From the genius that brough you the UM and VADB: JSPaint!

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Master_Kale
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

From the genius that brough you the UM and VADB: JSPaint!

Post by Master_Kale »

Hey guys, I just completed a web-based paint "program" (for lack of a better word) that's like MSPaint in your browser!

Go to http://jspaint.knwd.us and give it a try! Please, as always, feedback is greatly appreciated ^_^

For anyone who's interested, JSPaint is made entirely with XHTML and inline Javascript and CSS. I wanted to make this easily deployable and entirely client-based to preserve server load, so the entire page is generated on the client's computer.

The only thing I couldn't do client-side was allow users to save their image. For that, I whipped up a PHP script on a separate page that takes an array of all the cells and their colors and spits out a PNG of whatever you drew. I didn't link to that page because the main JSPaint page tells you where to go for that.

I optimized as much of it as I could think of, so its quite responsive regardless of if your computer is top-of-the-line or not. I still have a few things left to fix and add to the system, but for all intents and purposes its done!

And post some of your work! I'm curious to see what you guys can do with it!
Last edited by Master_Kale on Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fox
X-51

Post by fox »

Cool! Works very well. Everything's selfexplaining and wihtout unnecessary features. An even smaller brushsize would be nice.
NVShacker
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by NVShacker »

DHTML is cool, obviously there's no real practical value here but it's always good to see what you can do. My only major design suggestion would be to encode the php file save url and redirect with location.href or open a new window with it instead of the copy and paste silliness.
NVShacker
Are you still there?
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Interesting proof of concept. I've set up Firefox in some way to break it though...which is weird, since I do filtering through privoxy.org and enable everything in my browsers. Disabling privoxy does nothing. No extensions, Java/JS completely enabled. "Loading..." blinks then disappears.

My legendary hatred of any web technology more advanced than HTML4 aside ;-), it's interesting how much can be done in scripting over the web now.
Master_Kale
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by Master_Kale »

NVShacker wrote:My only major design suggestion would be to encode the php file save url and redirect with location.href or open a new window with it instead of the copy and paste silliness.
That's an interesting suggestion, and one that I've heard before. I'll have to look into a good way of sending the color array to the PHP page so the user's not so inconvenienced.
justanotherfan wrote:Interesting proof of concept. I've set up Firefox in some way to break it though...which is weird, since I do filtering through privoxy.org and enable everything in my browsers. Disabling privoxy does nothing. No extensions, Java/JS completely enabled. "Loading..." blinks then disappears.
What do you mean, your Firefox breaks it? I'm curious what exactly goes wrong; is it just that "Loading..." blinks, then disappears? If so, that's intended...I wanted to give users a graphical means of seeing that something is going on, rather than try to draw right away while the canvas is still loading, so I set that text to blink and as soon as the canvas is loaded, it deletes that blinking test.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Well I'm using IE7 and the save and reset functions don't seem to work. Other stuff works fine, though.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Oh, nevermind. I have colours off. It works, with privoxy on as well.

With colours off, all one sees is text, the blinking loading text, and then that's gone. There are no GUI elements, just blocks of colour. I'm anticipating a UI nightmare of nonstandard webapps in the future.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

I did that in your program Kale. pretty cool.. needs an undo function and paint sample tool. but pretty good. ran fine in FF.
Master_Kale
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by Master_Kale »

SnipaMasta wrote:Well I'm using IE7 and the save and reset functions don't seem to work. Other stuff works fine, though.
Well, there's your problem, you're using IE7...I supported it up to a point, but I coded it to work as intended in FF. Since its not a professional project, I can do that :P

I'll look into getting it to work with IE7, but I would STRONGLY suggest that you migrate yourself to Firefox for the sake of everyone's sanity. :)

And CP, zOMG, that's awesome! Wow, I'm blown away :D
Hashi
Silhouette

Post by Hashi »

Master_Kale
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by Master_Kale »

Shame on you, you went through the trouble of using Print Screen when you could have just used the included "Save" function... :P
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

Mr. Mutant gives your program three thumbs up.
Master_Kale
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by Master_Kale »

I should spawn another page with all of your guy's paintings :D
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

PE'NUT BUTTER JEHLLY TIME ! PE'NUT BUTTER JEHLLY TIME !
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

btw I'm the biggest Sonic fan ever.. so yeah I can do this without having to look at a picture :D (this is what happens when u do fan games when you are 10 years old lol :D)