I was pokemon

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

justanotherfan
Illuminati

I was pokemon

Post by justanotherfan »

Hey, I'm getting into Pokemon again, maybe. What game do I want to play?
--
Nintendo targeted Pokemon Blue/Red at people younger than me, but I was hyped about it before it was released here, even taped the cartoon, and walked with a poketamagochi. When newer games came out, I was out of the trend. Now I'm watching the cartoon again, reliving it. I could get new batteries for my gameboy, or play one of the newer games. Which is best? White/Black are newest, but there's Crystal, Silver, Diamond, Platinum, Quartzite, Gray, Umami...

I'd rather not memorize all 973 thousand new punny names, and I don't want to spend a year playing, so LeafGreen/FireRed "enhanced" could be classic for me. Even basic handheld 3D could be good, but there's no complete Gamecube/Wii version for modern graphics. Are there any Pokemon Experts (or Pokesperts) here?
miguel
UNATCO

Re: I was pokemon

Post by miguel »

I only played the old Red edition, that shit was adicting, it was probably the first RPG game i finished. Never liked the cartoon and that's why i lost the interest i gues.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Yeah, Ash is 10 years old IIRC in the cartoon. There's some honestly funny bits, but I'm watching for nostalgia, and only the first season. The show is repetitive, predictable, and they've used distractingly cheap animation shortcuts in every scene. It performed its function -- kids memorized pokemon, could imagine the animated battle in the game, and everyone knows who Pikachu is. Still, Pokemon got big, and it was suddenly for 6 yearolds.

The game was addictive. There were no RPG dwarfs or elves. Walking around specific grass tiles, levelling up while searching for Ditto or Salamonkey or Pontefract, that was lame. Still, all the strategy, and the whole idea of training pets to humanely battle, that was cool. Kinda sociopathic now that I think back, but they'd only faint, and then heal in the Pokemon Hospital microwave.

I'm thinking the FireRed/etc could be best for me, a modernized original Pokemon game. Black/White could be alienating, but a new story would be nice.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

justanotherfan wrote: I'm thinking the FireRed/etc could be best for me, a modernized original Pokemon game. Black/White could be alienating, but a new story would be nice.
These two are probably the best ones.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Morpheus
X-51

Post by Morpheus »

I have watched pokemon series since its beginning (except missed have of the series in Johto and didn't see the Chronicles episodes until I got them on DVD) but I think its nostalgia for me really, why I have been watching pokemon episodes now. The UK is way behind US on airing new pokmeon episodes. We have (I think) only got to the epsidoe where Brock said he wanted to be a pokemon Doctor and Ash and Brock went home to Kanto whereas US has seen quite a few Best Wishes episodes.

I play pokemon games (Pearl, Platinum, HeartGold and Pokemon White are the only games for my DS) I also have Sapphire and FireRed for GBA, both I liked. I remember when Ruby/Sapphire came out, people wanted new pokemon, but when the first were not things like pidgy, rattata etc... people wanted old pokemon back instead of new ones, didn't really make sense. Anyway, there is one thing about the pokemon games I find boring (they have improved, both graphically and storyline/gameplay) granted they are still good games, but the games lack anything much to do past the end of the main plot. I was hoping B&W would have had a battle frontier, but nope. Not even a tower as in most other first two main pokemon games (not remakes) then third brings battle frontier (Ruby/Sapphire = Tower, Emerald = Frontier then Diamond/Pearl = Tower, Platinum = Frontier etc...)
Black/White could be alienating
Well it was time for a change and the characters in it do seem a little older than the 10 year olds we are used to seeing. The graphics were much improved, the gameplay could have had more padding and more to do past end of the storyline besides just mainly battle some people and collect pokemon to fill the pokedex.
My nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
My whistle/flute videos (and some other videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/DXMorpheus
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Local store had each game for 60$ (~USD). I'll still play though. I still have the Nintendo Power strategy guides.

I think I'll play Fireleaf Greenred first. Maybe Red since I chose Blue originally (careful consideration!), and didn't like plant pokemon (I like a balanced team of 6 extreme pokemon, not individually balanced moderate pokemon).

When I finish, I'll maybe play Blackwhite. Since Washibon and Gochimu and Monmen and Yuniran sound like a bag of Japanese scrabble tiles, do I want black or white?

