Conquistador Kickstarter is live

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Jaedar
Illuminati

Re: Conquistador Kickstarter is live

Post by Jaedar »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SrxYzbu ... r_embedded

Seems like the ai can move forward for better ranged hit chance, and then move back. Nice behavior there, although it probably should have retreated further.

Also, that looked really easy. Still fairly neat though.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

Yes; it does look fairly easy. But one thing that will always be difficult to showcase in videoes like these is difficulty.

Also, the first many fights in fallout are pretty easy. The later ones become much more strategic.
And honestly, the damage output of all the pieces on the battlefieldin this game is pretty high. That does mean the AI can get in and punish you if it's well programmed and you goof around.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

It's easy because I'm awesome (for obvious reasons). Everybody else in the office routinely gets their ass handed to them :D

In fact so do I, once in a while. You have to be pretty careful about what you do, it doesn't take many mistakes to lose control and go down in flames. Those barricades and traps that I "bought" for the video really helped out. I chose another fight to showcase, originally, where you raid a native village, and in my first attempt I put two of my soldiers forward a little too early on and they were both annihilated. It was all uphill to my inevitable defeat from there. I would've posted it for the hilarity of seeing a designer get demolished by his own game, but the commentary wasn't very good, unfortunately. The one I ended up using was my 5th attempt.

I'm not really supposed to post this yet, since the second half isn't up yet, but here's the first half of the second fight, that's about half-way into the first campaign, and I levelled my characters up a little bit more than you'll actually have them at that point, to show off some of their advanced abilities.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-D1Rh0y1FEY
When the second half is up, you'll see another flawless victory. It's not an easy fight, I just happened to play it pretty much perfectly :P
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

...I really hope you're successful with this.

...it seems to me that if you can get this kickstarter funded, you'll be pretty likely to be able to make a living off of games like this one....
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Third and final (for now) gameplay video is up :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9N3AeV-Z ... e=youtu.be

Thanks Æm, I hope so too. Obviously :D
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

Looking at the list of backers, it's like an ARMY. Jeez. Most of the backers have backed dozens or even a 100+ projects.
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

Late to the party, but finally checked out the Kickstarter.

Only to find it needs a creditcard and doesn't take like paypal or iDeal

And thus... I can't help #-o
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

You can do it through amazon, right? Amazon doesn't need a credit card, just a bank card, so debit should be fine.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

DDL wrote:You can do it through amazon, right? Amazon doesn't need a credit card, just a bank card, so debit should be fine.
It does indeed go through amazon.

It's kind of a shame it doesn't do paypal, but considering paypal has a tendency to freeze accounts when large sums of money appear/disappear it's probably for the best.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

Tried, and well, no dice. It *needs* a creditcard.

Time to convince my father. It's a little silly a grown-up man with his own apartment has to do so though... <_<

Oh well, for now, made a topic at Obsidian's forums;
http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/59853- ... ckstarter/

And here's some of my comments on the vids;
* Seem the AI is a bit too prone to die on attack-of-oportunity. Maybe they should (especially with low health) just try melee attacks instead, as your own characters do?
* Flanking might be a bit too powerful. I know a gridbased game which added something like it (Grotesque Tactics, well, stab in the back, not flank). And it made the combat worse than the first game, where it didn't matter much where your back was. It was a bit too much of a "you always need to fight like that". While it's certainly harder with flanking and 2 characters I kinda fear the same happening. Also that the AI really doesn't know about it. I can see it being powerful for the PC, but have a hard time seeing the AI utilising it, at all. Which makes it a poweful Player-only advantage, much like the weapon switching above.
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Hassat Hunter wrote:Oh well, for now, made a topic at Obsidian's forums;
http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/59853- ... ckstarter/
Thanks! :D
* Seem the AI is a bit too prone to die on attack-of-oportunity. Maybe they should (especially with low health) just try melee attacks instead, as your own characters do?
You are entirely correct, and they do so now actually. They still do kill themselves on AoO once in a while, because it's so satisfying to the player to set that up, but usually they'll switch to melee (and, if they're a trapper, suck really hard at it and still die by your sword on the next turn).
* Flanking might be a bit too powerful. I know a gridbased game which added something like it (Grotesque Tactics, well, stab in the back, not flank). And it made the combat worse than the first game, where it didn't matter much where your back was. It was a bit too much of a "you always need to fight like that". While it's certainly harder with flanking and 2 characters I kinda fear the same happening. Also that the AI really doesn't know about it. I can see it being powerful for the PC, but have a hard time seeing the AI utilising it, at all. Which makes it a poweful Player-only advantage, much like the weapon switching above.
Well you're just plain wrong there because the AI uses flanking quite well :)

And in a lot of situations, you'll get a couple of enemies standing together, which makes it difficult to get into a flanking position without provoking AoO.

But we'll see how it goes. Remember I'm playing it perfectly in those videos, judging from how people get on with it at Gamescom, the difficulty is definitely not too low. But we'll have detailed difficulty settings with handy presets just like in TNM, so it should be all good :)
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

@Hassat: Australia Post has got a thing going where you can "purchase" a credit card through them. I think you get to set the limit, it's basically for online purchases. I don't know if overseas custom is allowed, but if you like I can ask at my local post office on Monday.

Apologies for the spam (?!) http://shop.auspost.com.au/loadandgo?cm ... 2526721952
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
AEmer
Illuminati

Post by AEmer »

You're uh....you're not trending so well :-(

I really hope the effect of your gamescom participation will show once people actually return home....
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

I noticed the same thing.

@Hassat: If you can't convince your dad, but can wiretransfer, I can up my pledge with your amount and you can wire the money to me. I'm sure we can convince Jonas to send you goodies regardless :)
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

I think you should suck up the backers. When you hit $20k, post a hooray update. You know "wow you already got us to a massive 20k" Be positive, be nice. That works and costs nothing.

Also keep promoting the game obviously, but you're doing so already.