Virus attacks

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

bobby 55
Illuminati

Virus attacks

Post by bobby 55 »

Geez, where to start. The fake Microsoft Security Essentials grabbed me last week. It's fucking horrific. The brother inlaw has just arrived with some tips from his computer tech buddy. He managed to clean the over heating PC and that's what I'm using to warn you if you don't already know about it. It just launches and won't allow you to use the Task Manager or your browser. I think it jumped into my system when I was trying to download a free program.

Updated: The computer with the virus won't even post so it's going with the brother inlaw and he'll take it back to the shop. I'm suspecting dodgy RAM but who knows?
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
gamer0004
Illuminati

Re: Virus attacks

Post by gamer0004 »

Man that really sucks :( You've been having problems with computers for such a long time now. I've never heard of a fake Security Essentials before, but I typically avoid anything which claims to be anti-virus software which isn't downloaded directly from a reliable source.

Computer not even posting is kind of weird though. Isn't it a problem related to your power supply?
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

You are probably correct. The brother inlaw powered it up but the fans started for like 3 seconds and stopped whirring. It's a Cooler Power and I don't know what the quality is like with that brand. It looks as though it's imitating Cooler Master so that probably says more than enough. I'd throw a Corsair in but the brother inlaw has taken the PC home with him. They're going on a trip so there won't be any progress for 6 weeks. I should be able to save a bit towards a computer that's not cursed in that time. :P
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

This thread name should be changed to Bobby's Computer Dilemma's. :mrgreen:

I must admit, I used to think Microsoft Security Essentials was a fake Anti-Virus but my best friend's uncle is an IT expert and he uses it and I've seen PCGamer mention it.
I guess you just grabbed an actual 'fake' one, easy done. I've done it in the past with other programs. :(
I know I am totally paranoid about downloading and virus' and such. I don't usually torrent things of Pirate bay and the like either. I actually buy music too.
That's not just a sense of morality and that it's the right thing to do, it's also because I am so paranoid. :lol: 8-[
This is coming from the guy that is considering studying Computer Security at University. :mrgreen:

Also, I've still got an old (pretty decent spec though, Duel Core 2.0Ghz Xeon Motherboard with 2Gb RAM) machine that won't post either. It's my Dad's old one. The power supply went on it, and it was an usual make so it was tough to find one that fit the same requirements. I managed to (with the help of an IT Technician friend) get one that was almost the same so it would boot up. The fans would spin but no beeps. I took out the RAM and individually tried each one to make sure it wasn't that, still nothing. I think I safely assumed it was the motherboard and now it's in my attic, acting as a make shift stool.

I hope you get it sorted anyway Bobby, you need to finish Jane Shepard's legacy. ;)
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

This thread name should be changed to Bobby's Computer Dilemma's.
Or more accurately: Stop whining about stupid computers you berk. :lol:

What a breeze life would be if computer troubles were the only problems we faced. Anyhoo, this piece of crap isn't overheating as much since the cleaning by the bro-inlaw. I couldn't take a protective plate off but he has the right tools. So I might be able to play the less graphically intense games at least. *crosses fingers*