What are your TV Shows?

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Jane_Denton
X-51

What are your TV Shows?

Post by Jane_Denton »

It's a storm day here in my neck of the woods... and I am bored... :giggle:

I'm wondering what your favorite tv shows are.... \:D/

I've got a few from crime drama's to cartoons...! :teeth:

To name a few......and in no particular order.... 8)

Cartoons

Ben 10 Alien Force, (Ben 10)
BAS
Futurama
Witch Hunter Robin (RIP :( )

TV shows

CSI (all of em)
Dexter
Criminal Minds
Waking the Dead
Silent Witness
Castle (Nathan Fillion! :smile: )
Fringe
NCIS (NOT LA ... +o( )
Supernatural
House (Love him!!! :mrgreen: )
Sanctuary
Last edited by Jane_Denton on Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Who we are is but a stepping stone to what we can become...
bobby 55
Illuminati

Re: What are your TV Shows?

Post by bobby 55 »

Well I don't watch heaps of TV, in the interests of posting however......

Cartoons
The Simpsons

TV Shows

Doctor Who
BostonLegal
Jeopardy
Law and Order SVU
The History Channel (when there's something rivetting).
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

I'ma Liking this thread :mrgreen:

I don't watch much TV either but here goes..

Cartoons
Simpsons
Futurama :mrgreen:

TV Shows
Doctor Who :mrgreen:
House (Yes he is awesome :P )
Fringe (Badass :P )
Bones
Lie To Me
Stargate :P
Fresh Prince of Bel Air (Haha Love This)

Or whatever else i can find on the Tele at the time :smile:
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Cartoons:
Used to watch Futurama, but I've seen all de episodes.

Tv Shows:
House
Big Bang Theory
Firefly
Doctor Who, although the new Doctor looks to be an emo.
Stargate Univerase.
Scrubs

although There's only one of those I watch on the TV, the rest I consume digitally.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Jane_Denton
X-51

Post by Jane_Denton »

I've included fave ones I used to watch but haven't recently along with present ones... :mrgreen:

Oh yeah these too....are on my list as well.... which I'm sure I'll add more since there've been a whole lotta shows! :teeth:

Firefly was NOT happy when it was cancelled.....
Stargate Universe
Stargate Atlantis... was NOT happy when it was cancelled...
Bones
Lie to me

There are still a few seasons of Silent Witness that I haven't seen!!! :cry: Can't seem to find them anywhere either... It's a UK show and I'm in Canada...
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

In the used to watch: Deadwood....... Damn you to hell Home Box Office for cancelling that great show.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

Jane_Denton wrote: Stargate Universe
Stargate Atlantis... was NOT happy when it was cancelled...
Bones
Lie to me
SKY ONE FTW :lol:
Stargate Universe.. I don't really watch that one .. I watched the first few episodes and got bored.. :/ It isnt as good as SG-1 and Atlantis.. :D
I wasnt happy when Atlantis was cancelled.. <_<
That was brillaint :D Had A good ending to it though..
Did SG-1 actually have an ending? :-k

lol :P Good Times :)
Jaedar wrote:Doctor Who, although the new Doctor looks to be an emo.
I think he might be quite a good doctor :)
I didnt like Catherine Tate in Doctor Who though..
I couldnt take her seriously ..
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

nerdenstein wrote:Did SG-1 actually have an ending? :-k
It ended with a movie. Spoilers: The bad guys lost.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Kee715
Illuminati

Post by Kee715 »

Cartoons:
Futurama
Family Guy
Ben 10
Chowder (My little brother watches it, I will watch it if the TV is tuned to it but not many other times)
Looney Tunes
And Tom & Jerry

Anime:
Lucky Star
(This list needs expanding as the ONLY anime I have watched is L*S V_V )

TV Shows:
How it's Made
Mythbusters
Modern Marvels

But, TV is not how I spend my time. The Internet is how I spend my time. :mrgreen:
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

Cartoons
Disney ones

Anime
Fuck Anime

TV Series
Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis

And pretty much all of them on DVD, don't watch TV (hell, I don't even *have* a TV).
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

SG-1 had two endings, three if you count the last episode of the series.

The last episode of the series concluded all of their ongoing things with the Asgard. I wouldn't count that as a proper ending since the Asgard, while important, were never the main story.

To get the first proper ending you have to go to the first SG-1 movie, which was an end to the Ori storyline.
The second movie was also an ending of sorts. It concluded Baal's story and in so doing also finally ended the Goa'uld storyline.

What follows is a rant about Stargate Universe.

-

Stargate Universe I couldn't get into. I've watched all but one of the aired episodes (that one being the last one which I could never bring myself to watch) and can even say with honesty that I like some of the characters. The problem I have isn't that it's boring, although I have trouble arguing against that point, it's... well my problems are many.

