Red Faction: Source needs YOU!

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Fulgrymm
UNATCO

Post by Fulgrymm »

They'd bend back up even if you were there to watch it. If you're in it when it's happening, you sometimes get launched into the air. I'm pretty sure it was V8 Second Offense though, cause that's the one that introduced the various special attacks that weapons have. Regular mortar attacks didn't do diddly squat to the terrain. Or other cars for that matter.
fox
X-51

Post by fox »

Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Fracture looks amazing btw. I was like OMFG big ball of dirt :D Looks fun, excellent use of physics.
Dead-eye
X-51

Post by Dead-eye »

Red Fraction...Never played it.

I don't think this is the best place to look for moders, because everyone hear is ether working on a mod for deus ex, waiting for a mod for deus ex, or a big fan of deus ex. And I would guess that the people who aren't working know vary little about making mods, much less making mods for the source engine. Plus if you managed to get one of are talented people to work on this mod it's less likely HDTP will be finished (however unlikely that may be) and even more likely Deus Ex Reborn will not be finished.

So please will people stop posting "come work on this mod" threads that have nothing to do with deus ex. It's sort of undermining the deus ex community.

We as the Deus Ex Community are working on our goles that we need to get done.

We NEED to get HDTP done.
We NEED to get Deus Ex Reborn done.
We NEED to get mods like MIB, TNM and UNATCO Born done.

It's why we as the Deus Ex Community are still around, and if our mods die we die.
Last edited by Dead-eye on Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

and we need NV done :P

DE is right though Tonnochi. You've picked an awful place to post, your idea doesn't sound very thought out, your team is too small and presently have only concept art to show. Also I don't see any design document so I can assume you guys are just going blindly. Not such a great idea when working on a port which requires you to rebuild the gameplay. (Geomod will no doubt need to be re-designed for Source)

The easiest way to make the Geo Mod is use the Paralax Mapping or what ever the proper term is, that should let you make holes in things and do it pretty efficiently.

I don't think you are in a position to be recruiting at this stage. Produce some real work, get the thing started and then post it on ModDBs forums because thats where you SHOULD be recruiting from. And last but not least.. Be prepared to work without any help because chances are you won't find a lot of people because it takes so long to make a game/mod.

Just some advice. But please avoid hiring help via OTP because its a deviation against the major restoration and modding efforts that are on offer here. And most likely you won't get good results on this forum as we're already attached to multiple projects.
CryptoQuick
Thug

Post by CryptoQuick »

Mr_Cyberpunk wrote:The easiest way to make the Geo Mod is use the Paralax Mapping or what ever the proper term is, that should let you make holes in things and do it pretty efficiently.
Parallax Mapping is just a texture technique. It won't affect the actual geometry of the map, which is what we're all talking about. :)
Dead-eye
X-51

Post by Dead-eye »

Sorry if a came off as a little harsh. It's just that when I come here to the OTP forums and find a post saying "WE NEED YOU" for a game that has nothing to do with the Deus Ex community it kinda ticks me off a little bit. We are here because we are fans of Deus Ex and are watching the new mods that are coming out for it, TNM, HDTP. And after HDTP is done we will need all the help we can get to get Deus Ex Reborn out the door. (Hopefully for UT2007 as well before the year 3000) but when someone post a thread about needing help with another mod that has nothing to do with Deus Ex, you are intensionally making are already small community smaller, undermining us and destroying us.

I don't mind people posting about cool stuff like "hay look at this cool mod we are making" but recruiting for some other project that is not Deus Ex related, or OTP related, is kinda backstabbing.

So please respect the Deus Ex community and don't recruit for non-Deus Ex or OTP related mods here.
CryptoQuick
Thug

Post by CryptoQuick »

It helps to be diplomatic about the matter. Maybe I was just lucky, but perhaps in how I phrased the post and also how much work we've already put into our project helped to get a rather positive response. Remember this thread?
viewtopic.php?t=1054
fox
X-51

Post by fox »

I actually do think this is the wrong place for this post but I can't see how it should be harmful to the community / active mods. I don't think there are many people willing to leave their longtime-DX-mods just to begin a ambigous new project for another game.
Dead-eye
X-51

Post by Dead-eye »

The thing that really got to me was manly that this threads name is 'Red Fraction: source NEEDS YOU" :?

But yes I should say that I don't completely agree with asking for help here unless it has something to do with deus ex or OTP productions, but a game engine in my mind might help the community.

Maybe I'm overreacting. :P
CryptoQuick
Thug

Post by CryptoQuick »

No one here knows this, but the original reason I got involved in OpenFrag was because it would eventually help me to create a game concept I've been working on for... over a year now. It's a game very similar to Deus Ex. I'm not about to plug my game concept in this thread, though. :)
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

Anyway, I seriously doubt you could copy the geomod system in a BSP based engine like Unreal, Source, or Quake/Doom, anyway. Red Faction's holes worked by drawing a rough sphere of what would be the unreal equivalent of a subtract brush, intersecting it with nearby solid geometry, and updating the collision hull around it. In some cases you could create interesting glitches around the explosion spheres where they would form in midair, outside the level geometry where its supposed to be.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Why couldn't they just make RF3?!

Also logically it'd be more smarter to port RF1 to RF2.. Not source.
Zeitgeist
UNATCO

Post by Zeitgeist »

I don't get porting to Source either. Trezza needed help so I helped.

No takers?