Thanks for the help in choosing. I don't start threads, but when Pokemon went from fascinating Japanese phenomenon to local media hyperfranchise, I joined the people who mispronounced Pechepu's name and started shooting people in Quake 3 etc.. I'm clueless to pokemon post-1998.
---

I don't want new pokemon. 152 was too many already (nobody remembers Tauros), so 650 is asinine, but adding special ones near the end of a game would be interesting. I'd prefer the ability to try un-levelled-up pokemon in battles; my pigeot from Pallet destroyed mythical and endgame pokemon, so I never tried Galapagos. More attacks or varied characters would work better than just more animals.

Still watching the first season, EP34; there's actually 82 episodes this season (yeah). When you see the cheap tricks, you'll know why: characters don't move when talking, _every_ transition slides in and out (instead of actual animating), many scenes are 1fps, and various characters repeat or recoagulate (Joy nurse, the policewoman, the old lady and her cousin....) to save on voice talent. Most characters sound suspiciously like Ash/Misty/Brock already. Removing the intro/outro/quiz, I timed one full episode at 16min, and that's not counting the "Blast off at the speed of light!" type repetition, recapping the last few episodes, and post-commercial recaps. Some of the tricks are cinematic, but it's painful. I understand limited animation is a postwar anime tradition, but this art was needlessly cranked out. I like it, but it'll be even more decades before I watch again. The uncensored bits from the first season are funny.

Anyone like later Pokemation? Maybe the movies had a fair budget? I never saw movies or other series.

I'm seeing some real parallels to dog and cockfighting. It's distracting when the game made it harmless. These slave animals are beating eachother, setting their opponents on fire or electrocuting them, and all the caring-trainer "Rush to the pokemon hospital!" makes the fighting worse. Sociopathic children. It needs some ethical out, like "Pokemon can't feel pain".

I really like Brock. He's the knowledgeable older brother, imperfect and desperate for companionship in puberty, while acting the adult role for his siblings. Simple, but postmodern, he's the perfect supervising companion for the empowered child. Misty is a tomboy character, which is more complex than usual, but still stock and not worthy of the praise it gets. The stories are interesting, with some references (eg. The Poseidon Adventure), and the voiceacting is occasionally good, but the dialog is generally godawful.
--

There's some hilarious pokemon images-

And of course, the Mr. Fish chronicles-
http://thepunchlineismachismo.com/archives/132
http://thepunchlineismachismo.com/archives/141
http://thepunchlineismachismo.com/archives/150
http://thepunchlineismachismo.com/archives/527

And there's some fun memes that criticize the game mechanics-
http://memedepot.com/search/pokemon
Morpheus
X-51

Post by Morpheus »

I remember when Heart Gold/Soul Silver was out for a while, much of the fans said there was going to be a third version to those games (like Platinum or Emerald) and some had many great reasons why there was going to be a third version and what it should contain, but myself, I knew the way Game Freak thought, and it wasn't as deeply as some fans did, so I knew the 5th Gen was around the corner then.

My first game play was Silver, but I didn't own it, just borrowed it, loved the unown and then had Yellow (It annoyed me to no end) got lost in Varidian forest for hours trying to leave, accidently overwrite my pikachus only electric move, didn't have a grass pokemon or a fighting one, found it quite hard getting past Misty.

FireRed/Leaf Green were good since they had the Sevii islands, but the drawback was not much to do on the islands, expanding them would have helped them greatly. The battle tower was good for an extra thing though. The ruins were a little disappointing as there was not much in them or to do with them.

Did you know, so far Ruby/Sapphire are the only pokemon games that haven't yet been remade? Red/Green was in FireRed/LeafGreen and Gold/Silver was in HeartGold/SoulSilver and not only this, since Ruby/Sapphire, each generation of games has included a remake? Some think Hoenn would be in Gen 5 main games somehow, maybe a remake?
My nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
My whistle/flute videos (and some other videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/DXMorpheus
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Dunno, I was hoping for a Pokemon Wii game. Not just a 3D battle simulator using stats uploaded from a gameboy, but the original game in colour and more modern 3D. It was what I hoped SuperGameboy and 64DD's Pokemon could have started. Imagine the game Bully with pokemon.