One is that there is a dearth of likability on the show. There's no one to connect to. They somehow managed to populate the ship almost, but not quite, entirely with assholes. And the only person who's not on the ship who makes regular appearances is a bigger asshole than all the assholes on the ship combined. The premise of the show is that these people are stuck far away and want to get home, so to be truly engaged you kind of need to care about them getting home. I don't. For the most part I think earth is better off without them.

The other thing is that while it was apparently supposed to be a "more mature" Stargate show it doesn't feel that way to me. It feels more juvenile. Yes, there are more sex scenes. A lot more sex scenes. I don't buy that that makes things more mature. And having two people switch bodies while one of them was having sex might have served a purpose, but did we really need to see it happen repeatedly? And if we're not watching people having sex we're watching someone imagine that his drunk depressed friend (who just saw the facade that was her life come crashing down around her) is making out with him. Or watching people try to spy on a woman in her underwear. (The truly sad part: the two who make the attempt are among the most mature likable characters around.)

While the above makes the show sound as if it was written by a horny teenage boy, the show actually reminded me of nothing so much as a certain type of preteen girl I have encountered. (I've never encountered the male counterpart, but I'm sure he exists.) It's the little girl who wants to be grown up, but doesn't know how, she wants to be deep, but doesn't understand what that means. So she piles makeup on thick, wears dark clothing (often clothing that is theoretically sexy except her body hasn't developed that far), and talks about non-childish things. Or at least what she thinks are non-childish things. Which is to say dark and sad (because kid's stuff is bright and happy, so adults must be all about darkness and ... nevermind.) She may even insist on being called by a new name like "Lady Raven," or "Shadow, Mistress of the Night," or "Mistress Skia of the Dusk, Princess of Darkness and Shadow, Goddess of the Night" or something equally pretentious and wall bangy. You look at her and aren't sure whether to find it funny or sad. You comfort yourself in the knowledge that she will one day grow out of it. You hope.

Stargate Universe, what I have seen of it, reminds me very much of that. It's trying to be deep, it's trying to be adult, but it doesn't seem to know how. It seems to be trying to grab at all the outward appearances of more mature programing without really thinking about why it works. Which has, from my view point, worked just as well as the preteen who puts on makeup because she knows adults wear it without understanding what makeup is for. Yes, there is mature programing that includes sex scenes, and dark broken characters, and hopelessness, things that seem to drag on forever, and various other things that Stargate Universe throws in, but simply throwing them into the mix doesn't make something mature.

I think, though cannot be sure, that an idea of what the people behind the show think a more grown up show has to be when Eli, the (adult) kid of the show, is told to grow up and start lying because "that's what adults do." If you're making a more mature/adult/grown up/whatever you want to call it show and that's your idea of what that means I'm not surprised you end up with Stargate Universe.

As far as I'm concerned they already had mature. Fore example, there is the episode of Stargate SG-1 where Daniel finally catches up with his wife. Remember, the entire reason he was there for the entire show up to this point was he was hoping to rescue his wife (who had been taken to be used as a host for a parasite that can take over human bodies) whatever he was doing up to that point, whatever mission he was on, he had a larger goal driving him and that goal was to rescue his wife. Everything else was keeping himself in a position to do that and doing things along the way.

So he catches up to her, she's still under the control of the parasite, and she tries to kill him. Nearly succeeds. Teal'c, one of Daniel's best friends, saves Daniel by killing her. I want to repeat that. For years Daniel's entire reason for being was to save his wife. Instead his wife was killed to save him. He ends up responsible for the death of the person he was trying to save. And the one who actually pulled the trigger? One of his closest friends.

That was more mature than anything Stargate Universe has done or tried to do. It was more mature than a thousand sex scenes, or imaginary make out sessions, or characters being assholes, or adults being adults by lying.
Jane_Denton
X-51

Post by Jane_Denton »

Hassat Hunter wrote: don't watch TV (hell, I don't even *have* a TV).
What's a TV? ;) I do everything on the puter... with high speed cable... :teeth: no cable tv needed... =D>
Boltersdriveer
UNATCO

Post by Boltersdriveer »

Jane_Denton wrote:
Hassat Hunter wrote: don't watch TV (hell, I don't even *have* a TV).
What's a TV? ;) I do everything on the puter... with high speed cable... :teeth: no cable tv needed... =D>
Sadly, i do not watch TV at all. :P
Jane_Denton
X-51

Post by Jane_Denton »

Boltersdriveer wrote:Sadly, i do not watch TV at all. :P
Your a gamer that's all that matters.... :P
Xesum
Illuminati

Post by Xesum »

I watch Doctor Who, comical Panel quiz shows and I also watch CSI
Paul, I know you said no phone messages, but South Street's going up in smoke. We'll have to meet at the subway station.