What are you playing?

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: What are you playing?

Post by Jonas »

Yeah? That's when it's released...
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Jonas wrote:Yeah? That's when it's released...
Totally depends on where ya live man. In America it was released today.
Totally valid reason for piracy; YAY!

the last sentence was a joke. Sort of.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

Anyone want to enlighten me on the sudden intrests in games called "Torchlight" and "Borderlands"? Because, I never heard about them... what's the fuss 'bout?

EDIT: Yes, too lazy to google.
Last edited by Hassat Hunter on Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

But when I paid for it they said it would unlock in eleven hours (approx). That's a big ferkin approx. :) @ Hassat. I don't know about Torchlight but Borderlands is FPS/RPG. Reading the blurbs it looks to be a whole lot of fun.
Last edited by bobby 55 on Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

bobby 55 wrote:
But when I paid for it they said it would unlock in eleven hours (approx). That's a big ferkin approx. :)
That's because Steam is run by filthy americans, and its region limitations doesn't show until you've downloaded. They have a real poor understanding of how currency works too.
Hassat Hunter wrote:Anyone want to enlighten me on the sudden intrests in games called "Torchlight" and "Borderlands"? Because, I never heard about them... what's the fuss 'bout?
Diablo 3 sparked an interest in diablo, but it hasn't been released yet, therefore; Diablo clones.
odio ergo sum
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

It had Borderlands Australia as it's title. ftw
Xesum
Illuminati

Post by Xesum »

I like how Modern Warfare 2 uses Steam works, which also means it uses Valve anti-cheat, which also means it doesn't use Punkbuster, I am one happy PC user.

And, because of how great steam is, it will give us the DLC's which are bound to be released over Steam for free. Or is it just me that got the Far Cry 2 Fortunes Pack over steam for free?
Paul, I know you said no phone messages, but South Street's going up in smoke. We'll have to meet at the subway station.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Hassat Hunter wrote:Anyone want to enlighten me on the sudden intrests in games called "Torchlight" and "Borderlands"?
No? :-s
Jaedar wrote:They have a real poor understanding of how currency works too.
Actually that's the publishers' fault. They're the ones that charge extra in certain regions. It actually does make sense - purchase power tends to be lower (uh or should that be higher?) in Europe than in the US - the living costs are higher, so the salaries are higher, and things tend to be more expensive. The only thing is they haven't really grasped that in spite of how fair it may seem, it just doesn't work when the Internet lets you readily compare what you're paying for the exact same product/service in different regions and subsequently feel ripped off when you realise you're paying double what the Yanks are paying.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

They appeared out of nowhere on Steam Hassat. There was no pre release 'fanfare' that I recall seeing. However Borderlands looks like a Shooter with the build your character as you do quests and find stuff. Plus you can drive vehicles. \ 0 /
Xesum
Illuminati

Post by Xesum »

Borderlands sounds like some other game I heard of.
Paul, I know you said no phone messages, but South Street's going up in smoke. We'll have to meet at the subway station.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Jonas wrote:Actually that's the publishers' fault. They're the ones that charge extra in certain regions.
Are you certain? I just assumed that They decided what the price was gonna be in dollars, and then Valve says 1 dollar= 1 Euro, and boom us Swedes pay twice the amount of money now, compared to what we paid when we used dollars. A poor assumption, I admit, but it feels logical.

Either way, I am done with Steam, and I quit the second they started asking me to pay in Euros. Ignorant is what that is, and retarded. And the thing is, I used to use steam even if it was slightly more expensive than a real-life copy, because of the convenience.

To sum up; Steam sucks.
odio ergo sum
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Xesum wrote:Borderlands sounds like some other game I heard of.
Games plural dude. :)
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Jaedar wrote:Are you certain? I just assumed that They decided what the price was gonna be in dollars, and then Valve says 1 dollar= 1 Euro, and boom us Swedes pay twice the amount of money now, compared to what we paid when we used dollars. A poor assumption, I admit, but it feels logical.
Almost entirely certain. Rock Paper Shotgun questioned the Steam people about it back when the transition to local currencies (EUR and GBP) had just taken place, and they explained that the publishers have to maintain the pricing differentiation in order not to undercut their non-digital distribution deals.

I mean I don't know how it compares in Sweden, but buying games on Steam, if I pay in Euros, will still save me a bit of money compared to buying in the shops. It looks a bit different if I buy from online retailers such as Coolshop.dk, which is one of the cheapest retailers in Denmark, and where the prices are usually noticeably lower than Steam's.
Either way, I am done with Steam, and I quit the second they started asking me to pay in Euros. Ignorant is what that is, and retarded. And the thing is, I used to use steam even if it was slightly more expensive than a real-life copy, because of the convenience.
I recommend getting some American friends that you trust real well. I save tons and tons of money by getting some of the Americans I know to purchase and gift me games and then paying them for it via Paypal. For example, Gelo graciously gifted me OFP2: Dragon Rising a few weeks ago, and it cost me just over 200 kr. To buy it from Coolshop, it would've cost me 333 kr. To buy it from a brick and mortar retailer, I would've probably paid just under 400 kr.
To sum up; Steam sucks.
I maintain that Steam is great, it's the way the major publishers use it that sucks :)
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Xesum
Illuminati

Post by Xesum »

Buying games over steam means that you will always have them. Unless you get Vac-Banned, but that has the same effect as getting evicted from your house.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Buying off Steam saves me fifty percent (approx) in a lot of cases compared to store prices. Go figure.