing and localisation of the game is excellent. The dialogue is beautifully written and the characters are pretty interesting in general (not to mention very good-looking). If you ask me the soundtrack is a cut above that of the work Nobuo Uematsu (a talented but slightly overrated composer), and I've been listening to it outside the game.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

kdawg88 wrote: The writing and localisation of the game is excellent. The dialogue is beautifully written and the characters are pretty interesting in general (not to mention very good-looking). If you ask me the soundtrack is a cut above that of the work Nobuo Uematsu (a talented but slightly overrated composer), and I've been listening to it outside the game.
:shock:

You overrate FF12 and the composer. Sure, was a good game, but nowhere near as good as the older ones in writing, music and creativity imo. Gameplay was slightly better though, adding more strategy, yet there was a lot of grinding. Also Level design was rather bland, but at least locations were varied. Still, not a bad game by any means, but I haven't touched it since I was 16 and don't think i'll ever replay it again, yet I plan to go back to the older ones sometime soon for the 7th or so time.
12 was definately the last good FF though. FF13 onwards, wow, whoever designed those should die from 1000 needles :) (reference).

Which of the older ones have you played?
kdawg88 wrote: the characters are pretty interesting in general .
Disagree here. The pirates are cool, but the orphans, the majority of the NPCs..all just meh. The whole story was average imo. I suppose I would have found the characters and story slightly more interesting if it were not the 4th or so time a FF had been set in Ivalice. And I never found the other ones set in Ivalice all that great either. My faves are V VI VII VIII IX and X. All unique worlds, characters etc, though there were re-occuring themes and minor assets, each were an epic journey though . The others bored me as there were no choice in growth of characters, which is what an RPG is primarily about, for me. Gameplay first, then once that is set I am ready to absorb a fantastic story.
FF12 had the gameplay (to some extent, see grinding and bland level design) but everything else just didn't do it for me. Except a couple of the soundtracks anyway. But I saw it through to the end because a game for me can live primarily on gameplay. Otherway round and there is no point in holding the pad/mouse in your hand.

Who you got the hots for, Ashe and Fran? LOL. jk, they are attractive expressions of some japanese dudes perveted imagination, in pixels :P
YeomanTheCastle
UNATCO

Post by YeomanTheCastle »

I'm playing the original Driver, after having played and completed Driver: San Francisco. Great game, especially with the very eccentric gameplay and plot.

Driver, however, I haven't played since about 2004 or something. SF got me in the mood to play it again.