Red Faction: Source needs YOU!

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Zeitgeist
UNATCO

Red Faction: Source needs YOU!

Post by Zeitgeist »

I am here on behalf of a new HL2 mod, Red Faction: Source. We aim to bring the classic Geo-Mod shooter Red Faction back into the spotlight.

Our team is just coming together, right now we only have 4 members. We need YOU!

According to the mod leader Trezza, we need the following positions filled:

Texture Artist

texture artist.. one of the easier jobs, if you are good at making textures for maps e.g rock, stone, metal or can make textures for guns, then we could use your help with red faction: source, pm me, email or post on the forums (link is on my site) to join the team.

Player Modeler

player modeler. one of the most important parts of a mod. there was a couple of player models in red faction and i need a couple of player modelers so help would be nice... thx

GFX artist

If you can remember the layouts of multi-player maps in red faction, and the shape of the weapons well and you can draw then please help me out if i can get a team we will need help with concept drawings for the the game, so p.m or email me (traymayne@hotmail.com)

Weapon Animator

A weapon animator would come in handy so if u got the skills pm (trezza) or email (traymayne@hotmail.com) me to get ur part in this hopefully good mod (red faction source)

Mapper

I need at least three mappers to help out with red faction: source as thee is a total of 23 maps that need to be in this mod, mappers dont need to be extremely good at mapping as most maps are fairly simple

Coder

hello, i need a coder to help make Red Faction: Source Possible
If you think you have the skills please help out, drop me an e-mail at Traymayne@hotmail.com, send me a p.m. or go to the forums link on my site, this is the most important part of the mod so please help make rf: s happen

If you want to apply, please visit our ModDB Page or e-mail Trezza at Traymayne@hotmail.com
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Why wasn't this posted by Trezza? it says he is the PR guy..

Dude seriously if you want to help your mod project, get the PR guy to do all your promotional stuff. And a word of advice. Don't go recruiting for a Source game in a Unreal dominated territory because ... well.. you won't get a lot of results really. And plus a lot of our talented people are already working on HDTP or on other projects.

I'd advise you develop your mod some more and come back later.. Blow us away and I'm positive you'll fill those positions quickly. AND please let the PR guy handle it because its suppose to be his job. That's how mod teams are meant to work. :D

But the idea sounds cool, and I'd love to know how the fuck you're gonna get Geomod to work in Source.

Plus also.. you shouldn't need to produce concept art for things that have already been modeled. I'd advise you just screen cap the models in their editor and work off the originals. Concept art really isn't necessary for a Revision/Rebirth/Remake Mod. just look at HDTP because I never saw a single drawing of anything.
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

Source, isn't that the new Unreal engine?
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Are you going to add a proper story to it?

Far as I recall the first couple of levels of Red Faction were brilliant, then it plunged head-first into genericalness. The undercover levels were a nice try, but it didn't really help all that much. The flying level was decent though.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

How the hell are you gonna pull off geomod in Source? If you aren't, and are just porting over the game without destructible environments, forget about it.
It's possible for you to create a destructible wall, of course, but that wall, when it receives sufficient damage, will gib as a whole, not have holes blown in it. Any holes or damage to the map will have to be premade and modeled, which would fail ultra hard and not look like Red Faction at all (and also run slow as hell, since dynamic brushes like destructible walls don't block the player view and anything behind them renders in full).
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

EER wrote:Source, isn't that the new Unreal engine?
The Half Life 2 engine. Hence Day Of Defeat : Source, Counter Strike : Source etc.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I think he was joking.

You were joking, right?

EER? You were joking. Right?
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

of course I was joking ;)
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

*Phew*! :shock:
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

If I weren't joking, I think that would be very high up my top 10 list of "dumbest things I have ever said" ;)
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

I really don't see why people think porting to source is necessary... Like really.. Why on earth does everything have to be remade for source? can't we use other engines like Unreal3?
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

It's because everything is not source, so you need to port it if you want to run it in HL2.
:roll:
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

Mr_Cyberpunk wrote:I really don't see why people think porting to source is necessary... Like really.. Why on earth does everything have to be remade for source? can't we use other engines like Unreal3?
Unreal 3 is just as unlikely of geomod as Source is. :?
CryptoQuick
Thug

Post by CryptoQuick »

Apparently, deformable terrain is difficult, even today.

I'm not really sure why that is, though. I've heard explanations concerning voxels, but... Why can't they just use some sort of model/mesh editing engine within the game?
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

CryptoQuick wrote:Apparently, deformable terrain is difficult, even today.

I'm not really sure why that is, though. I've heard explanations concerning voxels, but... Why can't they just use some sort of model/mesh editing engine within the game?
They did with the Geomod engine of Red Faction. :P Problem is, it doesn't lend itself to high details, pretty graphics, or typical gameplay and level design standards.
Also, there's a function in Source to take a terrain brush and warp the vertices of it on trigger towards a certain point. It doesn't update the collusion hull, though.
(and I never did manage to get it working >_>)

Oh, I remember a few playstation games that could do deformable terrain, too, most notably Vigilante 8. With the mortar weapon when it hit the ground it bent the earth into a rounded crater. They were dynamically created, and if nobody was around they'd bend back upwards and the ground'd be flat again.