White/black's gameplay looks kinda samey, but graphically improved. I'd compare it to Zelda SNES's graphics, except the pokemon still gesture or shiver at eachother from across the screen.

Graphically, Fire/Leaf seems well improved over the originals as well....makes White/Black seem less impressive as well. Fire/Leaf may be enough for me, but I'll try white/black.

--

I just read some of the external criticism of the games. It's all crap, like "They used a backwards swastika somewhere!" (buddhist symbol), it's teaching kids evolution (nope), and that it violates christian/muslim morality.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

I got FireRed, hypercheap from a friend. Apparently new Pokemon games are due.

I'm disappointed the annoying "levelling up" gameplay imbalance is still there, charring a thousand lv2 pidgies in the grass outside Pewter. I'm at Charmander/Rattata/Butterfree/Pikachu/Ekans/Pidgey...My original teams would include Butterfree and Pigeot. I've run up to the SSAnne, and I remember the game finishes fast afterward. At least the game hasn't changed much at all. I'm forgetting that 2004 was a long time ago, and only a few years after I stopped playing. I expect gameplay improvements in White/Black.

At EP65, but I skipped a bunch I'll watch first. These shows fly by, especially while I work. I didn't even get epilepsy from the Porygon episode.

Seems people are still into pokemon, even old people. I thought I was being weird playing pokemon again, but apparently it's completely normal for weird people.

No suggestions for Pokemon White/Black discrimination? Or about the films?
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Legendary pokemon JAF used Thricepost! Decade-old spoiler ahead. And don't worry, if there's no interest, I forgot Quadpost.

In FireRed, just waiting for sliph scope. Charizard/Pigeot/Gyrados/butterfree, with meowth and ratta for Cut&Flash and slowly wearing down uncaptured pokemon. The game is nostalgically classic, but hasn't aged well, especially with the grinding leveling-up; the concept and mechanics feel fresh, so I'm looking forward to beating the Elite Four and trying Black or White.

Finished Pokemon S01. The tournament rules are confusingly different from the game, and I think mafia kidnapping is a mitigating circumstance. Ritchie is Ideal AshClone, so he's a lame plot device. The last episode was warm and fuzzy enough though. The ending was uncomfortable, but ideal, as Ash's Charizard defeat was unsatisfying. The animation didn't improve. I might watch the first movie, to see higher-budget animation version of a S01 timeframe show.

Here's some more sorta-funny images-
(after Elite4, there's nothing singleplayer)
(Oak's proximity to Ash's mum is curiously constant. Some figure Oak is Ash's father)
fantsu
UNATCO

Post by fantsu »

Pokemon? Ummmm... What?
What about Care Bears?
Bravery is not a function of firepower.
My "Deus Ex - Conspiracy" run on emulator
Alex Jacobson: They'll have you killed. They won't even blink an eye.
JC Denton: Neither did I.
Amelia546
Mole Person

Post by Amelia546 »

justanotherfan wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:05 am
Dunno, I was hoping for a Pokemon Wii game. Not just a 3D battle simulator using stats uploaded from a gameboy, but the original game in colour and more modern 3D. It was what I hoped SuperGameboy and 64DD's Pokemon could have started. Imagine the game Bully with pokemon or get Pokemon cards pricing details at collectorpricing.org.

White/black's gameplay looks kinda samey, but graphically improved. I'd compare it to Zelda SNES's graphics, except the pokemon still gesture or shiver at eachother from across the screen.

Graphically, Fire/Leaf seems well improved over the originals as well....makes White/Black seem less impressive as well. Fire/Leaf may be enough for me, but I'll try white/black.

--

I just read some of the external criticism of the games. It's all crap, like "They used a backwards swastika somewhere!" (buddhist symbol), it's teaching kids evolution (nope), and that it violates christian/muslim morality.
As an enthusiast of Pokémon games, I can understand your desire for a more immersive and visually appealing experience. It seems you were hoping for a Pokémon game on the Wii console that went beyond just a 3D battle simulator using stats uploaded from a Game Boy. You envisioned a game that retained the original gameplay but with modernized 3D graphics in full color. You even mentioned the potential of a Pokémon game similar to "Bully" but with Pokémon elements.